My Quicken keeps freezing

I've searched the community here before posting this question.

I've done the validation of the file. I've reloaded the software. I've done everything suggested in this community to the letter.

I still can't get the program to stop freezing.

Whenever I reload the program, it'll work for one or two sessions over a few days, but then it goes back to freezing.

It does it when I'm either entering bills or a paycheck, where I'll click onto Enter and I get the perpetual wheel turning on my screen. If I click the screen again, it brings up the "Not responding" window and I have to shut down the program.

I hoped after the last update this would have been fixed, but apparently not.

I'd appreciate any help I can get here, otherwise I need to look for an alternative that is more reliable than Quicken.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @nancy.l.marine,

Sorry to hear that you are having those problems.

This sounds like the cause could be data file corruption.  After you performed the validation - did it report any issues?  Did you also perform the super validation?  

How long has this been happening?  If it has only been a short time, I suggest that you restore a backup from before it started - if only to confirm that the issue is your datafile.  (Of course if you then determine the data file is corrupted, your potential only course of action at that point would likely be restoring a backup.)

Another thing that you should consider doing is contacting Quicken Support - here's the LINK.

Let us know how things progress.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @nancy.l.marine,

Sorry to hear that you are having those problems.

This sounds like the cause could be data file corruption.  After you performed the validation - did it report any issues?  Did you also perform the super validation?  

How long has this been happening?  If it has only been a short time, I suggest that you restore a backup from before it started - if only to confirm that the issue is your datafile.  (Of course if you then determine the data file is corrupted, your potential only course of action at that point would likely be restoring a backup.)

Another thing that you should consider doing is contacting Quicken Support - here's the LINK.

Let us know how things progress.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rick Robertshaw
    Rick Robertshaw Member ✭✭
    Quicken freezes daily!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken freezes daily!

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order. Crashes or killing Quicken may damage the file.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified, even if you have done some of them before:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• nancy.l.marine
    nancy.l.marine Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    [removed - violation of community guidelines]
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a disk write issue, perhaps. What is the full pathname of your Quicken data file? Is it being monitored by OneDrive, DropBox, or similar?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    and do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    [removed - violation of community guidelines]
    @nancy.l.marine it is often hard to tell from the initial problem description what troubleshooting steps have already been done. Plus you have other folks who may be reading the discussion later.

Having the basic troubleshooting steps listed and confirming those steps have been done helps avoid having to ask 20 questions to get the full details. It generally helps getting to the solution faster. Once the basics are out of the way, we can hone in on the particulars of the issue. 

The Likes are pretty sparse around here. I don't think any of the super users are here for the Likes. 

By the way, I am one of the two women super users here. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • LutzKT65
    LutzKT65 Member
    I'm having a similar problem. Quicken keeps freezing whenever I work on checking account transactions downloaded from Chase bank. I can accept transactions from other banks or investment providers, but when I go to my Chase checking account, then Quicken freezes. This has been happening for months. Sometimes my Chase account works fine, but often it doesn't. Sometimes restarting Quicken works. sometimes restoring a back-up works. I can't figure it out.

I tried all the typical diagnostics. I reinstalled Quicken, updated Windows, ran file checks, etc. I even created a new Quicken file and went through the entire set-up for all my accounts (about 10 hours) and the problem returned within a few weeks.

Any ideas?
  • LutzKT65
    LutzKT65 Member
    I should have added that the top menu bar disappears and often the transaction pane at the bottom right where you accept downloaded transactions also disappears. Quicken appears frozen, but is doing something. I can see the screen repeatedly repainting and if the menu does reappears, then all is well for a little while. The freezing can last anywhere from 20 seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes it just freezes and never recovers even after 15-20 minutes.

Problem happening on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Computer with 16GB of memory and no other apps running.