Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken for Client

Hi

My new client wants to use Quicken rather than Quickbooks Online. My question is when I finally set the client up, should we purchase the CD so they can upload to their computer and I can use the CD to upload to my computer? Or can this be done online once they purchase Quicken? Thank you.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone may download and install Quicken: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe

Quicken requires an active subscription to create and modify a Quicken file.  

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4
    415Accounting said:   My new client wants to use Quicken rather than Quickbooks Online.
    What is the relationship - are you their accounting person -
    Do they have a small biz or is it just personal info -
    Quicken is personal or small biz financial software - that runs on a single desktop.
    As mentioned, you can download the software and purchase a 1 year license subscription.  There is also the Quicken Cloud that would allow access to certain selected account info via the Quicken App or browser Quicken on the Web.
    Quicken is NOT a shared cloud financial software product.
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Also note that Quicken, unlike Quickbooks, does NOT have an "Accountant Copy" feature ... where the client can send you a file, you can modify it, and your changes are incorporated into their file when you return the modified file to them.
    In Quicken, it's an "all or nothing" proposition ... no partial updates.
    You, and the client, need to look into "remote viewing" so that you can connect to their computer and their copy of Q to review events and make needed changes
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • 415Accounting
    415Accounting Member
    Hi

I just got a new client to handle their accounting and they want Quicken over Quickbooks Online. Questions I have are:

*Does the Client purchase Quicken and install on their computer then give me a log-in for their file?

*How do I get Quicken on my computer? I have an older version of Quicken so I would have to use the Clients version.

*I'm pretty sure we would have to send the company file back and forth since the file is not 100% online. Is that correct?

Any other ideas I need before getting the client on-board?

Thanks so much for any help

Ronnie
  • 415Accounting
    415Accounting Member
    Thanks everyone for your input. It really helps.
  • 415Accounting
    415Accounting Member
    Sorry, I got my answers pretty quickly. No need to respond. I don't know how to close out this question. Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sorry, I got my answers pretty quickly. No need to respond. I don't know how to close out this question. Thanks.

I've asked the Mods to combine this thread into your other on the same topic.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • 415Accounting
    415Accounting Member
    Hi

I'm an accountant and my new client is purchasing Quicken for her personal and business.

Once she downloads the program, how does she give access to me? I believe there is an additional log-in but does she set that up?

I know we would have to pass the Quicken file back and forth after I do reconciliations etc.

I'm just right at that point of setting her up but want to make sure of the next steps.

Thanks for any help.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a variety of ways you may access your client's Quicken file.

In my opinion, the simplest approach is to have remote desktop access to your client's machine.  There are a variety of implementations available.  One of the easiest to setup and use is TeamViewer.

To open the Quicken file, you need to know the Quicken file password if one exists.

If you'll be performing any Online Services, you may need to know the Password Vault password.  

You may also need to know a Quicken ID and Quicken ID password associated with an appropriate active Quicken subscription.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have suggested to the mods
    that this be merged with your other 3 threads discussing this same exact Q&A -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10