Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

The Password Vault freezes Quicken

I have copied this question to the Canadian Quicken site.

I have upgraded to Quicken Home and Business version R28.15 . I could never get the vault to open before, but now I cannot even delete the Password Vault and start over. The only option I get under the tools menu is "set up a new Password Vault...." That immediately freezes Quicken. I had posted a similar question before and tried all the options laid out there, including a "mondo" file, with similar results. This is becoming problematic because without access to the Vault, Onestep Update cannot be updated with the correct information to automatically download bank account transactions. Any help appreciated.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Doug Dubowski,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
  • Doug Dubowski
    Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    will give the above a go. In the interim, I went into my hidden accounts and deactivated a number of old accounts no longer in use that were included in the one step update and tried one step update again. It appears to freeze, but after restarting the program, there were 145 downloaded transactions in one of my credit card accounts. All of these transactions had already been previously downloaded, entered and reconciled within Quicken credit card account. No idea where they came from and why they would show up again. Not sure what is happening.
  • Doug Dubowski
    Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    Tried the procedure described above to copy my file and validate the copy. No change in the program. Only have one selection to set up a new password vault and when selected, Quicken freezes.
  • Doug Dubowski
    Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    Also tried the "SuperValidate" option as well on the copied file. No luck with the Vault. What does copying the file do to the orginal and copied files?