Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Restoring sounds for certain features.

Does anyone have a fix for restoring the "cha-ching" cash register sound when entering a register transaction? I am using Quicken-Deluxe Ver 31.20. Have been a Quicken user since c.1997 but have recently lost this feature. I've checked for the proper checkmark in settings. Other sounds seem to work, but not this specific one. Quicken Support has taken my call for help over a month ago, but have yet to get an acknowledgement from them. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @John Micena,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not this is caused by an issue within your current data file.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account (you can add a manual account for testing by clicking +Offline Account)

After adding an account, navigate to Edit > Preferences > Setup> Turn on Quicken sounds > OK, then navigate to the account register and add a new manual transaction to see if you experience the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
  • John Micena
    John Micena Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response, Anja. I am running Quicken Deluxe ver. R31.20, Build 27.1.31.20. I will try your suggestion next and get back to you.
  • John Micena
    John Micena Member ✭✭
    Anja. I followed your suggestions and got no sounds at all in the New File. The "enable Sounds" checkbox is checked. Any other suggestions?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    Quicken has a section in the Windows Sound Control Panel. Go there and make sure the "Record" sound is enabled and associated with the correct qrecord.wav file.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @John Micena,

Thanks for trying the test filing and providing an update, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Try the suggestion previously provided by @Rocket J Squirrel first. However, should that still not resolve the issue for you, then I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • John Micena
    John Micena Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both Anja and Rocket J Squirrel. Squirrel's suggestion to use the Windows Sound Control Panel did the trick. However, after applying the various sound .wav files, shutting down and relaunching the Quicken App the sounds are no longer are enabled. If I enter the Sound Control Panel and test the "record" sound, it works fine until I the next time I try to use Quicken. Please advise if any more ideas.
  • Quicken Anja
    @John Micena Thanks for the update!

I'm glad to hear Rocket J Squirrel's seems to work for you. However, since the setting doesn't seem to stick and save; I suggest trying the clean uninstall/reinstall process referenced in the support article from my previous response.

Once that's been completed, you may need to go back into preferences to make sure the setting is selected. Then, try closing and reopening the program to see if it saved and remembers the setting for Quicken sounds.
    -Quicken Anja
  • John Micena
    John Micena Member ✭✭
    Hello Anja. I've tried everything you suggested and had Quicken Support Technician help me as well in two separate sessions. Nothing seems to work. So, I've given up further trials to get these settings to save and be available each time I open Quicken. Thanks for your help but I still have the same issues I had when we started this journey.
  • John Micena
    John Micena Member ✭✭
    My thanks to Rocket J Squirrel for your suggestions as well.