Opening balance in projected balance window is wrong

The opening balance for an account in the Projected Balances window is different from the current register balance. The register balance is correct, but the opening balance in Projected Balances is wrong. This throws all of the projected balances out of whack by the difference.

There are no overdue bills or income in the Bill and Income Reminders window. There were no errors in a super validation.

How can I diagnose and fix this?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @chrisd49,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, to start with, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken is behaving as if there are one or more overdue reminders impacting the projected balance.  I suggest you press Ctrl + J, select the All Bills & Deposits tab, left-click on the Due column title (you want the small triangle to the right of Due to point up).  Any Overdue reminders should appear at the top.  Note: Quicken does not project transfers on split entries of bill or income reminders appropriately.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

If the issue persists, I suggest you recreate the account register.  You may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • chrisd49
    chrisd49 Member ✭✭
    Hello @"Quicken Anja"

I have Quicken 2020, version R31.20, builr 27.1.31.20

As mentioned in my query, I have already done a super validate and it did not fix the issue.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @chrisd49 said:
    As mentioned in my query, I have already done a super validate and it did not fix the issue.
    Thank you for pointing that out, and I apologize for missing it!

In that case, then may I ask if you have tried to copy the file first and then tried validating in the copied file?

If you not, then I suggest you try this as creating a copy of your data file first will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables first. Then, try to Validate the data file again, but in the copied file. Please, follow the steps below in order to copy the file. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    Once the copied file opens, you can then try to Validate and/or Super validate again in the copied file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
  • chrisd49
    chrisd49 Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Let us know how it goes!

I tried the copy & validate, and the error was not fixed.

From the screen caps, note that:

1. The opening balance in projected balances ($1,597.43) is not the same as the register balance ($1,807.43).

2. Projected balances shows $1,329.70 in overdue bills or income, but there are no overdue reminders in the bill & income reminders screen.
  • chrisd49
    chrisd49 Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock

Thanks for the response. I tried the copy & validate, but the problem was not fixed.

I also tried recreating the account register as you suggested, but Quicken crashes when I copy the transactions from the original account. Maybe there are just too many (the account goes back to 1993).