Bought at Best Buy - Activation code fails - already used by someone else?

HI. I am having trouble entering my quicken activation code on my laptop. it keeps popping up with an eroor message that the code has already been used. however, i just bought it from best buy yesterday and it hadnt been opened, so im not sure whats going on and what i can do. the store may not return it since its been opened. and quicken cant do anything for me except advise me to buy one online. i really dont want to do that though and waste $65 for no reason by just getting a different one. any ideas? thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds to me like someone previously bought your product, used the code, returned the product and Best Buy re-packaged it and sold it to you.
    I'd complain loudly to Best Buy as what they sold to you wasn't "complete" as it had either an expired, or a previously used, activation code.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds to me like someone previously bought your product, used the code, returned the product and Best Buy re-packaged it and sold it to you.
    I'd complain loudly to Best Buy as what they sold to you wasn't "complete" as it had either an expired, or a previously used, activation code.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with NotACPA, you need to go and politely pound on the return desk counter at BestBuy and get a refund or replacement package.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring along a screen shot of the error message as evidence.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.