Bill Added Waiting for Update

This discussion was created from comments split from: Quick Pay not allowing future payments.

Comments

• streetdoc
    streetdoc Member
    I am using Quicken Premier for windows subscription and am having all the same problems listed above. It doesn't matter if I have received an electronic bill or not, or a paper bill. Clicking on "refresh" in the QuickPay drop down doesn't work - just says "biller added and waiting for update:. Too bad I've been waiting for the update and now the time is too short to snail mail the hill. Sometimes I can set a future pay date by QuickPay and the next time I can't. Not always the same biller either. Does anyone at Quicken know that this is a HUGE problem? Does anyone at Quicken even have a solution? So far I have just capitulated and pay bills very early when I get them. This problem has left me very frustrated.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about giving us the names of some of the billers so that the Quicken Community moderators can take a closer look. They might know if there's a current issue with some of the billers or if that's a new problem requiring follow-up.
    Thanks.

Avoid late fees and penalty interest rates!

If you're about to be late with making your payment due to failures in Quicken Bill Manager (Quick Pay or Check Pay), I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit the next (and perhaps all future) payments from your checking account or a credit card. The biller will make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late. Just record a scheduled reminder that is not an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the debit transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    streetdoc said:
    Does anyone at Quicken even have a solution?
    I have a simple solution don't use Quicken bill pay, do whatever it takes to use some other system that works.

For years I tried to use what they called online bills which is the bill presentment part of Quicken bill pay which predates it by many years.  And for some builders it would never work right others sometimes sometimes not.  This is just the nature of this web scraping kind of technology that the third party is using.

Personally my solution is like @UKR suggested.
    Almost every bill I have is set up to be automatically paid for my credit card or if they don't take credit card like in the utility bills from my checking account.

In a way this is exactly what Quicken bill pay is trying to do.  The major difference is that you would be a human logging in to the biller's website and setting things up not some script that can't allow for changes or differences between whatever happened this day and that day.

I've been doing this for over 20 years and have never had a problem.

Another way of going at it would be to find a financial institution that allow you to pay through their bill system using direct connect.

Barring those two, the financial institutions almost all have their own web bill paying systems that you can use.  Sure you might have to do a double entry for like a reminder in the actual bill on the bill system but is there any comparison to the frustration you're now see experiencing or having late fees and wrecked credit scores?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Is Quicken doing ANYTHING about this? I click "refresh" for my online Citi account, and keep getting the message "quicken bill added - waiting for latest update". The bill was available two week ago -- but not through Bill Manager. This happens every month, but usually updates before now. The payment due date is coming up and Quicken won't let me get the bill to pay it..

I "upgraded" to Premiere mostly to use this feature. Workarounds are not acceptable. This is advertised to work, so it should work.

Who is working on this problem?
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Now 19 days since bill was available from Citi, 6 days until due date. Quicken Bill Manager still "waiting for latest update". What is the problem?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @phil

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues. I've tried something on our end to see if we're able to get your bill in sync with your file. If you could validate the biller one more time here and see if the bill comes in properly. It may also take 24 hours in order to update as well. Once you've had the chance let us know if the bill does come in.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. Validation always says I am in sync. Still no new bill. I will try again tomorrow morning.
  • virbert
    virbert Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW,

You mentioned in your post that a third party scrapes the bill from the site. This explanation seems different than that given by support at Quicken. Support claims that there is a separate server which the biller maintains, and it is this server that causes the problem with the online biller functionality. I have asked this question to more than one support person, and they have more or less given the same explanation. If you don't mind, I am interested in your understanding of how the amount due for the next bill is populated on the BILLS & INCOME->Bills page.
    Quicken Premier R33.24
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    USA
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Francisco

I was able to schedule the Citi payment this morning. It failed to get the bill on first attempt. I validated again (which always says I am in sync), then tried to get the bill a second time and it worked. So -- not sure if something you did helped, or if enough time passed and the bill finally arrived.

But here is the issue: The bill should be available in Quicken on the bill date (when Citi releases the new monthly bill). That is when I want to immediately "set it and forget it" -- schedule the payment and not have to think about it again (just like I always did before this "upgrade").

Right now, every month I am forced to waste 2 to 3 weeks wondering if the bill will ever show up in Quicken. That is the opposite of convenient. That is just wrong.

Have you located the problem? Where is it? Will my next bill be immediately available?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Bill Manager actually started out as "Bill Presentment" in Quicken 2015.
    I used that for several years, and at one point (maybe in a beta) it was mentioned what the third part service name for providing this was, but I have long forgotten, and Quicken Inc tries to hide such information.

The first think to understand is that Quicken Inc is a small company it doesn't have the resources to maintain as they put it 11,000+ "billers".  So for transactions downloading they pay Intuit, for "bills" it is this third party service that deals with that as their business.

Anyways the way that the third party does it job is basically how Express Web Connect works.  There isn't any standard on how to download transactions and there isn't any standard on how to download or pay bills.  So in both cases they have to log into the websites as if they are you.  I know in the case of Intuit/Express Web Connect they setup agreements with the financial institutions.  I have no idea if this third part service for bill presentment/pay has similar agreements or not (I would hope they do).  But one thing is quite clear from my use of the bill presentment part of this.  Some billers work fine, others "sometimes", and others never worked for me.

And that is just the bill presentment part.  Obviously it gets much more complicated on the bill pay side.

If one looks at what happens when you have bill pay through your financial institution through Quicken it is using "Direct Connect/OFX protocol" it is a set protocol that is sent directly to the financial institution which in turn changes that into commands to its bill paying system.

If one looks at how the old Quicken Bill Pay worked, it was a third party and what was done is they setup the ability to do ACH transfers.  If the bill to pay accepted ACH transfer they set one up from your checking account to that biller.  If that wasn't possible they transferred the money to their account and then sent a check.

So in the above two cases the biller site is never accessed.  But in Bill Presentment they are.
    Well that same service provider has the service of paying bills, but it isn't started from your checking account, it is started from the biller's website.

I'm a strong supporter of paying from the biller's site, I have been doing it for over 25 years, but there is a difference.  I log into the biller's site and set up things.  I can look at the costs, if they support doing with my credit card that pays me cash or if I have my checking account and all that kinds of details.  Note I set them up just to pay the balances, and setup my credit cards to be paid off in full from my checking account.  Once setup all I need to do is make sure I keep enough in my checking account to pay the few that can't be paid by credit card, and I get 20 to 30 days of notice for how much I need for when the credit cards will be paid.

The third party service for Quicken Bill Manager is trying to do that all with "scripts/programs" to automate it as if you were doing it.  Given the possible combinations of how different billers do this, this is an extremely hard thing to do without having problems all the time.  Not to mention in my case I set up a very simple payment, pay full bill on such and such date.  I don't have payments that I change scheduling/amounts and such that users want from Quicken Bill Manager.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Here we go again. My Citi bill was available from their Web site 8 days ago, but Quicken still cannot download the bill. Very frustrating!

Sure, I could pay on the Citi site, but that is not how I prefer to do it. The Quicken system works with Citi. It's the TIMING that is off. Why isn't the bill available to Quicken as soon as it's available to me? Citi is huge, not some small outfit, so one would think that Quicken would make it a priority to get things straight with them.

I am not getting what I paid for with Quicken.
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    It is now two weeks since my Citi bill was available for download, but Quicken Bill manager still will not get the bill.

@Quicken Francisco
    The above attempt at a solution did not work. Is the proper Quicken department AWARE of this issue? Will anything be done to fix it?

Meanwhile, what would happen if I click Quick Pay and enter the amount of the current bill and set payment for the due date? Will that foul up anything when the actual download of the current bill comes later?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    @phil

I apologize for my late response. With the issue continuing I've reported it over to one of our teams so we're able to take further look at it. This will take about 72 hours in order to the team to overview the situation. You'll want to validate and update the biller. If you have problems after the 72 hours please let us know so we can further look into the issue.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Well, the bill showed up now -- 19 days after it was available. This is the same behavior as the last few months. I would like to know why the bill does not show up in Quicken at the same time it is available from Citi. Please look into this.
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Francisco

OK, Citi has released a new bill for download on their Website. But it is NOT available in Quicken Bill Manager. My bet is that Quicken will not be able to get the bill for another 15-20 days, which is unacceptable. All online billers are validated.

Now would be the time for you to look into this problem, since the bill is there but Quicken can't retrieve it. Please let me know what can be done.
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Well, I tried to update the bill a couple of times and -- lost the links to all online billers. Gee, great. So I had to re-link each one and the Citi bill was magically retrieved during the process.

Bottom line is I do not know if the regular problem was solved. I guess we'll see next month.