Transfers within same financial institution do not debit or credit properly

OK this is my third week after switching to an iMac, and in Windows I would record transactions when they happened and match them when they downloaded. BUT on the Mac when I enter a transfer (for example from checking to savings) the credit vs debit doesn't calculate properly. If I change a debit to a credit it stays that way in the receiving account causing it to be off double the amount of the transaction??

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    HI,  Tony. I don't have any issues with my transfers. 

Are you using the Transfer column to initiation transfers, or are you doing the older Windows way of [Account Name] as the Category to show a transfer?

Are you using separate columns to show inflows/outflows like older ledger paper does, or are you using the Account column to show transaction amounts?

My apologies for needing more data, but I am trying to reproduce the issue. 
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    I would enter the new transaction (when I did it before it actually downloaded) under category I would put transfer:receiving account. But no matter how I enter (debit or credit) one side of the transaction goes the wrong direction (increases vs decreases). I called support, initiated a screen share, they saw what happened but did not have an explanation. They suggested to wait until the download and see if it's right, and if it's not refer back to this ticket. There is also the term "link" which seems to enter into this dilemma. Thank you.
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    So then this morning on transaction download, the "in question" transaction downloaded in the right direction, and when I pointed it to the other account, I got a "matching" transaction window which made the accounts balance. On the other hand Chase downloaded deposits that were construed as withdrawals and had the account thousands off. Therefore, I may have to change my morning MO to match the Mac version of Quicken, because I had entered the deposits manual hoping to match them when downloaded. One may say I am counting my chickens before the eggs hatched, but as a "pending" transaction those monies are in fact available.
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    This morning much the same, I am pretty convinced that when it comes to deposits and transfers I have to wait for the download. I had hoped I could duplicate the transaction format afterward, but it still confuses me.
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    So now the payments downloaded, and everything I entered was duplicated on download, It will be a lot of work, but I need to keep track of what I spend before it hits the bank. I have always used Quicken as my check register, A couple of IT guys say that they suggest to clients to use QWin through a virtual machine because of this hassle, but I don'r want to do that.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I can't resolve your problem, but I can tell you that you shouldn't need to switch to Quicken Windows over this. It is not normal to have transactions duplicated -- but it can happen after switching connection methods, or disconnecting and reconnecting an account for download; once things settle down, you shouldn't continue to see duplicates. 

As for the transfers, I'm puzzled, because changes on one side should be reflected on the other side if you've created a linked transfer. you also shouldn't be having problems with debits versus credits if you're manually entering transactions. As John mentioned above, you might find it helpful to hide the Amount column and make visible the Payment and Deposit columns -- that might make it clearer as you're entering transactions what is money out versus money in.

If you're still having problems, if you can capture any screenshots which illustrate the issue, that might help us help you diagnose what's going on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest trying this in a new data file and see if you get a different result (could be something due to the conversion if your data was converted from Quicken Windows).  If you don't then I would certainly do like @jacobs suggests and try to capture the exact flow of this (in pictures if possible) so that people here might be able to detect what is going wrong.

I also wanted to also put this into perspective.  Quicken Windows doesn't "always get this right" either.

We get use to the the fact that we call these "linked transactions" and think that is how the are really stored in the database.  They aren't.  They very much are different transactions, with extra "information" that "connects" them.  Quick example in Quicken Windows (and I'm guessing Quicken Mac), change the memo on one side of that transfer. It will not change it on the other side.  Same for the payee.

I have certainly found "flows/bugs" in Quicken Windows where these get "disconnected" or "cross linked".  And I see posts from time to time that I can tell are these kind of problems.  I use to have lot of problems were the paycheck reminder transfers to a 401K account would "disconnect".  It is really fun where you have a linked transfer and then go into one and change it, and end up with two transactions in one account and only one in the other.  And if you ask it to go to the other transaction in the register that has two, one of them jumps to it, the other says that the transaction doesn't exist.

Bottom line is that bugs in this area can happen, and in fact the more I think of it one of the "flows/bugs" that was in Quicken Windows was when matching transfers.  That was a really hard one to get the developers to look at.  Why?  Because it only happened when the transactions were going directly into the register.   And so if someone reported it the SuperUsers would just tell the user reporting it to turn off automatically entering transactions into the register, instead of trying to convince the developers that it was a bug that should be fixed.

But this isn't Quicken Windows, and if you can show a flow that causes such bugs, I'm sure they will get it fixed.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One more thing.  You mention that this is a transfer between two accounts at the same financial institution.  For the most part Quicken shouldn't do anything different no matter if it is the same financial institution or not, with maybe one exception.

Does this transfer involve ether of the "bill pay" systems?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    We get use to the the fact that we call these "linked transactions" and think that is how the are really stored in the database.  They aren't.  They very much are different transactions, with extra "information" that "connects" them.  Quick example in Quicken Windows (and I'm guessing Quicken Mac), change the memo on one side of that transfer. It will not change it on the other side.  Same for the payee.
    This is actually not the case in Quicken Mac. The transactions actually are two sides of the same transaction (or else they're tied together more tightly than in QWin). Editing the Memo or Payee on one side of the transaction will indeed change it in the other account.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    No I do not use the bill pay system.

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > One more thing.  You mention that this is a transfer between two accounts at the same financial institution.  For the most part Quicken shouldn't do anything different no matter if it is the same financial institution or not, with maybe one exception.
    >
    > Does this transfer involve ether of the "bill pay" systems?
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    I am relieved to hear that Quicken for Mac is not a "stepchild" I will continue and see if it might be that fact that I am manually entering what is "pending" at the bank and wait more for downloads. I had considered starting from scratch back on March 3rd when I got the iMac but it's now too late for that. The majority of the value to me is that I can search for transactions to know when they happened in the last 10 or more years. Thank you for all of your input.
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭
    So I am currently not entering any transactions before the download and everything seems to be working. I would like (at some point) to go back to entering the transactions as I spend the money and matching them when they download.