Fidelity One Step Update Suddenly Failing

This morning I started getting an error when doing my regular, daily one step update. It fails on the Fidelity accounts. I made sure my userid and password hadn't changed by logging into Fidelity manually. I believe this is due to the Quicken update that I installed yesterday. Please fix it ASAP so I can manage my finances!!

During the last online session, Quicken encountered an online error [OL-332-A].

Answers

• Walter Roth
    Walter Roth Member ✭✭
    I am experiencing similar problems. It asks whether I changed my password recently. I respond no and re-enter it. It says to check back in 24 hours. I tried resetting the accounts. It seemed to work after that.
  • Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    This is a clear bug in the release, so hopefully it will be fixed immediately. I do not want to have to reset the account. Hard to see how this got past any testing (do they do testing before releasing this stuff on us?) as Fidelity is a pretty huge and common linked financial firm.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 9
    This is a clear bug in the release, so hopefully it will be fixed immediately. I do not want to have to reset the account. Hard to see how this got past any testing (do they do testing before releasing this stuff on us?) as Fidelity is a pretty huge and common linked financial firm.

WHAT release are you referencing?  I'm running Build 27,1.32.12 (i.e., the newest release) and had no problems downloading from Fidelity Investments this morning.
    WERE there a bug, then everyone running the same release as you should be experiencing it.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    I'm using build 27.1.32.12 (R32.12) on Windows 10. So that's different from yours, to some extent (I'm on Deluxe, you're on Home and Business).

I've been using Quicken basically every day since the 1980's, so I do know my way around the software and how to troubleshoot/diagnose problems. This doesn't appear to be on my end. Nothing changed on my end, other than a new Quicken update.

I've been down this road quite a few times, these kinds of problems aren't uncommon, as evidenced by the frequent threads here and on other forums.
  • NotACPA
    edited April 9
    "I'm using build 27.1.32.12 (R32.12) on Windows 10. So that's different from yours, to some extent (I'm on Deluxe, you're on Home and Business). "
    I had a typo in my reply, (since corrected).  We're on the same build.  And, as far as downloads are concerned, there's no difference between Deluxe vs H&B.  They both (along with Starter and Premier) use the same download engine.
    In fact, your installation of Deluxe CONTAINS H&B ... it's just that the H&B features are turned off since you haven't paid for them.
    And you never stated whether you read the info, and followed directions, at the link that I provided.
    Lastly, if this were a Q bug ... WHY am I not experiencing it???

• Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    I did read the link. As I stated, my account isn't locked due to too many attempts. I logged in manually in my browser as well as the Fidelity app using the same userid and password. I haven't changed either in a year. Quicken asked me for the password again after the 332 error, and I carefully typed it in. It's correct.

I had a 30-year career in IT/software Q&A, testing, security, development. There are many possible variables that could explain why the bug hit me and Walter Roth, but not you. For example, Quicken seems to be complaining about a particular type of account here, a brokerage one. I have several different types of Fidelity accounts that Quicken updates for me (checking, savings, brokerage, IRA, 401k). Maybe you don't have the same types, and it may work fine for the types of accounts that you have, but not the types of accounts that I have, or one of them.

You could be hitting different servers in your region. The possibilities are endless, but in the end, it appears that only one thing has changed between when it worked and when it didn't - and that's the quicken update I did last night.
  • NotACPA
    I also have multiple brokerage accounts, and multiple retirement type accounts at Fidelity.
    And Fidelity, as an investment company, can NOT offer a checking account.  Only a bank can do that, although there are several ways to get around that such as having United Missouri Bank actually support the "checking" account that's really a share draft against your MMF.  Likewise, Fidelity can't offer a "savings" account, but they can offer a MMF that, from your perspective, works much like a savings account.
    BTW, I'm on the same update, Build 27.1.32.12 and not having the problem.  As long as you keep blaming Quicken, for what is most likely a problem with your Q data file, you're not going to get too far in resolving this.
  • Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I'm aware of how my "checking" account is facilitated through Fidelity but is actually held at UMB. It doesn't sound like you have that, so there's a delta, and could be part of the problem.

As I said, I've been doing this for decades, and until I get a better sense of where the problem is, I'm not willing to invest too much time in it or mess around with my data file,do resets, etc. The reason is that after decades of going down this rabbit hole, especially when it happens just after a Quicken update, the problem has been overwhelmingly due to something in the update. Particularly when it comes to a problem with one-step update and downloading transactions.

That's why I posted here to begin with - to find out if it's "me" or others are experiencing it. So far I've seen that to be the case - Walter did. Perhaps others will cime in. If not, I'll invest some of my time.

I'd also say that if you're a fanboy that's predisposed to absolving Quicken, you're also not going to get far in resolving this. I appreciate your time here and helping others, but there is a history of this sort of thing, and I've got a personal history of losing a lot of time and even data files assuming the problem is on my end and taking suggested steps by support. Everything else is working fine, including the one-step update to five other financial institutions (Ally, Vanguard, and others).
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I posted here to begin with - to find out if it's "me" or others are experiencing it. So far I've seen that to be the case - Walter did. Perhaps others will cime in. If not, I'll invest some of my time.
    Fidelity updated as usual for me today with no issues. I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    "It doesn't sound like you have that, so there's a delta, and could be part of the problem."  More unfounded speculation.

• Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    Fidelity updated for me normally this morning, so I want to thank Quicken for fixing the back-end issue that was causing problems, and I accept your apology NotACPA as it was resolved without me changing a thing on my end :-)
  • NotACPA
    Quicken didn't change anything.  MORE unfounded speculation.