One-Step update broke for Ally - no recourse given

I have many accounts at Ally but a few months ago it started asking each time for my password (not using the vault) and going directly to the "Add Accounts" screen where I have to re-link each account. Validate didn't help, deleting and re-adding my password vault didn't help, resetting the accounts didn't help.

I contacted support and they said my only recourse is to abandon my decades of history and start over with a new blank Quicken file. What? I asked that this be submitted as a bug and was told that happened and I would hear back, but never did. Is this really what Quicken has come to?

Any suggestions?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • Curtis88
    Curtis88 Member ✭✭
    edited March 20
    I posted the Ally issue in another thread. You can try creating a completely new Quicken file (File > New Quicken File). Do not replace your existing file.

In your new Quicken file try to add an Ally account. When I tried this it still failed. Maybe you'll have different results.
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    Mine works fine in a new Quicken file. But it's not an acceptable solution to abandon a whole Quicken file with years of history.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @Cindi Anderson

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here what could be causing the issue you're having. While I know you've tried deactivating/reactivating already I'd like to see if we deactivate and readd the accounts in your main file. I'll leave steps down below.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Last we'll want to go across the top to tools > add accounts. From here try adding your accounts again and seeing if you're able to link them. 

If you get an error let us know what the error has and we can take a look to see what exactly is happening.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    I deactivated all open accounts and when I re-add it wants to link those but also wants to add a bunch of accounts which have already been closed.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    In that pulldown tab, which indicates how you want to associate the online account with the account in Q ... isn't there an option, for each online account, to choose "IGNORE"?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    Yes but it doesn't help. I do that. But then every time I do another one-step update it goes to the Add Accounts screen again, makes me re-enter my password, shows me those accounts again and I have to repeat that.
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    It takes a long time to look up my password, wait for it to find all those old closed accounts again, then do the pulldown on each one that doesn't really exist. Day after day
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    How did you close those accounts?  Because using Q's function to close an account should have also turned off it's connectivity, so that Q wouldn't try to connect it to an online account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    I used Q's close account.
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    The accounts are also closed at my bank, not showing up on my online account at my bank.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    @Cindi Anderson

Thanks for the update. You  should see the option when relinking to also be able to not add any of those additional account to Quicken. It should be the last option in the listing I believe. That should allow you to relink the other accounts and not have the extra's. Let us know how it goes!
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    I just told you that I do that. But it keeps asking me over and over day after day.
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    I just did it again. The second I do all the pulldowns and enter it processes for a while then jumps right back to the "Add Accounts" screen and wants me to do it again. If I cancel out it finishes the update but the next time I do an update it jumps back to that Add Accounts screen.
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    edited March 20
    And now one of them just re-added all my transactions and my balance doubled. That kind of thing has happened on and off as I've continued to try troubleshooting this thing.
  • Jmorrison1976
    Jmorrison1976 Member
    the CC-501 errors are happening again for ally. its been going on for about 3 days right after a 'one time cloud update'. This software has really gone down hill. Constant problems. I've deactivated and reactivated my account, created a new account and still nothing works. Sometimes when I try to download, it doesn't even give an error.....it just bypasses the accounts.
  • Cindi Anderson
    Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭
    After 30 years I think I'm done with Quicken. I am so tired of dealing with problems they can't fix and don't even get back to me about. And finding and deleting duplicate transactions. I spend more time dealing with this program these days than just entering things myself on a spreadsheet. They seemingly have no way to deal with data files from customers who have been using quicken for a long time.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

If you want to continue to use the Express Web Connect connection method, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-501
  • Jmorrison1976
    Jmorrison1976 Member
    Thank you for the reply. I've been using quicken for 15 years and ever since they made you buy a subscription this software has been garbage. They need to do a better job testing 'updates and mods' before approving them for production. I believe they are fixing one issue and creating another due to poor testing.
    For consistency, I will use web connect. I will need to manually update 8 ally accounts, a 3 vanguard accounts, and 2 chase accounts and a capitol one account. Fidelity and Wells are the only accounts that seem to work for me.