Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Analytics and Reporting and a couple other items

cst4283
cst4283 Member ✭✭
edited March 23 in Reports (Mac)
Quicken has a solid foundation and can really differentiate itself in the space by taking things to the next level; my preference would be to have a web based app that can extend into the desktop modules but the engine would ideally live in a browser experience without losing functionality, I know that's a big ask, in time we'll get there.

as most of the other applications out there leverage Yodlee for the banking integrations perhaps Quicken could potentially leverage that to at a minimum have the same list of connected financial institutions; just a thought on that; also I know it was mentioned before but Zillow for the Mac edition would be nice to track home values as well as incorporating cryptocurrency tracking.

on to my main focus - analytics and reporting; Quicken - unlike [Removed - Solication] - has more of the nuts and bolts needed to purport a more accurate financial picture, not just with respect to budgeting and expenses but more so with portfolio management - I would like this area to be expanded upon, it's already gathering price data for ticker symbols, would getting the sector/industry, country, or other relevant information be possible? that way sector or country allocation reports and graphs could be generated, in addition being able to benchmark against say the S&P 500 would be very cool. I think a big piece of information that is often difficult for the other tools to capture is weighting the performance, or simply segregating income and gains from contributions/distributions from accounts, since others capture current balances and components of balance rather than the entire history at a transactional level like Quicken does; being able to report unrealized gain/loss is such a huge aspect in order to determine true investment performance and Quicken is able to do this already, so lets leverage this and increase reporting and analytical tools;

Report sets - I would like to have multiple reports in a single report, could be multiple pages. An additional report I'd like is a schedule of investments that lists out with various groupings the stocks and other assets owned.

in addition some retirement or financial goal tools that extrapolates into the future, much like [Removed - Solication] does, would be really cool;

That's my main points for now; I believe quicken has something special that others don't, though it can be clugy, and needs some love, I see a lot of potential that can be extracted and it doesn't have to be just a check register that you dad uses on his 12 year old computer.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @cst4283 There are some really good ideas in here, but my suggestion would be to break this into several separate, bite-size feature requests. In my experience, a long overarching discussion with lots of asks doesn't end up garnering a lot of votes because it isn't clear what one is voting for exactly -- and the developers have a pile of asks that are unlikely to be acted upon. It's better to have specific ideas, with clear subject lines and descriptions, which people can comment on and vote for, and if popular enough, the developers can decide to act on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • cst4283
    cst4283 Member ✭✭
    Thanks @jacobs , appreciate the feedback and makes sense. So I'd post separate asks for:

- full functioning browser experience
    -use yodlee to fill missing integrations to provide parity with other fintech apps for synchronization
    -crypto (which is on their development plan already)
    -zillow for mac
    -additional descriptors for securities (sector, country, etc.)
    -portfolio performance reports with benchmarking to indexes.
    -Report Groups
    -Retirement planning tool

you know when I list them out it is a lot; do I post like 7 more threads, I'd hate to be redundant, I don't think I can delete my thread once its out there.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think you would have a much better chance of this happening by suggesting changes at the Quicken Simplifi forum.  It is already web based and working towards those kinds of goals.  The likelihood of Quicken Mac or Quicken Windows to become "web based" is basically zero.
    http://help.simplifimoney.com/en/
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Several of these already have existing Idea threads, so you can add you vote and comments to them.

Zillow integration:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7368693/allow-quicken-for-mac-to-use-zillow-and-expand-to-the-mobile-app-12-legacy-votes

There may be others, but those are ones I found addressing some of your list. You can add comments to them, or if you feel they really miss what you’re seeking, you can start a new one. Make sure to add your vote to the ones you want, too.

I agree with Chris that management has basically said they’re going to continue to develop Quicken as a desktop-based product and Simplifi as a cloud-based product. Some users want a cloud product with no software to update and access from anywhere; some users want their data secure on their computer and not in the cloud, and that’s why they have different products. If there are specific features you think would help the Quicken companion mobile app/web interface, though, go ahead and suggest them.

I hope that helps give you some better direction on suggesting/lobbying for the features you want.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs just so you know I noticed that nowadays when you're the one that adds the idea it automatically puts one vote from you on it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Chris_QPW said:
    @jacobs just so you know I noticed that nowadays when you're the one that adds the idea it automatically puts one vote from you on it.
    Yup, I noticed that, too, when I created a new Idea post recently. Progress in very small steps… ;)
  • cst4283
    cst4283 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments everyone; very helpful. I have added my votes to the discussion threads pertaining to the interests I outlined; I wonder if they will eventually merge the two disparate operations between the desktop and simplifi; the Quicken web instance is pulling from one's desktop module but looks pretty similar to their Simplifi dashboard; I wouldn't be surprised if it all gets consolidated at some point and the desktop is actually just an extension of a web engine though some might not like their data being shared with the cloud it sort of already is weather they know it or not. I've been on/off with Quicken and have come back to it because it has more of the details and reports I like to see and hope they continue to build upon their unique capabilities and transition into a modern toolset, there is plenty of room in this space for a more full functioning tool and not just an echo from other financial institutions.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    A few years ago, I took the time to move several years of my Quicken data into MS Access (by exporting to Excel) so I could do deeper analysis, like, spending by category and by month compared with same month in previous years.  Also, computing liquidation value of my holdings (as opposed to "net worth") by taking into account taxes that would be owed when individual investments were sold.  Also, I've long been suspicious of the ROI calculation in Q, so I did it in Access which also allowed me to use whatever holding term I wanted.

It was all very informative, and I'd really like to see Q either provide deeper analytics within their tool, or (more realistically) make it much easier to move complete data into tools such as Excel or Access.

I emphasize "complete data" because the data Q dropped into Excel wasn't complete.  If the transaction had a split, the complete data including date, account, and some other fields only appeared on the first row of the exported split transaction; those fields were blank for the additional components (rows) of the exported  transaction.  Before getting into the analytics, I had to manually fill in the missing data fields, a very tedious process.

I'm on Windows, not Mac.  The Q-Win version needs this too.
  • cst4283
    cst4283 Member ✭✭
    edited March 15
    @Ray Cosner totally agree with you. just frustrating to see limitations when Q should be expanding upon the area of investment and portfolio aspects since in my perspective it is their competitive advantage; other fintech apps don't take the time to capture cost basis and holding period information, even though Q has its quirks and may need a bit of love on the front end with making sure certain aspects are correct, once set up it can provide a lot more valuable information that other apps simply can't; such as tax loss harvesting, provision for income taxes, basic tax planning, retirement planning, and cash flow forecasting, performance, allocation and diversification analytics along with potentially beta and/or risk metrics; the tool could be the default tool for not only those who do some casual investing to the mass affluent but also the countless number of organizations like investment clubs, family limited partnership, etc; its a huge market that goes far beyond the "how much did I spend on groceries last month" market.

anyway, sorry for the rant, just wanted to say I'm totally in agreement.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the practical solution is for Q to be improved so that complete data (all fields) including the pieces of a split transaction can be exported in a simple operation and then used without needing any cleanup in purpose-built analysis tools like Excel. 

IMHO it's not realistic to ask them to provide a wide range of analysis in Q - Excel was built to do that, it has a huge customer base, and it is being continually enhanced.  Putting a suite of strong analysis tools in Q will be a huge task (never ending?) that will divert a lot of their development resources into something only a small fraction of their customers would use.  Most people who want deeper analysis probably already have Excel, or something that's compatible with an Excel-formatted file (could simply be a CSV file). On the other hand, improving the data export capability is a request they should be able to fulfill fairly readily.

@cst4283 would that meet your need?
  • cst4283
    cst4283 Member ✭✭
    or better yet, an open API integration to allow a live sync so that, like you are saying, the analysis and reporting metrics can be done outside of Q, and Q is the primary data set; that way one can use excel, or google sheets and then use like a google data studio, SQL or access data base, etc and query, parse, and pivot table to their hearts desire.

But even without complex analytics, some basic functionality within Q would still be nice, like showing sector/industry classifications, a basic performance and benchmark vs indexes, etc. would be nice.