Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Prompted for Data File Password - never set one up

Nick0131
Nick0131 Member ✭✭
This morning (3/3/2021) when I started Quicken, a prompt for Data File Password appeared. Never had this before. I entered my Quicken password but it was rejected. I read in an Aug 2020 comment a solution was to sign-out of 'everything' and try again. When I attempted to sign out there was an immediate 'server error'. Maybe a system problem this morning?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click the "Forgot password?" link on the password dialog and follow the steps.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    PS: make sure you're on Release 31.20 before trying to reset the password.

Version R31.20 (February, 2021)

Improvements

• Updated and fixed issues with process for resolving lost data file passwords.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • jilliedp
    jilliedp Member
    I got the same thing today. Tried both suggestions. Did not work.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Version and Release are you running - .... Help --> About Quicken
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Nick0131
    Nick0131 Member ✭✭
    I was using current version and release. I played with it for some time, using suggestions found via internet. Since I back up my system drive weekly I decided to bite the bullet and restore it. Everything worked fine.

I am a light, but consistent user, keeping track of investments only. Print a couple of reports most days. Whenever prompted to update I do.

It is my uninformed opinion that something happened between the cloud vs my desktop. I do think it is a bug of some sort. But, the circumstances when it occurs and how to fix would take time to figure out. I have never called the help line, so I do not know if they have answers.

Thanks and good luck. If you find solution it would be good to post. This is not the 1st time this problem has cropped up.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick0131 said: I was using current version and release.
    Doesn't really mean anything -
    which is why we always ask for the exact info
    What Version and Release are you running - .... Help --> About Quicken

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.