Why are my paycheck split values disappearing?

I am highly annoyed right now. I've been a loyal Quicken user for nearly two decades and it appears that recent updates have somehow corrupted several years of my data. I'm currently working with Quicken Build 27.1.31.20 and have been struggling with the same issue that the user who started the following discussion (which has subsequently been closed with NO resolution) struggled with:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884677/why-are-my-paycheck-split-values-disappearing

The Problem: I have my paycheck setup in Monthly Bills & Deposits with appropriate split transactions for income, taxes, deductions, etc. After I have entered these transactions in my checking account register (as a match to the transactions downloaded from my bank) I can no longer see the splits if I open the transaction! However, If I hover my cursor over the "split arrow" in the category portion of the transaction the pop up window properly displays the transaction splits. Additionally, I've noticed that I now get duplicate 401K deduction entries from each paycheck - one appears to be tied correctly to the split paycheck entries, and the other just mysteriously appears...I've read several threads on this subject dating all the way back to 2019 AND STILL NO RESOLUTION????

I'm ready to quit Quicken forever - can someone talk me off the ledge with a solution?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The referenced discussion has not been closed yet:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7861045/r22-12-broke-paycheck-function-still-broke-after-r29-xx/p1

Note: The status of a discussion has little correlation to the status of the issue being discussed.  A moderator may close or reopen a discussion whenever they choose.

As I suggested in the referenced discussion, you should be able to edit the paycheck transactions as a split (select the transaction and press Ctrl + Shift + S) and you may want to consider recreating the paycheck reminder.

• mblake5
    mblake5 Member
    Thank you for the assistance Sherlock!
  • amegosh
    amegosh Member
    Sherlock,

Has the underlying issue been fixed? I currently have about 50 paycheck entries to be fixed and will need to re-create two paycheck remainders. Not sure I want to go through the trouble if I'm going to lose future data.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    amegosh said:
    Sherlock,

Has the underlying issue been fixed? I currently have about 50 paycheck entries to be fixed and will need to re-create two paycheck remainders. Not sure I want to go through the trouble if I'm going to lose future data.
    The last update from Quicken in the referenced discussion was in December 2020:
    Hello @RichMD

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report that you are still experiencing this issue. I have moved your post to the ongoing thread for this topic.

This is still ongoing and being investigated, our development is working with customers experiencing this issue to further isolate the problem. 

I do not have an ETA to offer, unfortunately. However, this issue is actively being worked on.

If you have not done so already, please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".  In the subject line, please enter "CTP-536", select the box for each file listed, and when ready click Send to Quicken.

Thank you for your patience throughout this issue.

-Quicken Tyka
    The only published fix from the update release notes that may be relevant is from Release R31.5, January 2021:  

Fixed:
     Resolved issue syncing memorized split transactions.

• sagarwal
    sagarwal Member ✭✭
    It seems that I have spent an enormous amount of time to enter and re-enter the paycheck split to find they are gone after few days.
    Windows: Year 2020: Version R31.21: Build 27.2.31.20
  • Michael Cherry
    Michael Cherry Member
    Been with Quicken for 15 years and this is the first issue that has me on the ledge. The Ctrl-Shift+S trick brings up a split window with everything in it properly, but it's still not there when I go back and hit the green check in the Category column.

Like some other users, years of paychecks have been collapsed from 18 line items in a split down to just one, Earnings: Salary. Every paycheck from May 2017 until the one from 3 weeks ago that I entered manually. Even that one has the issue with the split details not showing up. April 2017 and prior and the one from last week are good.

I'll create a new paycheck reminder and turn off syncing to the cloud since I don't really access Quicken on my mobile device anyway. Seems ridiculous to me that I have to turn off features to avoid data corruption.

If I can't trust the application then I don't see why I should keep using it. It seems like it's time to start looking for other options. I've been sticking with Quicken because I have so much historic data there, but if my history is getting corrupted on me then there's little reason to stick with Quicken.
  • Tim Overlund
    Tim Overlund Member
    I have entered details of my paychecks so I can track such things as charitable giving, HSA and 401K contributions, etc. Over the past year plus, all of those split details have been deleted and just the Category Salary is left with the Net amount, so I can no longer validate my W-2 forms and break out any items needed for taxes.
  • Tim Overlund
    Tim Overlund Member
    I tried to copy an old paycheck transaction to reimport the detailed splits, but when I pasted the copy in and edited it for current details, the old transaction disappeared. Just wasted 2 hours tracking it down.
    Is there any workaround for this?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.

Please take a moment to open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem. As the subject please enter "ATTN: Sarah- Paycheck/Split Missing." Please include the logs as well as a sanitized data file in this report.

Please comment back to let me know when the report has been sent so it may be retrieved to investigate this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Tim Overlund
    Tim Overlund Member
    While the missing splits is a major issue, I would also like to hear about the copy and paste transaction issue deleting the original transaction. Is this also a known issue?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the missing splits is a major issue, I would also like to hear about the copy and paste transaction issue deleting the original transaction. Is this also a known issue?
    If you're referring to copying and pasting split transactions, it is an old issue.  After you paste the split transaction, you should save the transaction before modifying the split entries.  
  • rye614
    rye614 Member
    I'm having the same issue with split transactions missing. However, I did notice that one of the accounts related to a missing split had a correct balance. I have Net Metering with SCE, so monthly only pay a small transaction fee, then pay the final utility bill annually. The balance for the Net Metering account is correct, even though the account is not listed as a split in the monthly data entries.
    Also, my Memorized Splits are not entering in new transactions. I also have very detailed payroll splits, so this is annoying.
  • MacMc
    MacMc Member
    I have just sent a report of the problem with a full explanation and the logs and data file requested. I hope they will soon fix the problem. Now back to reconstructing the paycheck entries for Jan and Feb! I also had problems with the copy/paste feature. If this is a known and old problem, why can't it be fixed?
  • sagarwal
    sagarwal Member ✭✭
    edited March 13
    [Removed-Duplicate/Inaccurate]
  • Mako
    Mako Member ✭✭
    edited March 14
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Please comment back to let me know when the report has been sent so it may be retrieved to investigate this issue further.

Hi I have reported the issue through the Quicken menu.

This has appeared suddenly with R31.20.
  • longtimeusersfd
    longtimeusersfd Member
    edited March 24
    [Removed - Disruptive/Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • Jeff Grashof
    Jeff Grashof Member
    @Quicken_Tyka I have uploaded my data file and logs. My paycheck entries are messed up going back to July 2020. I am running Windows 10, R32.10 Build 27.1.32.10
  • tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭
    Are any of the users who are having this issue sync'ing with Quicken Mobile? It has been overwriting memorized transactions for months now, I've had it happen to me numerous times so I quit using mobile quicken for this reason. This is a known issue and Quicken's developers have not fixed it yet nor show any inclination of fixing it.
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    edited April 7
    > @tnmats said:
    > Are any of the users who are having this issue sync'ing with Quicken Mobile? It has been overwriting memorized transactions for months now, I've had it happen to me numerous times so I quit using mobile quicken for this reason. This is a known issue and Quicken's developers have not fixed it yet nor show any inclination of fixing it.

YES - this issue with the sync process corrupting memorized transactions has been reported in numerous threads. Once I disabled sync, no more corrupted transactions with One Step Update. My issues are completely reproducible and it is always the same transactions that are affected.

[removed - inaccurate]
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited April 7
    Hello All,

If you haven't already, please see the information and test build available here.  Our development teams are actively working to resolve this issue and would appreciate it if you are affected by this issue to please install the test build and let us know if the solution included in the build does resolve this behavior for you.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah Curious as to why I haven't been pointed to this test build before... I am extremely reluctant to try your "test build" as I have reasonable concerns that it may make matters worse. I've already invested many hours fixing data corruption caused by Quicken releases that were supposed to fix the problem. Normally I would jump right on this but prior experience makes me very leery - sort of like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. Been there, done that.

Has a single user reported that this test build has corrected the problem?
  • sethwalter
    sethwalter Member
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.
    >
    > Please take a moment to open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem. As the subject please enter "ATTN: Sarah- Paycheck/Split Missing." Please include the logs as well as a sanitized data file in this report.
    >
    > Please comment back to let me know when the report has been sent so it may be retrieved to investigate this issue further.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > -Quicken Tyka

I have uploaded the report.
  • Ralph Knox
    Ralph Knox Member ✭✭
    I have reported the problem with logs, sanitized data file, and screen captures of missing splits including ctrl shift S version. I would consider trying test build if there is some explanation and context provided as to what the issue is, what is being tried, and if there has been any progress.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Ralph Knox

Thank you for submitting the report and following up with the issue. The comment regarding testing is an older comment and currently, there is no build being tested. 

The test build was incorporated into the latest release. To confirm you are on the current release, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are running.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ralph Knox
    Ralph Knox Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka, I am running version R33.24 (27.1.33.24)
  • SeaMonster
    SeaMonster Member ✭✭
    I am running R33.24 on windows and I just found all my old paycheck in this state. If I click the green split check mark, I get the paycheck window and all fields are empty. But if I mouse-over the field, I can see data, and if I do ctrl-shift-S I do see all the split lines. One interesting thing is that each paycheck has 2 transfers in it. One to the FSA and one to a 401k. Both the FSA and the 401k have the correct balances and both show all the transfers as regular entries, and NOT as transfers. When I do the ctrl-shift-S on the paycheck entry, I see that both transfers are to "[Unspecified Account]".

OK, so then I tried editing a paycheck to change both occurrances of [Unspecified Account] to the correct accounts. The change sticks, but it doesn't fix the paycheck entry (which still is empty when I click the green check mark) and now the other accounts are wrong and have double entries.

As best I can tell, this happened about a month ago, so going back to a backup (which I have) is unreasonable because I would loose everything since then.

Please provide a fix!!
  • maratekin
    maratekin Member
    I, too, am having this issue. I've spent a lot of time fixing the unspecified account issues and rectifying the duplicate entries that result. Assuming this has been fixed (as was indicated in another thread), is there a process or procedure we need to run to comprehensively fix this issue? As it stands, I am finding I need to return to this issue and re-fix things about every month or so.

I also do not know the extent of the problem - is there a way to create a report that shows all entries with a category of [Unspecified Account]? I do not see this as an option in the reporting spec dialogue box.