Unable to input SALE of stock.

Whirly
Whirly Member ✭✭
I am trying to enter the sale of a stock and I keep getting the message "You should use 2 transactions, one to sell the shares you hold and one to create your short position." Problem is I am selling all of my shares and I click the button "Sell all shares in the account" so Quicken knows I am selling all the shares. The history of this stock is that it was listed on a Canadian Exchange but closed that listing and moved to the USA. It consolidated its shares and the fractional shares were "sold" for a cash payment. I am now selling the remaining shares. I assume there is some internal rounding error in Quicken that is causing the problem and even Quicken doesn't know about it because it enters ALL my shares but it also can't get it right. I'm using the Canadian Subscription version. My confidence in Quicken is quickly evaporating with all the technical issues I'm getting.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Whirly

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what release of Quicken you are using. 

How are you entering this transaction? Are you entering the transaction directly into the register or using the "Enter Transactions" button?

If not using the "Enter Transactions" option, can you please do so and capture a screenshot of the window so we may see the information you are attempting to enter?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • Whirly
    Whirly Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,
    Your message said I could reply to your email but my email got bounced back. You should change that message.

Thanks for replying. I am using the Canadian Subscription version which you should be aware of. However, the version is R28.15 and build 27.1.28.15.

I always use the “Enter Transaction” button. I’ve never tried to use the register to enter stock transactions. I did not know that was possible.

I can't see how to attach two pictures of what happens when I use the “Enter Transaction” button. I check the “all shares” button and I still get the error message.

However, I tried entering the transaction in the Register and it worked, so thanks for that. However, Quicken has a problem with rounding errors and I’ve got 3 stocks that I sold a decade ago that suddenly are showing up with .000001, .000011 and .000004 shares remaining and no way to get rid of them.

Thanks for helping with this problem.
    Earl
  • Paul Makulski
    Paul Makulski Member ✭✭
    Tyka, I have exactly this same problem. So close it is scary.
    I have 3 mutual funds I sold back in 2008.
    Very recently, they started appearing in my Account Overview as .000007, .000025 and .000004 . They were not there a few months ago.
    If I try and make a transaction to sell the .000007 shares, I get the "use two transactions" message.
    If I go back to the 2008 sell transaction and click the box "sell all shares in the account", it provides the correct number of shares but it will not accept it. It gives the "use 2 transactions" message.
    The share count now seems to have too many decimal places of precision for Quicken to handle.
    Am I stuck with these phantom holdings forever??

I and using the Canadian subscription for Home & Business

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Paul Makulski  Go back and edit the final sale transaction for each of those transactions. Change the transaction to a "Sell All", and leave everything else alone ... especially the total  $ of the sale.
    Q recently expanded the number of decimal points in the investment ledger ... and what you've got is a few miniscule  shares that were previously hidden and are now visible.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Whirly
    Whirly Member ✭✭
    Does not work. Just tried it and there is a residual .000009 shares that show up BUT Quicken will not accept the sale. I get the error message to input the sale as two transactions, one to sell the shares and one to create the short sale. This is what we've been telling you. It is impossible to get rid of this small residual amount. You can't add or delete the shares. You can't sell them. Nothing does it.
  • Paul Makulski
    Paul Makulski Member ✭✭
    Alas, I did exactly that. Back to final sale transaction; Click Sell all; Try to save - get the "Use 2 transactions" message.
    I think what you say might work if the decimal precision was heavy. But in this case the decimal precision is light, so it is trying to sell more shares than it thins are there.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Have each of you tried Validating your Q data file?  This could be a file corruption issue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Whirly
    Whirly Member ✭✭
    I validated my file just before doing this. I also had it recalculate share balances. Made no difference.
  • Paul Makulski
    Paul Makulski Member ✭✭
    I ran the validation (which I have never done before). It found and fixed a number of things. (Finally found that phantom $100 out of balance hiding in an improperly voided transaction!).
    But this problem (tiny fractional shares unable to eliminate) was not fixed.

However ... ta da ! ... I figured it out.
    As I pointed out, I was unable to sell or remove the fraction, or change the fraction in the final sell all transaction.
    But in each of the three cases, there was a stock split transaction somewhere in the stock history. Going to the most recent stock split transaction I was able to change the new share number.
    e.g. In the stock that had a phantom balance of .000004
    the final stock split new share amount was 151.45687
    I changed it to 151.456866
    And voila! The current holding of .000004 disappears.

Looks like the stock split transaction has more decimals of precision than the sell transaction.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Paul. I noticed that there were stock splits or stock reorganizations in the transactions. However, I think I did change the amount of shares by the fraction with no luck. I'll have to retry that. I won't comment until I try that again. But clearly Quicken has a rounding issue that they haven't addressed.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6
    Just to make sure that there is no maths problems in your account registers you can make Quicken recalculate them from the beginning, because totals are obviously built up from the accumulated transactions. If you go into your specific Investment register and go to the last transaction, then Hit Ctrl+Z Quicken will recalculate everything. If there are no errors it will return you to the first transaction in the register. If there are problems - I am not sure how it indicates as I have never had a problem. If it does find or indicated something to be fixed let me know how it does so? You have to do this for each register separately if you have multiple.

Also on the total file you can ask Quicken to recalculate investment lots (Similar?) by going to File Menu, File operations, validate and repair, then select the middle option called "Rebuild Investment Lots" and tick this and OK. Quicken will through up the log file at the end - scroll to the bottom to find out if found any fixes it implemented. 

• Whirly
    Whirly Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Dave. This did not work. While I solved the problem with other comments, Quicken did not let me reconcile my statement and was again showing that the transaction needed to be entered in two stages (the sale and the short sale). However, I was able to do a work around by going back to my register and showing the sale as "cleared" and then going back into reconciliation and it was then able to complete the reconciliation. So many bugs in this supposedly improved version in the last 5 years. Can't see myself renewing at year end.