Security risk, form fillers and window managers not working after update, non-standard GUI windows

jeff2r
jeff2r Member ✭✭
After an update, Quicken restarts with administrator privileges, without notification or consent of the user. The most immediate impact outside the unnecessary security risk of surreptitiously running an application as administrator is that window management and form-filling utilities cannot access the window.

And I'm not sure who asked for this, but in scrutinizing the problem, it became apparent that at some point Quicken decided we Windows users needed fancy non-standard windows with rounded corners. But only on the top edge of the application window. Huh?

With this pile of garbage and obsolete legacy code otherwise known as Quicken, why in 2021 is a major company using a non-standard user interface?

Comments

• jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    Oh and to clarify besides ranting, the developers should revert the relevant code.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sorry, but not seeing it in my Q, which I just updated to R32.10.  Those corners look pretty square to me!
    Could you provide a screenshot that depicts your issue?  Or further elaborate upon WHICH windows now have rounded corners?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    The primary Window. It ended up having nothing to do with this; the issue was that updating an application requires administrator privileges. When Quicken restarted from the updater, it dangerously re-opened the program as administrator, and without notifying the user that it was doing so.

Applications without administrator rights can't manipulate the windows of applications that have them. Verified this by upgraded the rights of the script to administrator. Also verified by exiting the newly updated Quicken and restarting it with standard user rights and doing the same for the script. With respect to the rounded corners:
  • jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    And incidentally, the screenshot you provided is not of a window, but of a bitmap inside of a window.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my display, strangely, only the 2 top corners are rounded. The bottom corners are square.
    Makes me wonder why someone at Quicken is fooling around with GUI minutiae.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my display, strangely, only the 2 top corners are rounded. The bottom corners are square.
    Makes me wonder why someone at Quicken is fooling around with GUI minutiae.
    Don't know how to fix the other R31.xx problems -
    so let's fixate on "scroll bars" and now "corners" -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    Yes, it's not just you; bottom corners are square. Their designers invented a whole new theme. Polishing a turd.

> @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > On my display, strangely, only the 2 top corners are rounded. The bottom corners are square.Makes me wonder why someone at Quicken is fooling around with GUI minutiae.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    H/T @UKR
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    Good luck with getting them to change.  This is the "fake main window" that I have been complaining about for years.  It causes all kinds of problems, but they feel they need to do it so that they could put non standard controls on the title bar (global search for one) In reality they could put the controls in standard place and avoid the problems, but then they won't look like they can make a "modern" GUI.  I think the rounded corners have actually been there for quite some time, but they are just the tip of the iceberg.

As for another application controlling Quicken windows.  The first thing to make sure is that you have restarted Quicken after a patch install.  When you start Quicken from the installer it has different permissions, and another application won't be able to to send commands to the Quicken windows.  When Quicken starts "regularly" then Windows will allow another program started by the same user to control it.

I deal with this all the time with RoboForm attaching to fill in the password and my own program ImportQIF to press the right buttons to import QIF files automatically.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    I think the rounded corners have actually been there for quite some time,
    Yep, rounded in 31.20 also.
  • jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    edited March 20
    Thanks Chris; I did figure it out and follow up with a reply above that it was from the updater restarting Quicken with elevated privileges. Incidentally, this strikes me as a security risk.

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > Good luck with getting them to change.  This is the "fake main window" that I have been complaining about for years.  It causes all kinds of problems, but they feel they need to do it so that they could put non standard controls on the title bar (global search for one) In reality they could put the controls in standard place and avoid the problems, but then they won't look like they can make a "modern" GUI.  I think the rounded corners have actually been there for quite some time, but they are just the tip of the iceberg.
    >
    > As for another application controlling Quicken windows.  The first thing to make sure is that you have restarted Quicken after a patch install.  When you start Quicken from the installer it has different permissions, and another application won't be able to to send commands to the Quicken windows.  When Quicken starts "regularly" then Windows will allow another program started by the same user to control it.
    >
    > I deal with this all the time with RoboForm attaching to fill in the password and my own program ImportQIF to press the right buttons to import QIF files automatically.