Transaction Transfer not showing in both registers

I have a transaction for credit card payment that I setup to pay from checking . When the transaction hits the register it records as a category of the credit card name rather than [credit card] so the other side of transfer doesn't appear. Only affects this one credit card. My other credit card accounts work fine. Have validated and repaired my files to no avail.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Does the transaction in your checking account have the brackets around the credit card account name?  Sounds like you have a category selected in your checking account transaction.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • philliesphan0880
    philliesphan0880 Member ✭✭
    No it does not have the brackets and when I add the brackets QUicken just removes them again after i save. I assumed it was getting confused by category of same name but i have none. I suspect there is corruption to the account name that a validate/repair does not address.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Check to see if you have a category that is the same name as the account.
    The "regular" category and the "transfer" category share the same "name space".  If you have a regular category with the same name it can "override" the "transfer" category.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • philliesphan0880
    Chris_QPW great thought but i have checked that and nothing visible from the interface. Category list only shows the one with brackets
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well given that the problem account is a non investment account, my last try would be to recreate the account.
    As create a new account and use this method to move the transactions to it, and then delete the old account.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • philliesphan0880
    trying that. as the instructions indicated it is a slow process when using "move
    I do suspect the root cause is related to the scheduled Bills & Income reminders as I have noticed this is only transaction that gets the brackets removed and cannot be reassigned. If i create the transaction going the other way (create in credit card register vs checking register) I have no issues
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK, it should be impossible to have a Category of the exact same name as the name of an account register.
    To solve this issue, how about this:
    Create a backup ... just in case something goes wrong.
    Go into Edit Account Details and temporarily rename the account register (add an X to the end of the name, e.g. "Bank Name" to "Bank NameX").
    Now edit all transfer transactions that incorrectly transfer to Category "Bank Name" to transfer to "[Bank NameX]" with the brackets
    When all transactions have been corrected, look in the Category List. Category "Bank Name" should now show a Usage count of 0. If so, delete the Category "Bank Name". Rename the account register back to "Bank Name".