credit card cash basis

how do you change credit card date to the date paid, not the date of the transaction

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    The best way to record credit cards in Quicken is to have a separate account for each credit card, and record each transaction in the credit card account on the date of the charge -- mirroring the real world credit card account. When you pay the credit card bill, you enter the payment in your checking account, and make it a transfer to the credit card account. This records the cash coming out of your bank account on the correct day, and reduces your credit card balance -- again, a mirror of the real world.

If you're trying to do something else in Quicken, please post back with more details.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Accepted Answer
    The best way to record credit cards in Quicken is to have a separate account for each credit card, and record each transaction in the credit card account on the date of the charge -- mirroring the real world credit card account. When you pay the credit card bill, you enter the payment in your checking account, and make it a transfer to the credit card account. This records the cash coming out of your bank account on the correct day, and reduces your credit card balance -- again, a mirror of the real world.

If you're trying to do something else in Quicken, please post back with more details.
  • Susan Bockholt
    Susan Bockholt Member
    Thanks Jacob. That makes sense. Is there a way to merge cash flow reports? I'm used to sending my accountant one P&L for our income/expenses and I was trying to avoid multiple reports. I moved all of the transactions from my credit card account (which I did set up) into my checking account thinking that would pick up the specific transactions, but the dates of course are date of transaction, not date I paid the CC. I messed up there.
  • jacobs
    I'm not sure what you mean about merging cash flow reports?

For your P&L, you generally want the credit card transaction date for tax purposes, not the date the card was paid. For instance, I made several charitable contributions on December 31. I didn't get the credit card bill until mid-January, and didn't pay it until early February. But all that's relevant for tax purposes is that the transaction was made on December 31.

You have a credit card account, and you record each transaction in the credit card account on the date it occurred. (In my example, a charge of $100 to XYZ Charity on 12/31/20.) When you run your Transaction report, you'll see the $100 expense on 12/31/20 in the Charity category. When you pay your credit card sometime later, you enter the payment in your checking account, using a category of "Transfer:[ABC Credit Card]", creating a linked transfer in that account reducing your balance by the amount paid.

So: many transactions in the credit card account, one payment transaction in the checking account which is a linked transfer to the credit card account. Your expenses will appear on the date they occurred.

Does that make sense? Does that accomplish what you wanted to do?