Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

"Subclass List is full" error message from Quicken

I can add a tag to a transaction without any problem. Clicking the Multiple button, I can add a second tag. It appears separated by a colon from the first tag. However going to another field or attempting to save the transaction results in the error message: "Subclass List is full". Have tried various different fields and transactions.
Have both Googled this message and searched for it here in the Community with no hits. Why is this message generated, what does it mean and how can it be avoided so that multiple tags can be entered? And yes I remember back to when tags were called classes.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7
    As I recall, each uniquely ordered combination of classes (aka tags) forms a subclass and the error should mean the Quicken file has reached the supported limit.   Quicken Support documents the Quicken file limits at: https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file  Although the documentation doesn't explicitly call out subclasses, I suspect they're included within tags.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using?   US or Canadian version?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    How many Tags are in your Tag List (Tools Menu / Tag List)? Estimate. I can't find any documentation about limits to the number of tags you can have.

• Acarolinensis
    Acarolinensis Member ✭✭
    Quicken Premier 2020, Vers R31.20, Build 27.1.31.20, membership valid for 341 days. Assume US version as nothing is specifically stated. Windows 7 SP1 Pro. 8 GB RAM, 71 GB free / 348 GB total HD, i5 processor.

Number of tags: 5 screens @ 28 tags/screen + 24 remaining = 140 + 24 = 164

" Size or Capacity Limitations of a Quicken Data File

Product Version: WINDOWS

In a Quicken file you can have:
    3. Categories, subcategories, and tags - Up to 32,768 of each; subcategories can be nested 16 levels deep;
    Note: Once the limit has been reached, there is no way to decrease the limit count. For example, deleting an account will not "free-up" the code-line occupied by that account. This means that you cannot delete list elements and then be able to create new ones. Your only option once the limit is reached is to start a new Quicken file, keeping the current file as a historical copy.

Last updated: 11/18/2019
    Article ID: GEN82708 "
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the pertinent question may be: How many columns appear in the Cash Flow by Tag report or rows in the Itemized Tags report customized to include all accounts (including hidden) and all dates?  Note: This may still under count the number of classes and subclasses as it is not likely Quicken reclaims the identifiers when there no longer referenced.
  • Acarolinensis
    Acarolinensis Member ✭✭
    Cash Flow by Tag report, all dates/all accounts including hidden:
    Exported to Excel XLSX file.
    Using formula =COUNT(D9:FV9) = 175 from first to last specific tag columns having verified that all cell values are numeric. Eyeballing seems consistent with ~175 result.
    Would wildly guess that have not deleted more than 50 labels/tags over evolving data files' lives from Qkn 3 (MS-DOS).