Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Restoring a backup breaks the Quicken Bill Manager links

I do frequent backups during the day with the addition of a date and time stamp in the file name. For example: My date base is called "Quicken Checking Account.QDF", my backup would be named "Quicken Checking Account-2021-03-08 -1652.QDF-backup".

If I mess up the data file and have to restore from a prior backup, I restore the prior backup on top of the primary file name of "Quicken Checking Account.QDF". QW R31.20 will open the restored file and then ask me to sign in to the quicken server. As I do that I get a message that the Quicken Bill Manager links are broken and deactivated.

The result is that I can no longer
1) use Quicken QuickPay or CheckPay,
2) the scheduled payments are no longer shown in the checking register as being a QuickPay or CheckPay transactions with no ability to cancel the scheduled payments. The scheduled payments are in the register. QuickPay shows a status of "Scheduled" and CheckPay shows the check number that was assigned when I entered the check transaction.
3) I can not reactivate Bill Manager due to QuickPay or CheckPay payments pending.

The questions are"
1) why does this happen?
2) How do I know what payments are on the quicken server and will be paid regardless if I am linked to Quicken Bill Manager or not?
3) How do I quickly re-establish a connection to Quicken Bill Manager links and not have to wait till the last scheduled transaction is processed?
4) How does Quicken know that there are payments scheduled if I am no longer linked to Quicken Bill Manager?

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Hello @John Nastasi

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

In your case it may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up your file to work with bill manager again.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Steve1939
    Steve1939 Member ✭✭
    edited March 27
    This happened to me twice in the last month. The first time I lost the billing links and check pay payees it was not due to restoring from a backup. The second time, it occurred a couple of days after restoring from a backup. Both times I had to re-link all my billers and revalidate my checking account. I also had cleared transactions that were labeled "processing" which prevented me from removing and relinking a biller. Spent a lot of phone time with Quicken Support - they were baffled too. Billpay was so much better.
  • Steve1939
    Steve1939 Member ✭✭
    > @John Nastasi said:
    >
    >
    > 3) How do I quickly re-establish a connection to Quicken Bill Manager links and not have to wait till the last scheduled transaction is processed?

I had some luck with Control-Shift-Delete on register items that were being processed. You have to do it twice and ignore the pop-up warning about deleting from the register only. Then I was able to remove and re-link billers.