Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Upgrading from Quicken 2002

rodmac51
rodmac51 Member ✭✭
I've been using Quicken 2002 for around 20 years and never found anything better. However, since the last Windows 10 update (version 20H2) it won't run at all. So it looks like I've got no option than to upgrade.

If I buy the new version therefore, will I be able to restore the 'QDF' back-up file from Quicken 2002 to the new version and will any of the functions be obsolete? If I can't restore from the back-up file will I have to set everything up manually or is there some sort of transfer process I can use?

Although I've been using Quicken for decades this is my first post on here so I'd welcome input from anyone who's already upgraded from Quicken 2002 (deluxe business version) please.

Many thanks

Answers

  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can convert to the free version of Quicken 2013 Deluxe which runs on Windows 10.

    Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version) | Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • rodmac51
    rodmac51 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > You can convert to the free version of Quicken 2013 Deluxe which runs on Windows 10.
    >
    > Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version) | Quicken

    Thanks. That was quick - but its for the US version only. Mine is for the UK. I assume the currency will be wrong if I try the US version?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @rodmac51,

    It has been a while since I used the Q 2013 version, however here's some current guidance on how to change the home currency - LINK.  I suspect that these steps would likely not have changed since 2013, but cannot say for sure.

    Frankx


    Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The real question here is if the US version is going to be able to convert the UK version without problems.  From what I have read over the years it is hit and miss.  For some people it works, for some it doesn't.  And for the ones it doesn't exporting/import QIF files might be the only way.

    And the setting for multiple support or not is in the data file.  So it really does no good to go into a data file and turn it on when you are just going to open another data file to be converted.  It will either automatically turn it on during the conversion or not.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    rodmac51 said:
    Thanks. That was quick - but its for the US version only. Mine is for the UK. I assume the currency will be wrong if I try the US version?
    How am I supposed to know you're using the UK version of Quicken? Did you search the community for other posts about using the US version of Quicken in the UK?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • rodmac51
    rodmac51 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > How am I supposed to know you're using the UK version of Quicken? Did you search the community for other posts about using the US version of Quicken in the UK?

    Well Greg-the-Geek, I'm sorry if I've upset you but as a new subscriber I had no idea this forum was for the US version only. As there isn't one specifically for the UK I simply thought this was a worldwide. Thanks for yours and others input nevertheless.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @rodmac51 the UK version was discontinued in 2004.  The “world versions” of Quicken were where Intuit licensed the code for it to be customized for other regions. With the exception of the Australia/Reckon version that license agreement was terminated in 2004.  Reckon doesn’t even call it Quicken any more, and so that leave the only the US and a “branched” version that is for Canada.  Note that Intuit sold Quicken a few years back and the new company is called Quicken Inc.  Even though some people use Quicken US or Canadian in a manual mode in other countries, it isn’t “supported”.  So there isn’t any “worldwide” Quicken/forum.

    This of course affects what may and may not be converted.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rodmac51
    rodmac51 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @rodmac51 the UK version was discontinued in 2004.  The “world versions” of Quicken were where Intuit licensed the code for it to be customized for other regions. With the exception of the Australia/Reckon version that license agreement was terminated in 2004.  Reckon doesn’t even call it Quicken any more, and so that leave the only the US and a “branched” version that is for Canada.  Note that Intuit sold Quicken a few years back and the new company is called Quicken Inc.  Even though some people use Quicken US or Canadian in a manual mode in other countries, it isn’t “supported”.  So there isn’t any “worldwide” Quicken/forum.
    >
    > This of course affects what may and may not be converted.

    Thanks for enlightening me Chris. I've been happily using my old version of Quicken for more than 20 years and it's only now that panic set in when it became corrupted and left me without an accounts app. The first place I usually turn to when things go wrong is a users forum - hence my arrival on here!
This discussion has been closed.