Removing old accounts including Savings Goals from copied file

My old file was extremely corrupt (years old) and I couldn't do the year end operations on it. I was finally able to get a copy that included some of my accounts with transactions only from the previous and current year.

Unfortunately, the file included ALL of my accounts from the source file including my Savings Goals, but every one that didn't include transactions did not show in my Accounts list. It shows in the Categories list though so I couldn't recreate those accounts using the same names. That's fine, but I want those old Accounts (now categories) gone and I can't figure out how to do that. When I open Categories and try to hide them the box is grayed out.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Rebekah Richards

If I am reading your post correctly, I believe that the reason why those line items - with the "grayed out" box in the Category List - can't be deleted is because they are really not categories, but are accounts.  BTW - in general Quicken places square brackets around accounts in registers and other places to distinguish categories from accounts.

If you actually want to delete those accounts, you should be able to do so from the account itself or through the listing in the "Account List".  First make a backup of your data file, just in case.  Then open the "Account List", click on the account name and when the account opens up, click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right.  Next, select "Edit account details" from the drop down menu, and you'll see the "Delete Account" button on the bottom left.  Click that button and in the pop-up type "yes" to confirm and click "OK".

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Rebekah Richards
    Rebekah Richards Member ✭✭
    Hi @Frankx, Unfortunately none of those accounts show up in the account list anymore, they only show up in the category list. It's very strange and I have spent over an hour trying to figure out how to remove them.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @Rebekah Richards

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If you wouldn't mind could we get a couple of screenshots of the issue. It'll better help illustrate what's happening. I'll leave a link down below on how to do so.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once you've done this let us know and we'll take another look!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Rebekah Richards
    Attached are 4 screenshots showing the problem.
    1) SG Account Screen.jpg shows a couple of the current savings goal accounts. None of the old accounts show here.
    2) Old SG Accounts Do Not shows as accounts.jpg - Old savings goals were not prefixed with SG. I had to do that now in order to indicate they are the new savings goals.
    3) Old SG Accounts cannot be hidden.jpg - Account [Activities - Darienne] is an old savings goal account. It cannot be hidden from the category list because the checkbox is greyed out. This appears to be the case on all savings goal accounts because the new one for the same goal [SG Activities D] also has the hide checkbox greyed out.
    4) Old Accounts show as categories.jpg [Money Market] was an old account that I want to get rid of. Notice that the Hide box is greyed out.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @""Rebekah Richards"

Thanks for the screen shots - they actually support my post above.  All of those things you are calling categories have square brackets and that indicates they are not categories at all, rather they are accounts.  The reason the "Hide" box is grayed out in the Category List is because they are not categories. As noted above, in order to delete them, you need to open the Account List and follow the directions previously posted.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Rebekah Richards
    The problem is that NONE of them show up in the account list! I clicked on All Accounts and they are not there. But if I try to rename them to what they used to be (change Money Market (2) to Money Market) it says the Account name is already in use.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Rebekah Richards

You may have already tried this, but since it doesn't appear above I will post it here.  It sounds like the accounts you want to delete may be "hidden".  To unhide them go to: "Tools" < "Account List".  In the Window that opens up > Click on box next to "Show hidden accounts".  

If that box was already checked, I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support so that they can do some advanced troubleshooting.  Here is the LINK.

Let us know how that goes or if you have followups.

Frankx

• Rebekah Richards
    What if there is no 'Show Hidden Accounts' checkbox?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Rebekah Richards

If there is no "Show Hidden Accounts" checkbox, that means that means that the accounts are not hidden.  So, based on what you've said above, I believe that there may be issues with your data file.  I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support using the link that I provided in my last post above.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx