Why is internet connection required to open Quicken file?

Am using subscription Quicken Premier on Windows 10 home computer. WHY can I not access my Quicken file, stored on my home computer and not synced with web, when my internet connection is down?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you Disable your Network Connection, Quicken should work fine.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Phiddler
    Phiddler Member
    Yes, thank you, I understand that will work. But my question is WHY Quicken needs to access the internet every time I log in to a file that is stored right here on my computer. Kind of disturbing to learn (after decades of using Quicken) that Quicken is accessing the internet during what I had assumed was a strictly local operation.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Phiddler said:
    Yes, thank you, I understand that will work. But my question is WHY Quicken needs to access the internet every time I log in to a file that is stored right here on my computer. Kind of disturbing to learn (after decades of using Quicken) that Quicken is accessing the internet during what I had assumed was a strictly local operation.
    Well that's not true.
    First off let me say that almost forever has always checked for updates when it starts.  So it has always "used" an Internet connection.  Buts starting in Quicken 2014 the Quicken Id was required to install, so there is the start of the requirement of having to have an Internet connection (no connection, no register, no use).  Starting in 2018 Quicken went to "Subscription".  That means that Quicken is going to from time to time check your subscription is still valid.  On top of that it is now syncing certain information to the "Quicken cloud account".  What it syncs depends on the services that you sign up for, but no matter what there is definitely some information synced.  You can't run Quicken Subscription without a "Quicken Cloud account".

They have designed it so that it "can be away from the Internet for 'a time'", but it is certainly now dependent on their being an Internet connection from time to time.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Phiddler
    Phiddler Member
    I accept what you are telling me as true, but don't like it. Inability to check for application updates should not be a reason to deny access to a local file. Subscription expiration dates could easily be stored locally in the application. Quicken support tells me that with sync turned off none of my information is going to the Quicken cloud. I am very concerned about the lack of transparency involving Quicken's accesses to the internet and am considering, after decades of use, that it is time to leave Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Phiddler I can only report on what I see and have been told about how it is working.  I certainly can think of other ways to do such thing as you suggested, but we as customers don't have that choice.  We have the choice to use Quicken or not, it is Quicken Inc that gets to decide on their policies, and how Quicken works.

Of course users can voice their opinions, but I haven't noticed Quicken Inc (or Intuit before) express much concern (as in actually changing anything) in such opinions.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW if you haven't seen this before, have a look at this:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

But note besides all the "ifs and buts" in there, there is an underline assumption, and that is that Quicken Inc will stay in business or release a "free copy" before going out of business.

Why?
    Unless you think you are going to have the same machine for the rest of your life sooner or later you are going to have to reinstall on a different machine.  To do that you are going to need to "register" again with the Quicken Id, which isn't possible if their isn't any Quicken server.

The last version of Quicken that was truly "standalone" was Quicken 2013.
    Signature:
  • Phiddler
    Phiddler Member
    Thanks for the link.
    I emailed Office of the President stating need for complete transparency to All Quicken accesses to internet. Will see if anybody up there cares.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Phiddler said:
    Thanks for the link.
    I emailed Office of the President stating need for complete transparency to All Quicken accesses to internet. Will see if anybody up there cares.
    My bet is that you will get a "form answer".  Quicken Inc (and Intuit before them) very much has the attitude that the customer shouldn't know the details "for security reasons" (not to mention that it so complicated that probably no one knows all the details).
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.