Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can't use quick pay if my bill is on auto pay?

I tried to use quick pay and it says "This payment cannot be made because the bill is on auto-pay at the biller website."

I set up auto-pay on my bills so I don't forget and get a late fee.  So, that renders Quicken bill pay useless?  That's ridiculous.  They claim that bill manager is better but so far that is far from true.

Quicken Premier vR32.10 Build 27.1.32.10
Windows 10 Home v20H2 Build 10942.867

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    They claim that bill manager is better but so far that is far from true.
    First off one has to understand two things about such a claim.  One it is "marketing hype" and second is that you have no idea of what they are comparing to.

For instance if you were paying bills through Quicken through Direct Connect to your financial institution, then that would be far superior to "Quicken Bill Pay".  They are in fact comparing it basically to "nothing" in my opinion.  As in if you aren't paying your bills at all, because that is about the only thing that it seems "superior" to.

They "can't be" comparing it to the old Quicken Bill Pay because clearly that system was superior to this system if for no other reason than it got the bills paid on time whereas there have been numerous complains about that for "Quicken Bill Manager".  And they can't be comparing it to using your financial institution's web site bill paying system, and certainly not to automatic payments.

First lets note how this system works.  The "Online Bill" part of it that has been around for many years (an unreliable for all those years) is a third party system that tries to log into the biller's website and get the bills.  I tried to use this system for years.  For some billers it works.  For others it never works even when it says it is connected (never retrieves the bill).  And for others they need constant "refreshing".

Then there is two ways to pay the bill one is where that same system tries not only to retrieve the bill it tries to submit an auto payment.  There isn't no standard for getting the bills or submitting bills, so this is very problematic.  But most important thing to note for people that are already using the biller's automatic bill paying system (like you and I) is that their "scripts" are trying to do what you have already done, submit a request to have a bill paid automatically.  Supposedly this is better than a human going to that site, reading all the conditions and requirements and then submitting that request themselves.

The other is to send out a check, which by a lot of accounts on here can "vanish" without any trace or take weeks and weeks to get to there.

About the only part of this system you might want to try is the Online Bill Presentment.  For bills that it works on, you will get a reminder that has what the actual bill is for that month.  On the other hand you might just get a lot of frustration like I did trying to make it work for years.  Note that if you link an Online Bill to a reminder none of the "estimates" will work and you will be stuck at the most with this month's bill being the bill amount predicted in the Projected Balance for the future payments.  "At worse" you will find that when it goes to pick up the bill it goes into "Awaiting Next Bill" state and sets the future predicted bills are a zero amount.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not understanding. Why would you want to manually pay a bill that is set up for auto pay? Won't you end up double paying?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First off one has to understand two things about such a claim.  One it is "marketing hype" and second is that you have no idea of what they are comparing to.

For instance if you were paying bills through Quicken through Direct Connect to your financial institution, then that would be far superior to "Quicken Bill Pay".  They are in fact comparing it basically to "nothing" in my opinion.  As in if you aren't paying your bills at all, because that is about the only thing that it seems "superior" to.

They "can't be" comparing it to the old Quicken Bill Pay because clearly that system was superior to this system if for no other reason than it got the bills paid on time whereas there have been numerous complains about that for "Quicken Bill Manager".  And they can't be comparing it to using your financial institution's web site bill paying system, and certainly not to automatic payments.

First lets note how this system works.  The "Online Bill" part of it that has been around for many years (an unreliable for all those years) is a third party system that tries to log into the biller's website and get the bills.  I tried to use this system for years.  For some billers it works.  For others it never works even when it says it is connected (never retrieves the bill).  And for others they need constant "refreshing".

Then there is two ways to pay the bill one is where that same system tries not only to retrieve the bill it tries to submit an auto payment.  There isn't no standard for getting the bills or submitting bills, so this is very problematic.  But most important thing to note for people that are already using the biller's automatic bill paying system (like you and I) is that their "scripts" are trying to do what you have already done, submit a request to have a bill paid automatically.  Supposedly this is better than a human going to that site, reading all the conditions and requirements and then submitting that request themselves.

The other is to send out a check, which by a lot of accounts on here can "vanish" without any trace or take weeks and weeks to get to there.

About the only part of this system you might want to try is the Online Bill Presentment.  For bills that it works on, you will get a reminder that has what the actual bill is for that month.  On the other hand you might just get a lot of frustration like I did trying to make it work for years.  Note that if you link an Online Bill to a reminder none of the "estimates" will work and you will be stuck at the most with this month's bill being the bill amount predicted in the Projected Balance for the future payments.  "At worse" you will find that when it goes to pick up the bill it goes into "Awaiting Next Bill" state and sets the future predicted bills are a zero amount.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Michael Rosen
    Michael Rosen Member ✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    I'm not understanding. Why would you want to manually pay a bill that is set up for auto pay? Won't you end up double paying?

No, I have it set to pay the minimum until I intervene to pay the balance.
  • Michael Rosen
    Michael Rosen Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

You summed it up very well.  I used to bank with Suntrust and used Direct Connect.  Then I switched to Capital One and had to sign up for Quicken Bill Pay.  It worked very well for the most part to link my bills to reminders to be automatically entered into my register for online bill pay.  That is now broken.