Why are my category edits not staying once I change them? (Q Mac)

Chfrat160
Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
I have many uncategorized transactions to which I have been applying category edits based on payee groups. For instance, multiple uncategorized Starbucks entries changed to the category Coffee Shops. I search for the Starbucks transactions, click on one of them, hit command A and it will highlight all Starbucks transactions. I then change the category to Coffee Shops on one of the highlighted entries and hit "okay". It will then change all Starbucks categories to Coffee Shops. (Thank you to the person who told me about this) I have changed many, many, many transactions and when I scroll back through or re-sort the order I am finding the changes have reverted back to the original "uncategorized" category. Any idea what I am doing incorrectly?

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Hello @Chfrat160

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

With the issue you're having I would recommend Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so. This will let us see the issue with you so that we're able to figure out exactly what's happening. I'll leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chfrat160 said:
    I have many uncategorized transactions to which I have been applying category edits based on payee groups. For instance, multiple uncategorized Starbucks entries changed to the category Coffee Shops. I search for the Starbucks transactions, click on one of them, hit command A and it will highlight all Starbucks transactions. I then change the category to Coffee Shops on one of the highlighted entries and hit "okay". It will then change all Starbucks categories to Coffee Shops. (Thank you to the person who told me about this) I have changed many, many, many transactions and when I scroll back through or re-sort the order I am finding the changes have reverted back to the original "uncategorized" category. Any idea what I am doing incorrectly?
    I wonder how exactly you are doing this. When you do your Search and then do select all, the transactions are all highlighted, right? What are you doing next to edit the Category field? Are you Control-clicking on one of the transactions and selecting Edit Transaction on the pop-up list, entering the category, and clicking OK. And then you can see that all the categories have changed. I can do this, and once changed, those categories don't change as I scroll or re-sort.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chfrat160
    Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
    edited April 1
    Your response was helpful. Thank you. My process a bit different. I found if I searched for a particular payee then highlighted that entry and hit "cmnd A" that it would highlight all that particular payee's entries. Then two-finger click on one of those entries. The transaction box with options to change payee, category, tags transfer and memo would pop up. Initially I was not "checking" the box indicating which attribute (field) I wanted to change. (shouldn't be necessary if you are changing data within the field - but perhaps). When I did change the category it would accept it and show the changes on the highlighted transactions but then later it would revert them back. So, I started checking the box next to the field I wanted to change and then changed the entry (category) and it seemed to accept that change. Another weird thing I found was that I would sort all transactions by category; find all of the uncategorized entries and apply categories to all of them. Then as I scrolled through transactions reviewing other entries I would randomly get more uncategorized transactions popping up, as if Quicken just found them. Not sure what I am doing to get these to pop-in after the initial sort. Any thoughts on my process would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Regarding your search process, you were basically doing what I was describing. When I said to Control-click one of the highlighted transactions and do Edit Transaction, that was from a desktop Mac mindset. On a laptop with a trackpad, your two-finger click is the same as a desktop Mac Right/Control-click. Either way, it brings up a menu of options, and you selected Edit Transaction. (Even faster: after you highlight several transactions you want to mass edit, just press Command-E and the Transaction Info box will open.)

When I then edit the category text, Quicken automatically checks the box next to Category; I've never checked that box manually. (If you uncheck the box, in fact, the new Category you enter won't be changed; the checkbox needs to be checked -- but Quicken does it for you when you change the Category.) I cannot replicate what you describe happening where you say you've seen the category changing on a group of transactions, yet later they are reverted to their original categories. I'm wondering if perhaps your original search was not on All Transactions, and might have missed some accounts (including closed/hidden accounts which come up in All Transaction searches but not other searches)? If you see this behavior again, please try to capture some screenshots so we can delved into it further.

Regarding your uncategorized transactions, I wonder what types of things you're finding which are uncategorized. There are some transactions may have been intentionally uncategorized in prior versions if you've been using Quicken for a long time; I have some for account opening balances and adjustments from Quicken 2007.  I also have some split transactions which come up in a search for uncategorized, because I would sometimes create an extra split line or two to record additional memo information (Quicken 2007 limited the length of a Memo entry, but modern Quicken does not). I could change the category to Adjustment for these transactions if I wanted to not see Uncategorized; I just haven't bothered because it wouldn't accomplish anything. But I'm not sure why you'd be finding Uncategorized transactions after searching for and fixing those which existed. If you do a Search now for Uncategorized, does the search result omit transactions which you can see have a category of Uncategorized?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993