Very Odd Reconcile Problem (For Me Anyway)

It's really too bad we can't include screen shots to help illustrate problems. I'll try to explain.

I'm a 20+ year Quicken user. I reconcile all accounts monthly - only occasionally do I have reconcile issues & generally they are because I transposed or incorrectly entered charges in ledger. Easy fixes.

When I attempt to reconcile my credit card today by entering the charges, payments, balance, etc. the cleared balance is already showing a large balance EVEN BEFORE I've cleared anything. For the life of me I can't figure out why or how to correct.

Here's what I've entered in the "Balances" window:

Charges/Cash Advances: 4,049.08
Payments/Credits: 1,362.07
Ending Balance: 4,049.08
New Statement Ending Dtd: 4/02/21

After clicking OK, the Reconcile window opens with Charges on the left & Payments on the right. Notice the Cleared Balance amount. Again, this amount appears without a single charge or payment being "cleared."

Cleared Balance: 2139.21 <<<<<< Why??????
Statement Ending Balance: 4049.08
Difference: -1909.87

I've closed Quicken, rebooted the PC, checked for updates, and even opened the *.QDF from another PC and I still have the same issue.

I went through & checked each charge against the statement & the "charges, debits" balance on the left side of the Reconcile window match the statement to the penny ($4049.08). BUT the cleared balance on the right side underneath the payments block then shows $6188.29.

There is only one payment of $1,362.07. Once I clear it, the Payments "block" shows the correct payment, credit balance.

Cleared Balance: 4826.22 < yet the actual cleared balance is 4049.08
Statement Ending Balance: 4049.08
Difference: 777.14

Lastly, I read where someone else said you don't really need to fill out "Balance" window with the charges, payments, credits, balance, & statement date. That person just enters zero. I tried that. No change.

I'm stumped.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To include screens shots, I suggest you drag and drop the image file on to the text entry box.

The Cleared Balance is the sum of all of the transactions in the register marked as reconciled and the transactions checked in the Clr column of the reconcile window. 

Based on your description, I suspect one or more transactions marked as reconcile have been added, removed, or have been modified since you last reconcile the account.  To determine what changed in the account, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was previously reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.

Note:  To reconcile a credit card account, we do need to provide an accurate Ending statement date and Ending balance.  The amounts we enter for Charges and Payments are ignored.