Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

After subscription expires, Max Dataset Exceeds error. Where is the Data Access Guarantee

LT2021
LT2021 Member ✭✭
edited March 2 in Before you Buy
I contacted support to ask if they would clean up datasets but they refused because my subscription has expired. The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. Feb 22, 2021 I cant access my data without this being fixed. I don't use any online features, I should be able to access my data manually. This error never appeared until after the subscription expired. Error: You have exceeded the maximum number of datasets. You cannot create a new file or perform your current task. Contact support.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Relevant portion of the "Quicken Terms of Use"

"The Membership Term. The Membership Term is the amount of time for which you have full rights to use the Products and Services. The Membership Term is generally either one (1) or two (2) years, depending on your choice at the time of purchase, but we may sometimes offer trial Memberships of shorter duration. If you purchase your Membership directly from Quicken at Quicken.com, your Membership term starts at the time of purchase. For retail sales of a physical package (either through an online seller or in a physical store), or for retail sales via digital download other than on Quicken.com, the Membership Term begins at Product activation. At the end of the Membership Term some features and functionality of our Products and Services will no longer be available to you. However, you will still have access to your data and limited Product functionality as defined under the Quicken Data Access Guarantee (below)."

"Quicken Data Access Guarantee. When your Membership ends certain features will no longer be available. These may include, without limitation, features such as download, data sync, mobile sync, quotes, and any other Products and Services that require online access or are provided by a third party (including our Suppliers).

Our Data Access Guarantee ensures that you will always be able to have access to your transaction data even after your Membership ends. Using manual data entry, you will be able to add new transactions and accounts to your data files. You will also be able to access, view, and export your financial data using currently supported formats and file types.

NOTE: THE DATA ACCESS GUARANTEE DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY DATA BACKUP OR STORAGE FEATURES. ALL DATA WILL RESIDE ON YOUR DEVICE. ANY DATA THAT YOU FAIL TO MANUALLY BACK UP MAY BE LOST AND UNRECOVERABLE. YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MAINTAINING BACKUP COPIES OF ALL SUCH DATA FOLLOWING TERMINATION OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP.

NOTE: THE DATA ACCESS GUARANTEE APPLIES TO DELUXE AND HIGHER VERSIONS OF QUICKEN; THE STARTER VERSION WILL BECOME READ-ONLY."

It's not clear why, if your subscription expired why datasets would grow.  Maybe call them up again and ask for a supervisor.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2
    LT2021 said: I contacted support to ask if they would clean up max datasets but they refused because my subscription has expired.
    Did you happen to copy or restore a Quicken QDF file -
    [edit] - I have updated the topic title to better reflect the Max Datasets issue
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I personally believe this is a violation of the Data Access Guarantee.  I know what is causing it is a "technical problem", but that doesn't mean that it isn't a violation.

From above:
    Tom Young said:
    Our Data Access Guarantee ensures that you will always be able to have access to your transaction data even after your Membership ends. Using manual data entry, you will be able to add new transactions and accounts to your data files.
    Clearly @LT2021 can do that, he/she is block from even getting into the data file.

And a "circular loop" has been created.

The problem here is that Quicken is creating "data sets" on the server (even if the subscription has lapsed) for operations like doing a restore.  And there is a limited amount of these data sets allowed.

The current workaround for this problem is to call Quicken support and have them remove a data set so that you are under the max number allowed.

But the fact that his/hers subscription has lapses also means that Quicken support isn't available.  This puts the users in a non usable state that violates the Data Access Guarantee.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there a 30 day no questions asked refund policy? 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:

So it is expected that the customer should pay to renew the subscription, so that Quicken Inc will now allow them to call support and "fix" the problem, and then get a refund because this the only reason the renewed?

And if so what happens the next time?
    Note that the very fact that this happens because of a restore is something that should have never happened.  Their policies have caused this "technical problem", and the customer shouldn't have to take such steps to workaround such policies.
    Signature:
  • LT2021
    LT2021 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW you are exactly right. I cannot manually put any entries in the check register. I have not restored from a backup. I have backed up data on my hard drive only. I should not have to renew my subscription to get this fixed. I don't want to the subscription OR for them to have my credit card number so they can Auto Renew the subscription. My data is being held hostage and they know this.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well the fact that you haven't restored from a backup brings up another point.
    We have been told that doing a restore triggers creating an new data set in the cloud account. But in fact I don't think that has been verified (I don't know anyone that feels like doing restores of their data until they hit this problem).  On top of that I think there is more to it that isn't been told.  Maybe even because they don't really know themselves.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    LT2021 said:  My data is being held hostage and they know this.
    just to clarify - this problem normally happens when multiple copies or restores or different Quicken QDF data files are used and their internal tracking IDs max out the number of slots....
    So... can you walk us thru how and when the Max Datasets error presented itself ?
    When all was working - and then what happened -
    any Mobile App or Quicken Cloud access ?

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    mshiggins said:

So it is expected that the customer should pay to renew the subscription, so that Quicken Inc will now allow them to call support and "fix" the problem, and then get a refund because this the only reason the renewed?

And if so what happens the next time?
    Note that the very fact that this happens because of a restore is something that should have never happened.  Their policies have caused this "technical problem", and the customer shouldn't have to take such steps to workaround such policies.
    Pardon me for suggesting a workaround. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have done some testing with an expired license.

@LT2021 try this, when the max datasets message comes up select OK.  You might have to do it multiple times.  I encountered and if kept selecting OK it eventually got in.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Pardon me for suggesting a workaround. 

I'm sorry, I didn't want to offend you or diminish your suggestion.  My comment was more a statement about what I think of Quicken Inc business practices that require such measures to get around the problems they have created.
    Signature:
  • LT2021
    LT2021 Member ✭✭
    No offense taken. I talked to supervisor @Quicken Support and had no chose but to pay the ransom and renew the subscription to gain access to my data again. Although I had used it manually for a year without renewal it just stopped working correctly. I got the data set errors but was also getting an error about invalid date format. After the renewal the dataset error stopped but the date format error did not. The only way to correct was to update to last version of software and then poof all was well in the world. They did give me a 25% disc to renew and showed me how to turn off auto renew in my account. Issue resolved.
This discussion has been closed.