How to transfer Quicken 2004 or 2012 to a new computer?

I have used Quicken 2004 for many years. I recently bought a new computer, and can't figure out how to make it work on the new one. I copied the entire folder and the QIF file, but the program won't run. I have moved and no longer have the original CD, etc. I have no recollection of ever needing a password, but am asked for one. Am I totally out of luck?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First, you need to install and update Quicken 2004 to Release R5 on the new computer.  I suggest you pull the Quicken 2004 updates from: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2004-patches.html

Second, you should copy the Quicken 2004 data sets or backups to a folder on a local drive of the new computer.  The Quicken 2004 data sets are the files with the QDF, QSD, QEL, QPH, and IDX suffixes.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Geezer said:
    Didn't work. Says it won't work with this version.
    I suspect you may be attempting to install Quicken 2004 on Windows 10.  If so, I suggest you install the free Quicken 2013 Deluxe and apply the Release R12 Mondo update instead.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8 Accepted Answer
    Geezer said:
    I did it, although it said it was version 7 already. No change. Said I needed to register, but couldn't make that work either. Minor annoyance when I open the program, but it works and I have my data. I can live with it.
    You may disable the register prompt by pressing the left Shift key and left Ctrl key while selecting Tools > One Step Update...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Sherlock said:
    Geezer said:
    I suspect you may be attempting to install Quicken 2004 on Windows 10.  If so, I suggest you install the free Quicken 2013 Deluxe and apply the Release R12 Mondo update instead.

To get rid of the missing file message, I recommend you update your Q 2012 R 7 to the free Q 2013 Deluxe version, as suggested by @Sherlock in the box above.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First, you need to install and update Quicken 2004 to Release R5 on the new computer.  I suggest you pull the Quicken 2004 updates from: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2004-patches.html

Second, you should copy the Quicken 2004 data sets or backups to a folder on a local drive of the new computer.  The Quicken 2004 data sets are the files with the QDF, QSD, QEL, QPH, and IDX suffixes.
  • Geezer
    Geezer Member
  • Geezer
    Geezer Member
    Looks like I goofed. Apparently I have 2012 version. Don't remember udating it, but at 87, there's a lot I don't remember.
    Got it running, although at startup it says I'm missing Fidir.txt and need to reinstall the program, but it starts just the same.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Geezer said:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geezer said:
    Looks like I goofed. Apparently I have 2012 version. Don't remember udating it, but at 87, there's a lot I don't remember.
    Got it running, although at startup it says I'm missing Fidir.txt and need to reinstall the program, but it starts just the same.
    If you installed Quicken 2012, you should apply the Release R7 Mondo update.
  • Geezer
    Geezer Member
    I did it, although it said it was version 7 already. No change. Said I needed to register, but couldn't make that work either. Minor annoyance when I open the program, but it works and I have my data. I can live with it.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just to clarify what you have running......  Version & Release -
    .... Help --> About Quicken
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8 Accepted Answer
    Geezer said:
    You may disable the register prompt by pressing the left Shift key and left Ctrl key while selecting Tools > One Step Update...
  • Geezer
    Geezer Member
    That worked. Now on startup I only get the flag saying "Quicken failed to install FIDIR.TXT...."
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Sherlock said:
    Geezer said:

To get rid of the missing file message, I recommend you update your Q 2012 R 7 to the free Q 2013 Deluxe version, as suggested by @Sherlock in the box above.
  • Geezer
    Geezer Member
    I think I finally got it. Downloaded q13 and it works fine. I was able to reconcile my checking account with no problems except for an entry which I had forgotten to make. My heartfelt thanks to you who assisted me. I imagine this version will last as long as I do.
    Geezer
This discussion has been closed.