Discover Card transactions are backward

Ever since "upgrading" to the subscription version, I've been having nothing but problems. So much so that I finally uninstalled and reinstalled today and restored my backup. I've had to reconnect all my bank and credit card accounts, except for all my investments.

The one weird issue I still can't figure out how to fix is my Discover CC. It looks like all transactions are backward. In that, the payments (and it does say payment in the column) but the payment ADDS to the balance. Likewise, all the interest expenses DECREASE the balance.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Balance adjustment and hope that the transactions from here on out aren't backwards?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Is the balance in BLACK or RED?  It should be in RED showing a negative (you owe) balance.  If it is in BLACK, look for extra Payments or mixing Charges causing the balance to be the wrong way.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Lavee
    Lavee Member
    It's black. Prior to my uninstall/reinstall it had the correct amount and it was in red. Now, after the restore, it shows the opposite. That's what I'm trying to tell you is that the payments that I make (black) only make the balance increase, whereas the interest charges (red) decrease the balance. Without going into details, the balance should be $675, per Discover, however Quicken shows the balance $3401.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @Lavee

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If you wouldn't mind could we get a screenshot of exactly what the register looks like so we're able to see what could exactly be happening. This will give us a better idea of how to fix the issue you're having

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Note you may need to drag the photos into the response box for you to be able to add them.

Once you get a chance let us know more and we'll take a look to see what we're able to find.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Re-read the last sentence in my post above.  Quicken is working correctly, you are either missing charges or have extra payments causing the balance to be in an overpayment (BLACK) status.
  • Lavee
    Lavee Member
    I was trying to find a way to give a screenshot as there is nothing but the emoji dropdown in the reply box. Hopefully drag/drop will work!

Re splasher...incorrect. I have not done anything to the Discover account in Quicken. This is all from the restore. Nothing has been done. Everything shows up backwards AFTER the restore.
  • FredChmura
    FredChmura Member
    I am also having this exact problem. It just started today when I did an "Update Now" All my payments for the last three years now show in black and increase the account balance rather than showing in red and decreasing the account balance. It now shows a huge account balance. i tried coming back to my checking account deleting the payment and re-entering the payment. No change still increases the balance.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to believe what I am stating but Quicken is doing it correctly.
    You show a balance (black) of 3410.70 (positive balance, they owe you money), you charge 8.84 and the balance is reduced to 3401.86.
    That is correct.
    The PROBLEM is that for some reason, Quicken is showing you to have an overpayment balance (black, the FI owes you money).
    Now, why that is so, you have to investigate.  Look back thru the register and find where the balance column goes from red (what it should be) to black (what it shouldn't be normally).
    Do you really believe that your current balance for that credit card should be over $3400, that Discover Card OWES you?
  • Lavee
    Lavee Member
    splasher...now, if you would go and re-read all my posts, you will see that I don't think Discover OWES me anything. If that were the case, I wouldn't be in here trying to figure out why my account balance per Quicken states (positive) $3401.86 instead of the CORRECT account balance of (negative) $689.81.
    I have investigated to find out why. I have not found anything, hence the reason I'm in here trying to figure out why the hell a backup restore is so screwed up.

Let's start over shall we?
    1. Correct balance in Quicken was shown (-$689.81) when I made my last backup on 3/18
    2. I've been having major issues with Quicken in the past week and so I did a full uninstall (uninstall, deleted all Quicken/Intuit folders), reinstalled with the latest download of Quicken.
    3. Restored the backup from 3/18
    4. I've had to reconnect every bank and CC accounts in order to get them to download transactions.
    5. Investments didn't require a reset in order to download transactions.
    6. Accounts have been off on all accounts because for some dumb reason there is an entry of account beginning balance of a certain amount a week prior to the backup, once I've deleted that then the accounts have been ok.
    7. Get to Discover account and download latest transactions. That's when I noticed on reconcile that it was positive. That's when I noticed that payments made the balance go up and the interest made it go down. Yes, yes, I get it and understand what you are trying to say. BUT, why...why is it so totally off when this was a BACKUP RESTORE...AND it was correct at the time of the backup? Regardless...that's over and done with now.
    8. Searched Discover for any "beginning balance entry" and could not find anything. There is NOTHING out of the ordinary going back just over 3yrs. All entries are nothing more than payments and interest expense entries.
    9. Discover online does NOT go back any further than 2019 in their portal for statements.
    10. For some reason, the Discover account in Quicken, only goes back to 11/2017
    11. Came in here and posted my question.

If I make an adjustment, I'm assuming that will fix this? Coming from a ledger standpoint, I abhor this solution as the IT Manager in me wants to know WHY this is so messed up because I don't want it happening again.

Now, based on that...why is it so screwed up? (this is a question for the Quicken employee not you). Because this doesn't make me have any confidence in the backups that Quicken makes. As stated in my OP, I've never had issues with Quicken until I converted to the subscription model/install.
  • Lavee
    Lavee Member
    Because it looks like I'm missing several years of entries. I've used Quicken since I was in college and so it's not like I wouldn't have been using Quicken for my Discover card accounting. That is where the issue starts...a payment on 12/12 that puts it in the black...yet I've had this card way longer than Nov of 2017. So the backup is corrupt or isn't a full backup of this account which makes me very concerned.
  • Lavee
    Lavee Member
    It's looks as if every single one of my bank accounts have been truncated instead of being fully backed up because:
    My checking account now only goes back to 2005.
    My savings 1 and 2 only go back to 2011
    BoA card only goes back to 2017 and I've had that thing since 1999
    Chase card only goes back to 2018 and we've had that since 2007
    Discover as stated only goes back to 2017
    So I have YEARS of missing entries on all accounts now.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I have given you all the advice I can give you.  Review the Discover Card register from newest to oldest looking for when it goes from BLACK to RED.  That is when/where something happened or shortly before that.
    Every time a user claims that Quicken is doing the math incorrectly, they eventually come back and admit they found something wrong in the transactions.
    So, good luck finding the problem transactions.
  • Lavee
    Lavee Member
    Already told you the issue. Quicken backup is truncated or incomplete as I'm missing YEARS of entries from all accounts. So yes, it is a Quicken issue.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Lavee said:
    Already told you the issue. Quicken backup is truncated or incomplete as I'm missing YEARS of entries from all accounts. So yes, it is a Quicken issue.
    But this thread is about "Discover Card transactions are backward", is that somehow your data file has lost data, apparently a lot of it.
    I'd try an older backup to see it that fixes your issue.