Activation code expired

I purchased a two year copy of Quicken Deluxe 2018 in August of 2018 from Best Buy and then lost the box before I could install it.

I then purchased another two year copy and used it.

Then, of course, I found the original.

Now it's time to update again and Quicken is saying that original code is expired.

I've read a couple of threads here on the topic and based on the information there am on the phone with Quicken to get a new code.

Except the CSR I'm speaking with says that's impossible and I have to buy a new copy.

This is ridiculous. I've been a customer since 1998 and I've paid for another two years of the software. My box has nothing about an expiration date, either on the inside or outside.

I'm on hold for a supervisor now. Any suggestions?

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken, like many other personal finance software applications, has shifted to a subscription model that you pay every year. Your original purchase from Best Buy and your subsequent purchase for the two-year program has expired. You didn't say how soon after you lost your original purchase that you found it again but if it was shortly after you purchased another copy Quicken may have assisted you in some manner. Most likely you probably waited until your second copy expired and then tried to use your first purchased copy, so I can see why Quicken would not provide you with another activation code. Anyone could say they haven't used software they purchased a couple of years ago and ask for an activation code.

The following link has some frequently asked questions about the new subscription model.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs
  • EdgyCricket
    EdgyCricket Member ✭✭
    "Anyone could say they haven't used software they purchased a couple of years ago and ask for an activation code."

But I have an activation code. It's never been used. Quicken can see that. And there's nothing in or on the box to indicate it will expire.

Fortunately while the first support tier didn't agree with me second tier support did and extended my subscription by two years.
This discussion has been closed.