Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

"You are recording a transfer without specifying an account."

Suddenly when when i try to categorize my paypal incoming funds, i get this message. What does it mean? I have never "specified an account" before.
I only have 1 account.

Answers

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    It's asking you if it's a direct transfer from another of your Quicken accounts like a checking account at a bank, credit union, etc.. It's not critical to even answer it, but if you do, Quicken will try to remember the activity the next time it sees it.
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible that you are trying to create a new transaction based on a memorized transaction which was a transfer?
    Look at the Check # or Reference # column. If it contains the word Transfer or XFER, Quicken assumes this transaction will be a transfer to some other [account name]. If it's not supposed to be a transfer, blank out the Check # / Reference # field.
    And if your register doesn't show the Check # / Reference # field, click the Register Columns icon (next to the Balance column header) to add it in.
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Is it possible that you are trying to create a new transaction based on a memorized transaction which was a transfer?

Thanks, it appears that this month, Quicken has started listing incoming paypal funds with a bracketed category. you can see the bracket category in the image:

https://i.imgur.com/Ug5Q6yx.jpg

Quicken didn't use to do this. Is this a new feature??
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the bracketing is implying a movement of funds from one account to another typically. I might expand your screenshot image into a two line display to see further info for the input. (You can toggle the two line/one line display using the gear icon on the register page)  I have attached a couple of examples of 2 line registers of mine that do transfers (payments). Both show the bracketing and I have locked the transactions in "Memorized Payees".  The locking prevents Quicken from redefining a new purpose for that specific downloaded transaction.
    It almost looks like your PayPal download is trying to assign a category with the same I.D. as the name of your account. Is that the case?

@UKR Have I left anything out? 

Quicken Premier
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Member ✭✭
    > @gooddog50 said:

Hi thanks

Switching to two-line view did not reveal any additional information. The additional cells are just blank.

I'm assuming Quicken sees a bracketed category as a special sort of transaction.

And that transfers (from PayPal to BofA) are not considered as "account transfers" in the new version of Quicken.

This was not the case last month...

Ideas?
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    I'm assuming Quicken sees a bracketed category as a special sort of transaction.
    Yes, it's considered a transactional relationship between two accounts, as I understand.
    This was not the case last month...
    I am not surprised, this product is in dynamic flux... 

If you simply want all of the incoming funds to show as the first three lines in your imgur example, I would consider memorizing the payee on the register line you like(right click on register line, or click on gear in register). Then go to Tools > Memorized Payee List and "Lock" that register consideration. If you have multiple entries for "PayPal" now's a good time to delete them if you so desire.
    That should allow you to define all incoming funds however you want them to be received. 
    Do you have multiple different entries for PayPal? If so, maybe create a renaming rule for each. I like to create renaming rules to prevent multiple different entries such as "Costco" instead of Costco 12345 store. So in that case anything that has Costco in the name is entered in the register simply as Costco. 
    Let me know if that gives you any ideas...
    Quicken Premier