Sync Errors on Sync Now for the Cloud

Eagle
Eagle Member ✭✭
Hello all. Hope you are all keeping safe and sane!

I have been getting this error message and I can't find a resolution.
I have tried voiding, deleting, and maybe a few other things! I lost track.
Can someone point me to a narrative that talks about this and possible solutions?
Or might have a definitive solution to the problem?

Thanks
Bob
Windows 10
Quicken 2020 (see attachment for more detail)

Thanks for listening ...
Bob
Win10 Home
Quicken 2020 Subscription

Can't seem to add an image in my signature.
What are the size restrictions? Or rules?

Answers

• Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 4
    @Sherlock has a great writeup of the steps (first try reset, if that doesn't work, delete the cloud dataset, finally call/chat with quicken support).

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887057/illegal-operation-message-impeding-cloud-synch

You may wish to blank out email addresses and personal information in screenshots. They're immensely helpful, but redact private stuff.

I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     I suggest you reset your cloud data: select Edit > Preferences...Mobile & Web, and Reset your cloud data

If the issue persists, I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud accountassociated with the original Quicken file. 

After deleting the cloud account, you do need to open the original Quicken file and sync for the accounts to be available on the web or through the mobile app.  The initial sync may take some time to complete.

If the issue continues to persist, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response Sherlock and Studpup.
    I will try the steps and thanks for the reminder about redacting.
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home

• Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Sherlock ...
    I have done the cloud reset, several times, but the illegal operation error still persists.
    So, it is the next steps that I am having problems with them.
    You say create a new Quicken file without any accounts.
    Do I use option 1 or option 2?
    The first has accounts and the second creates an account.
    I am not sure what to do at this point. I need a little more detail on how to actually delete the cloud account.
    It seems that if Quicken knows how to detect an error, then it should be able to issue a error code indicating what the problem/solution is.
    Instead of just saying illegal operation (0).
    Just saying ...
    Thanks for taking time to listen and help.
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home

• Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Sherlock ... I apologize if this post has been duplicated, but I have been having trouble getting a post through.
    I'll try here.

Sherlock, thanks for writing up the steps, but I am having some trouble understanding it.
    I have done the cloud reset, several times, but the illegal operation error still persists.
    I have created a test file. The first option creates a data file that is similar to the current data file. It has accounts.
    Your comment ...
    ... For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) 'without any accounts', enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. ...

My test file has accounts, you said 'without any accounts'.
    So, how to do that?
    Second option asks you set up an account.
    So, could you please go over the steps for me.
    As I understand it, you want to create a test file, so you can use it to delete the cloud account from your current file. Is that correct? If not, please set me straight.
    I may understand that, but still don't know what to do.
    I hope that we can figure this out as I am not getting anywhere with it.
    And it appears that others are having issues with the illegal operation too.
    I wonder if Q is taking a look at it?
    It seems that if Q knows how to detect an error, then it should know how to issue a message indicating what the problem is and a code/solution. Instead of just saying illegal operation.
    Just saying ...
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagle said:
    Sherlock ... I apologize if this post has been duplicated, but I have been having trouble getting a post through.
    I'll try here.

Sherlock, thanks for writing up the steps, but I am having some trouble understanding it.
    I have created a test file. The first option creates a data file that is similar to the current data file. It has accounts.
    Your comment ...
    ... For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) 'without any accounts', enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. ...

My test file has accounts, you said 'without any accounts'.
    So, how to do that?
    Second option asks you set up an account.
    So, could you please go over the steps for me.
    As I understand it, you want to create a test file, so you can use it to delete the cloud account from your current file. Is that correct? If not, please set me straight.
    I may understand that, but still don't know what to do.
    I hope that we can figure this out as I am not getting anywhere with it.
    And it appears that others are having issues with the illegal operation too.
    I wonder if Q is taking a look at it?
    It seems that if Q knows how to detect an error, then it should know how to issue a message indicating what the problem is and a code/solution. Instead of just saying illegal operation.
    Just saying ...
    Bob
      To create a new Quicken file without any accounts, select File > New Quicken File...press Enter, enter a name, press Enter.  After Quicken creates the file, Quicken will prompt for a name for the new cloud account to associate with the new file.  If you do not want to enable sync at this time, choose Don't use mobile & web.  After selecting NextQuicken should prompt to add an account.  After you select Add Account, select Cancel and you will have created a new Quicken file without any accounts.

To use a Quicken file to access the list of cloud accounts associated with the same Quicken ID, the Quicken file needs to have Sync enabled: select Edit > Preferences...

To apply the change, select OK.

To access the list of cloud accounts associated with the Quicken ID: select Edit > Preferences...

You should be able to select and delete every cloud account except the one with the asterisk because it is associated with the Quicken file you currently have open.