Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Trying to use Quicken 2016 to access old files - how to bypass signin registration

I have about 40 files I need to review between 2008 - 2016, I don't want to try and use current quicken on other computer because I have only 5gb on hotspot and it wants to upload & sync all files. I've installed 2016 on second computer, R12 mondo but cannot by pass sign-in screen

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    R12 mondo but cannot by pass sign-in screen
    You must update to R13 or above.  That is the version that they changed from an Intuit Id to a Quicken Id when Quicken was sold, and the Intuit servers for this went away.

Since Quicken 2014 it has been a requirement to log in to the Intuit/Quicken Id as part of the "registering".  You can't bypass that.  But the Quicken Id is free.  Once you past that it shouldn't require an Internet connection:
    From my website (as recorded as it happened):

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    Try the last mondo patch 19.5.
    Quicken Patches - QuicknPerlWiz

If that doesn't resolve, disconnect that PC from the internet and you should bypass the login.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • disappointed
    disappointed Member
    No. All it does is convert to Quicken format instead of Intuit. I keep getting connect to internet. I used to be able to keep hitting enter and after about 10 attempts it would let you access file, however that no long seems to work.

I need a way to access my files before the "new' quicken.

None of the data or program was process and synced to the cloud the way the "new" quicken works.

The "NEW" quicken purchased the product to mine data and sell all the info to make money as per their SEC filing when they were acquiring it from intuit.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    Try left shift +ctrl while clicking on Tools->One Step Update

Bold statement :
    The "NEW" quicken purchased the product to mine data and sell all the info to make money as per their SEC filing when they were acquiring it from intuit.',
    what proof do you have to make it?

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    R12 mondo but cannot by pass sign-in screen
    You must update to R13 or above.  That is the version that they changed from an Intuit Id to a Quicken Id when Quicken was sold, and the Intuit servers for this went away.

Since Quicken 2014 it has been a requirement to log in to the Intuit/Quicken Id as part of the "registering".  You can't bypass that.  But the Quicken Id is free.  Once you past that it shouldn't require an Internet connection:
    From my website (as recorded as it happened):

Signature:
  • disappointed
    disappointed Member
    In press release announcing the purchase one of the reasons was to mine the data with a rich knowledge of where users shop, how often and amount spent among other bits of data. But all you have to do is read the quicken terms of use.
    The Quicken Privacy Statement, available at quicken.com/privacy for U.S. and Canada users. You agree that we may collect and use your data (including personal information) according to the Quicken Privacy Statement. We may also share your data and information, either in aggregate or personally identifiable form, in the ways described in the Quicken Privacy Statement.

This means that we or our Suppliers (as defined below) may collect and use your nonidentifiable, aggregated data (including nonidentifiable financial account balances and other financial account data) or other data obtained through your use of the Products and Services for research, performance tracking, and benchmarking.
    We or our Suppliers may also use summary or aggregate results relating to such research and distribute or license these anonymous, aggregated results for any purpose, including but not limited to helping to improve the Products and Services, troubleshooting, or technical support.
    We are a global company and we utilize industry standard technology resources in multiple countries to maintain high security standards. As such, we may access or store personal information in multiple countries, including countries outside of your own country if allowed by law. This may include the United States in the case of Canada users.

Ad
  • disappointed
    disappointed Member
    Chris_QPW it works, kinda!
    It does allow me to access the file without uploading, however there is a lot of data coming down 23,000 + bits. I went through the process of using the CNTL + LEFT **** + Tools + Update and it responded with registration request turned off.

however when I went to open the next of at least 40 files from 2010-2016 looking for real estate related expense for a property. I will have to again connect to internet.

If I disconnect from internet I receive the following message:
    Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: InternetDisconnected] (sp)

RETRY

I clicked the retry button 20 times. No way to bypass message. so I have to again connect to internet and go through the sign-in

But at lease its not uploading at 40,000-50,000 bit's

My 2020 version sync's to cloud even though I turned off that option. Support said if I used "DIRECT CONNECT" OR the other connect method it would sync even if user documentation says it will not. Only way support said to by pass the sync option was to manually download the update files from each bank / credit card.

This process at least is not doing sync (as of yet).

Thanks for helping understand this process. It still requires internet connection for each file. But I can live with a little data on my phone hotspot.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever Quicken starts it periodically checks for updates.  That is at least part of what you are seeing.  And yes, I can see it trying to register/check each new file and requiring that Internet connect in that case even though I have never tested that use case.

As for Quicken Subscription yes they are syncing all kinds of stuff these days even if "sync to Mobile/Web" is off.

The real fundamental question is though "what are they syncing".  In the case of Direct Connect they aren't syncing the transactions.  That is a communication with the financial institution.  Besides that all bets are off.

You probably want to take a look at this:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync

Note the latest truly "offline" version was Quicken 2013.  And even it will periodically check for updates if there is an Internet connection.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to test this, and now that I look at it, it just something that I forgot.

When talked about "registering" you aren't registering the "Quicken Id".  You are registering the data file.  As in you are logging into your Quicken Id so that it can be associated with that data file.  So yes for every new data you will have to log into your Quicken Id.
    Signature: