cannot write to disk error dialog after update and reconcilliation

After doing an update and reconciliation I get a pop up dialog cannot write to disk. It seems to affect only the current transaction that I am attempting to accept. It then loses connection to the offsetting account. Ie a credit card payment from a checking account. This only occurs sporadically. The file is on a local hard drive and the drive has been surface checked and chkdsk verified with no errors. This started happening only after updating to R31.

The problem is not corruption as I rebuilt the file by hand, creating a new file, setting up online for each account and downloading transactions. In addition after a download, the account name changes back to what it originally was named before I edited the name. For example if the account was from Chase and named Checking 1111 and renamed manually to Chase Checking, it would get reset.

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly where is your data file stored?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • wanderso11740
    wanderso11740 Member
    its on a SSD physically installed in the system. I have also moved it to another drive on the system and still get the same results. the folder happens to be named e:\quicken_data
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The location is fine, I was expecting other than a local. Are you using any kind of backup sync? If so, it needs to be paused or edited with Quicken as the database can be closed and reopened during normal functions.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • wanderso11740
    wanderso11740 Member
    there is a backup program but it is manually initiated
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to reach out to support to pinpoint the issue.

Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

This discussion has been closed.