Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What is the DPIInfo.exe component and what is it's function

As of yesterday, I was experiencing high CPU usage by Quicken (Subscription version, latest update). The Windows Task Manager showed DPIInfo.exe using over 14% of the CPU, which is unusual for Quicken, and when I closed Quicken, the DPIInfo.exe component continued to run with high CPU usage. I had to use the Task Manager to end the process. I used the QCleanUI tool to remove Quicken and the appropriate Quicken folders. I then restarted the computer, turned off Trend Micro Maximum Security, and reinstalled the latest version of Quicken. After launching Quicken, everything was back to normal and Quicken was running fine. When I turned Trend Micro Maximum Security back on, Quicken started using high CPU again. I found that if I created an exception for DPIInfo.exe in Trend Micro that Quicken, once again, was back to running normal again. My Question is about the DPIInfo.exe and what exactly is it's function?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Search this forum (there's a Search box at the top of the Home page) for DPIIINFO.exe.  There's many discussions about it.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • pelaird
    pelaird Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Search this forum (there's a Search box at the top of the Home page) for DPIIINFO.exe.  There's many discussions about it.

Thanks for your reply, but did you read my post. I had searched this website for DPIinfo and read all the posts before I posted this question.

Again, my question is: What exactly is the function of the DPIInfo component?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Try a Google search.  It's all over there also.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • pelaird
    pelaird Member ✭✭
    Thanks again for your comment. I had already searched Google and read all the articles I could find, most of which referred to errors with 2017.

I am running the most recent version of the Subscription model.

I am going to assume that the DPIInfo.exe component has something to do with reporting the monitor DPI setting to the Quicken app as it is able to render the Quicken window correctly. Through trial and error, I have found that Quicken runs fine without it.

Does anyone actually know what the function of DPIInfo.exe is and how it works?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14
    Quicken developers don't give out that kind of details.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pelaird
    pelaird Member ✭✭
    Well, since it is a big secret, I started looking for other definitions for DPI and discovered the following on Wikipedia.

"Deep packet inspection (DPI) or packet sniffing is a type of data processing that inspects in detail the data being sent over a computer network, and may take actions such as alerting, blocking, re-routing, or logging it accordingly. Deep packet inspection is often used to baseline application behavior, analyze network usage, troubleshoot network performance, ensure that data is in the correct format, to check for malicious code, eavesdropping, and internet censorship, among other purposes."

It appears DPIInfo.exe must be collecting metrics or other info and sending it somewhere and this is why TrendMicro doesn't play nice with it. I don't use any of the online capabilities of Quicken, so I am going to remove it, and see if there are any long term effects in the performance of the app.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I don't think DPIInfo.exe in Quicken is the one that you are finding when you search the Internet.  More likely just a consequence on the name.

The very first thing I notice when I look at it is that it has the Quicken icon.
    And digging into its details:

This means that Quicken Inc built this executable, and recently at that.
    Signature:
  • pelaird
    pelaird Member ✭✭
    I am very definitely talking about the Quicken executable DPIInfo.exe. All of the Google articles I read linked to this site and concerned Quicken and errors related to Quicken DPIInfo.exe. These articles go back to December 1, 2019, so it's not that new. There may be a new version of it, but it's not new.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7864244/dpiinfo-exe-application-error

I still think it has to do with Deep Packet Inspection.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oh sorry, was thinking that is was something else.  Well like I said the developers don’t tell anyone the details of what things do unless absolutely needed for troubleshooting or such.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think DPIInfo.exe has anything to do with Deep Packet Inspection. Look at C:\Users\ggrot\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\UsageLogs\DPIInfo.exe.log

1,"fusion","GAC",0
    1,"WinRT","NotApp",1
    3,"System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089","C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32\System\41df2fcf9a9346b76951333f4dab4279\System.ni.dll",0
    3,"System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a","C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32\System.Drawing\0d8221a8b90e41f3f67c7f896837f3ea\System.Drawing.ni.dll",0
    3,"System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089","C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32\System.Windows.Forms\f008860128a592d0bc7f6d6e681ab75e\System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll",0

It contains video information.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10