Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can't make P.O. Number field big enough

Hi, I have a client who uses 13-digit P.O. numbers, but the field on the invoice creation dialog accepts only 12 digits. I expanded the field using the forms designer, but this has no apparent effect on the functional behavior of the entry screen when I try to create an invoice using the modified form. It still refuses to accept an entry longer than 12 characters, even though I made this field a half mile wide on the forms designer.

What's the point of being able to expand the "visual width" of the field if the actual functional width is fixed at some arbitrary character length?

Is there any workaround to this? (Or am I perhaps doing a stupid and not seeing something obvious?)

Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The following link is a discussion that took place during 2017. You can read all of the comments but unless the issue has been resolved since then it appears it still may not be resolved.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7496012/the-p-o-number-field-on-the-invoices-is-too-small-1-merged-vote
  • George Dovel
    George Dovel Member
    Thanks for letting me know. (I searched for previous discussions but couldn't find any.)

Kind of unbelievable in this day and age to see a rigid limit hard-coded into the software, although I know that parts of the Quicken/QuickBooks code are about a million years old. The invoice entry form hasn't changed since I started using it back in the 1990s.

Fortunately, it's a low-volume issue for me and I just edited the PDF to insert the additional character. People who don't have the full version of Acrobat might not be able to make such edits, though, I'm not sure.

Cheers
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    although I know that parts of the Quicken/QuickBooks code are about a million years old. The invoice entry form hasn't changed since I started using it back in the 1990s.
    Not quite a million years, but these forms do date back to "The Desktop is the Web" era.  And I think your 1990s guess is quite spot on.

Back a bit before the the year 2000 Microsoft realized they under estimated the Internet, and decided that they would push the desktop interface as a "the web" and hope that would leverage them back into the mainstream.  That of course was pretty much a disaster, but in the same effort they pushed developer to use the new API which basically embedded IE in a window, and then all the controls and such were a web page.  That is exactly what you are looking at.  You will see the same in the Tax Planner and some of the remaining parts of the old Lifetime Planner GUI.

This mixing of different era GUI APIs is one of the reasons they have such a hard time with window scaling for the newer higher resolution screens.  These different GUI APIs don't scale the same.

So why not change them out for something modern?
    The problem is that it pretty much all or none, at least for a given section like Business forms, Tax Planner, Lifetime Planner.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • George Dovel
    George Dovel Member
    Very interesting - thanks for the historical perspective. And yes, I don't bother trying to run Quicken on my laptop (a comical scaling mess) or the beautiful new 34" curved high-res monitor on my desktop. My eyes can't take it.

There's a similar situation in the world of audio/music/recording software. I would venture that the Kontakt app from Native Instruments is the most-used piece of music-creation software in the world. There are some 600 virtual instruments from hundreds of companies that require it.

Sadly, the GUI still has the same fixed resolution it has had for years, and it has become more or less unusable on modern, high end monitors. I expect to be moldering underground long before they ever address the problem.

I bought a separate low-res monitor (a digital sign, actually—so low-res it's not even marketed as a PC monitor) just to run it because it's the only way I can see the tiny fonts it uses.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is interest about that music-creation software.  Makes Quicken look "modern".   ;)
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/