Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Change reconciliation method

how do i change my reconciliation method back to bank statements? My banking account is linked to my investment account, and shows no tab for 'Online Services.' My investment account has that tab, but under it the only option is to change reconciliation to online balance. That's what the linked banking account is doing, and I want to put it back to reconciling with my bank statement.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note you posted this in the "Web" section, not the Windows section, but since none of the Mobile, Web, or Mac versions of Quicken have linked checking accounts, I have answered for Quicken Windows.  You also didn't state in your profile what version of Quicken you are using.

About the only thing I can suggest is to run Validate and Repair, because what you are describing shouldn't ever happen.
    I even converted one of my brokerage accounts to have a linked checking account, and it isn't possible there.

A linked checking account is a "virtual account".  All the transactions come in through the investment account, and when Quicken sees a cash transaction it pushes it to the linked checking account.  That is why there isn't an Online Services tab in the linked checking account, it isn't "online".

On the "Reconcile to online balances" selection in the Investment account.  It does nothing.  Currently Quicken never reconciles investment accounts to online balances.  That option shouldn't even be there.
    Example:

Ctrl+R:

Note you posted this in the "Web" section, not the Windows section, but since none of the Mobile, Web, or Mac versions of Quicken have linked checking accounts, I have answered for Quicken Windows.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Charles T Cullen
    Charles T Cullen Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your response, and I apologize for posting in the wrong place. I am using Quicken for Windows, version R32.10.

I appreciate all that you say, but I have been reconciling my linked banking account using the bank statement method for many years. Sometime last year I tried switching to the online balance method but I didn't like it, and I switched back. Last month I reconciled my banking account using the bank statement, and it went normally. Today when I tried to reconcile the same account, it had switched to online balance method. How, I don't know, but these are the facts.

After writing the above two paragraphs, I opened other accounts and noted that all of them were now defaulting to online balance reconciliation. I changed one of them, a non-linked banking account, to bank statement, and then opened my linked account I have been trying to reconcile. When I clicked on reconcile, it opened in bank statement mode!

As you suggest, perhaps I need to run validate and repair.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (run Validate and Repair) given that last paragraph where another account is affecting this account, that is extremely strange and is either corruption in your data file or some weird bug in Quicken.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/