My category has disappeared? Quicken for Windows

Hi. Just noticed that I didn't include the Category for some payees. When I attempted to do so, the Category - which I've been using for years - has disappeared. Why? Am I looking, somehow, in the wrong place?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Don Freedman,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Before we attempt troubleshooting; first, could you please navigate to Tools > Memorized Payee List, look for the payee name in question, and verify whether or not the missing category is missing from the payee in this list as well? Next, please navigate to Tools > Category List and check if the missing category is also missing from the Category List itself.

Please, check back and let us know what you find! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • Don Freedman
    Don Freedman Member ✭✭
    Hi.
    <ul><li>I am using Home, Business, Real Property. </li><li>I went to Tools > Memorized Payee List, and one the payee is listed. The category is NOT missing.</li><li>I went to Tools > Category List, and the category is NOT missing. It just isn't showing up as an option in the register. Strange</li><li>Can you suggest something?</li></ul>
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for checking and providing an update.

Next, if you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    In the Category List please check to make sure that this category is NOT marked as hidden.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken windows (Category List and Memorized Payee List) showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Don Freedman
    Don Freedman Member ✭✭
    BINGO! All those fields, somehow, were marked as "hidden." I didn't make that change, not sure how it happened, but thank you, that's the solution UKR