Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Problem changing the date on recent check pay transactions. R32.1

After entering a transaction using check pay, I have always been able to adjust the date to the date the transaction cleared my bank account. Recently entered transactions say I must first cancel the transaction before I can change the date. I need to be able to change the date in order to balance my bank account. I believe this began with update to R32.1

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @X15

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That's interesting it's not letting you change it anymore. Has the payment already gone through on the banks side? If that is the case we may want to try seeing if we are able to cancel the payment so we're able to move it. There's a chance it could of gotten stuck in a processing state but I would make sure that is the case first by verifying the payment was sent from your bank.

Once you get the chance let us know if that's the case! If it is we'll see what we can do to get the transaction date changed.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @X15

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That's interesting it's not letting you change it anymore. Has the payment already gone through on the banks side? If that is the case we may want to try seeing if we are able to cancel the payment so we're able to move it. There's a chance it could of gotten stuck in a processing state but I would make sure that is the case first by verifying the payment was sent from your bank.

Once you get the chance let us know if that's the case! If it is we'll see what we can do to get the transaction date changed.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    X15 said:
    After entering a transaction using check pay, I have always been able to adjust the date to the date the transaction cleared my bank account. Recently entered transactions say I must first cancel the transaction before I can change the date. I need to be able to change the date in order to balance my bank account. I believe this began with update to R32.1

IMHO, you do not need to and you really shouldn't change the date of a check transaction to the date when the bank cleared the check ... as long as the transaction date is not a date in the future, e.g., transaction dated 4/15, check cleared 3/15, reconciliation end date 3/31 ... this won't work in Reconcile.
    I always use the date when I write the check as the transaction date, not the due date and not the date when the check finally clears. Why? At the moment I write a check, the check amount is considered no longer available in my bank account. This helps me avoid accidental overdraft situations by creating a bit of a buffer in my account balance. It also ensures that the check, when it finally clears, is eligible to be included in Reconciliation.

• X15
    X15 Member
    Quicken Francisco, thank you for your response. This issue with changing the date began a few weeks ago and applies to all quickpay transactions, including ones that have cleared the bank and ones that have not cleared the bank. In the past, when changing date I would receive a message to the effect that changing the date will affect only my computer account and will not affect processing of the payment. That was exactly what I wanted. Now it simply will not allow a date change without canceling the transaction. I do not know how to cancel the transactions, but I suppose I could delete and re-enter cleared transactions.
    This sounds like a lot of trouble, and does not help much with venders who sometimes hold checks for a couple of weeks (or more) before they deposit them.
  • Jeffrey Requadt
    Jeffrey Requadt Member ✭✭
    Recently I have been having a problem with Check Pay payments. After making a payment with Check Pay, I cannot change the date of the payment in the register. I understand that it will not affect the real-life payment date; however, for bookkeeping reasons I might want a particular payment to appear in the register in a certain week or month that might be different than the real-life one (e.g., tuition for music lessons might be paid at the end of March but I want it to be reflected in April). Until recently I was able to change the date of the transaction in the register (I never tried to change the amount, just the date). Recently, however, I get this error: "This payment must be cancelled before you can change it." This is even an issue with payments that have ALREADY CLEARED. This was never a problem before. I have done a validate and repair. If this is going to be how things work, I won't be using Check Pay anymore. I need to have the flexibility in my own register.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @X15

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~