Why SD card problems with Quicken files on it - Read-Only ?

oldngrmpy1
oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to understand why when I use a SD card with a Quicken file on it,  I get a " This is a read file only" notification when I try to open files on the card. I tried several other SD cards also, and yes they are unlocked with the switch on the card. This is odd  and doesn't happen with flash drives only SD cards. Is there an explainable reason for this to happen.? This is happening on a newest generation Lenovo laptop. Is this a Quicken issue, PC issue, or some kind of application problem?

Best Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you are using either SD or flash drive as the location Quicken is launched from, that is your problem. Quicken requires the data file being accessed to be on a local HD. You can use either external data type for storing backups, not launched data.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Was curious - so ran a quick test....
    Copy a small Quicken QDF data file to USB flash drive - opens & runs fine.
    Copy same Quicken QDF data file to SDcard in USB/SDcard adapter - runs fine.
    Only issue - running Qwin R30.21 - receive this new warning message....
    BUT... file opens, runs, saves - no Read-Only Warning -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you are using either SD or flash drive as the location Quicken is launched from, that is your problem. Quicken requires the data file being accessed to be on a local HD. You can use either external data type for storing backups, not launched data.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Was curious - so ran a quick test....
    Copy a small Quicken QDF data file to USB flash drive - opens & runs fine.
    Copy same Quicken QDF data file to SDcard in USB/SDcard adapter - runs fine.
    Only issue - running Qwin R30.21 - receive this new warning message....
    BUT... file opens, runs, saves - no Read-Only Warning -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Version and Release - and Expiration Date ...... Help --> About Quicken
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine-Qwin R31,20 Build 27.1.31.20. You mentioned "Only issue-running Qwin 30.21. That's different than mine! Did you mean 31.20?
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    So if I have an SD card with different files from different computers along with a quicken file from my desktop, I won't be able to open one of those different files on another PC if it is not the PC that the Quicken file originated from?