Quicken 2017 appears to be unaware of my internet connection

I have been using Quicken since 1991. I know how it ordinarily should work. When opening my file, it accepts the file pw, but then runs into a brick wall and apparently cannot find my internet connection (which is very much present as evidenced by this question on your forum). It drops me on the internal quicken error page that says:

"Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]"

I have seen only one other program that has similar difficulties with my internet connection, Fitbit, and in order to update I have to visit a coffee shop and use their wifi since it for some reason does not understand my internet connection. I think you need better programmers as most all other bits of software I use fully implement and can utilize my internet connection.

Questions:
(1) is there an offline mode I can use to simply open and work on my file? (Like the old days from 1991 to 2017?)
(2) Can I revert the upgrade that "updated" my 2017 Quicken into this unusable monstrosity?
(3) Is there a fix for this that I can implement soon as taxes are coming due and all my financial info is locked up now because of this idiotic internet incompatibility.

Best Answers

• Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Accepted Answer
    SUCCESS! Unfortunately I didn't experiment to find out which file did the trick, but I resolved the problem this way:

I copied all the files from the working Quicken on the old computer in the path:
    All "ProgramData/Intuit/Quicken/Config" files, there are nine (9) small files so it's a quick transfer
    I copied the working config files to the new computer where Quicken would not work.

After doing this, the newly installed Quicken on the new computer now works. Likely there is some config switch that is set when the program first "phones home" in a new installation. If it can't phone home, then you can't use Quicken. However while looking at the OLD error logs, I noticed the old program (which still works), also began to have similar "phone home" errors last year, but it didn't affect usage. This suggests a connection error alone is not sufficient to cause a fatal error. What it DOES suggest is that there may be conditional states for a fatal error, like first installation or such.

I guessed if they did that they may have just put it in a switch in one of the 9 config files, or even a new config file....I also forgot to count the old files. Since I used the default directories for both program installations, I think the likelihood of an error is low, but I cannot yet tell.

But it worked. Everything seems to work OK now in the NEW installation as well as the old installation.

I will continue to experiment with this after tax season to narrow down the precise file which needs to be transferred to get Q 2017 to work in a new installation. But in the meantime....the solution lays in the config files. If you have a working old installation, then you can get a new installation to work as well.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Accepted Answer
    It took a day on the forum here, getting clues from a number of people here, but I think I have figured it all out. Since the fix is for my CD installation, it likely would be true for all Q 2017 CD installations. However, it's not known if it would also apply to download versions of Q 2017, since presumably those could have been updated automatically at some point to correct this issue.

I have been using Quicken since 1991, so I know how Quicken ordinarily works. And I have been using Q 2017 on an older computer since it was introduced, without problem. When I recently got a new computer, I installed Q 2017 to it, but Q 2017 stubbornly would not work. Clean wipes and reinstallations also did not work.

The symptom is: on opening a data file in the new installation, (new or old data file, doesn't matter), it accepts the file pw, loads the file, but then immediately runs into a brick wall and drops an error page, claiming:

"Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]"

This has nothing to do with your internet connection. This is more likely the old program is attempting to contact a URL that doesn't exist or doesn't acknowledge older versions of Quicken.

However, that is not the end of the story. My older installation of Q2017 still worked, so if the URL didn't work for the new installation, why didn't it also brick the old installation?

This is the guesswork: there is likely a conditional state for first installations, but its status is stored LOCALLY, not on the web. So what does that mean practically?

After a bit of searching I found the sole arbiter of this conditional state is held somewhere among the files in the config files folder for Quicken. It's location is in the *hidden* folder, "ProgramData" which should be on your C: drive. The path would be:

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config

The files themselves are very small, and there are only 7 to 9 of them. Since I used the default locations in the new installation, and same data files, etc, I solved the issue by SAVING THE CONFIG FILES and then COPIED THEM TO THE NEW INSTALLATION CONFIG FILE FOLDER, OVERWRITING THE NEW FILES WITH THE OLD.

THAT'S IT. That is how you make Q2017 work in a new installation in 2021 onward. Do not delete your old config files whatever you do, as if you do, then Q 2017 will just be a brick thereafter.

==================================

AFTERNOTE: I looked into the history of this and think I found out how all this happened. Apparently around 2010 or so, Intuit was attempting to create a mechanism by which it could transition its users from fixed programs that last forever to a subscription model, (ie. they want to collect rent!). The problem was, at the time NO ONE wanted this. AT ALL. Users were threatening a boycott of Intuit products if they ever bricked their programs which they bought under the presumption of buy-once, then upgrade separately with another buy-once product. So the first step in this transition was simply to create the online ID for users with a promise that no matter what, they will be able to continue using their product, like Q2017. Q2017 required this online access for first installation. And you couldn't set it up without it. The sneaky part likely was that they knew this installation access would not be allowed after a certain period of time. But at the same time, they promised publicly that if you installed it, it would forever continue working. There's the rub. Old installations would continue working, but new installations could not be mad after a certain point which they arbitrarily determined.

But to do this, they had to store the flag for this conditional state locally.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you flush the DNS cache:

• Medesse
    Medesse Member
    I flushed the DNS, and it made it "worse": now when I launch Quicken, it goes straight to that error message, and does not even stop to ask about the default file pw. I'm guessing flushing the DNS caused quicken to lose information on the default file.

So, despite having a good internet connection, quite active, Quicken continues to not recognize it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Windows are you using?
    Have you rebooted since flushing the DNS?
    Are you using a VPN? Try without.
    Are you connected thru a corporate firewall? The IT guys will have to allow Quicken access to the Internet.
    Still using Windows 7 SP1?
    As of January 14, 2020, Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft!
    Ensure that TLS 1.2 is enabled in Control Panel / Internet Options.
    In Windows Control Panel select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
    Click Apply.
    Click the Content tab.
    Click the "Clear SSL State" button under Certificates.
    Click Apply, then OK.
    Close IE. Close and restart Quicken.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medesse said:
    I flushed the DNS, and it made it "worse": now when I launch Quicken, it goes straight to that error message, and does not even stop to ask about the default file pw. I'm guessing flushing the DNS caused quicken to lose information on the default file.

So, despite having a good internet connection, quite active, Quicken continues to not recognize it.
    I suspect you do have a DNS service issue.  If you're using a router for DNS service, I suggest you flush its cache as well.   The methods for flushing the cache on a router vary.  I suggest you review the manual.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    I'm not using a router, just a proxy server called PDANet. The internet connection from my phone to my PC normally works quite well, but isolated apps like Quicken and Fitbit for some reason can't fathom it. I can try to flush the cache on the phone for that app.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Flushing the cache on the proxy server app did not help. This means I will likely have do spend several days at Starbucks just to do taxes. Why do a couple apps like Quicken and Fitbit fail so miserably with this kind of internet connection?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medesse said:
    I'm not using a router, just a proxy server called PDANet. The internet connection from my phone to my PC normally works quite well, but isolated apps like Quicken and Fitbit for some reason can't fathom it. I can try to flush the cache on the phone for that app.
    I suggest flushing the DNS cache on the phone.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    What I am noticing when I parse out the start up sequence is that Quicken will load my file as usual, landing on the start page, but then this intrusive internet process immediately begins, ending with the aforementioned error simply because it cannot understand my internet connection, and it will continue to block access to an otherwise fully functional Quicken file.

All my data entry is by hand because I find the automatic categories assigned by Quicken through bank and other financial institution connections to be inadequate. This has been true for decades. I do not need internet access for Quicken at all. Is there any way to fully disable this apparent "necessity" for the internet?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think @UKR's suggestions are your best bet.

Quicken in fact knows next to nothing about your Internet connection.
    Quicken simply opens a connection to a certain URL/machine.  It is up to the underline Windows libraries and settings to determine how that is done, especially looking up of the machine name.

Quicken may be using some older Windows libraries, and as such something that your proxy server isn't "servicing".
    For proxies Quicken is going to rely on the Internet Proxy settings in Windows.

As for can you get around this, "go offline".  The answer is no.
    Since Quicken 2014 the Quicken Id has been required.  It is certainly known that it used at a minimum for registration, but it also is used to log into the Quicken servers to check on updates.  Even with Quicken 2013 and below it would do such checks, but maybe wouldn't hang like this when it failed.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually I just thought of old setting that "might" apply.  It is a long shot though.
    In C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\Quicken.ini

Set: Periodic_last_update=
    To today's date and then start Quicken.
    Signature:
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    I just tried flushing the phone's DNS cache, the instructions I found on the web direct me to various browser apps however. So to be sure I cleared the cache for two browsers as well as for PdaNET, and none of those actions worked. Quicken is still basically hijacked by this internet connection error and won't let me access my data.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    There may indeed be a DNS issue, but this thread is about Q2017 ... which should have lost connectivity a year ago.
    So, @Medesse, Please do Help, About Quicken and tell us:
    • What Q product you're running,
    • The BUILD of that product, and
    • The "Membership Valid Thru" date found there.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    I just checked the Quicken file, but the path is different: it is in the (x86) program file section, and there is no "config" folder. I do not see any ".ini" document either.

Since I did in fact successfully use this program as recently as Oct. 2020 (likely the last time I used it), either I circumvented this issue then by using another external wifi service or it was working then....I don't recall. Since I only use it for tax data, it's rather critical and needs to be usable at any time.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Quicken 2017 Deluxe
    Version R1 (Build: 26.1.1.5)

Registered to Intuit Id: (myself)

There is no "membership valid through..." information listed. I own the product, "membership" should be indefinite.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    As to, " about Q2017 ... which should have lost connectivity a year ago."

Why would it have lost connectivity a year ago? To force users to upgrade?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medesse said:
    I just checked the Quicken file, but the path is different: it is in the (x86) program file section, and there is no "config" folder. I do not see any ".ini" document either.

Since I did in fact successfully use this program as recently as Oct. 2020 (likely the last time I used it), either I circumvented this issue then by using another external wifi service or it was working then....I don't recall. Since I only use it for tax data, it's rather critical and needs to be usable at any time.
    With Quicken 2017, the path should be C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\Quicken.ini

Note: C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    > @Sherlock said:
    > With Quicken 2017, the path should be C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\Quicken.ini
    >
    > Note: C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder.

Ah I found it, but it was already set to today's date:
    "Periodic_last_update=4/12/2021"

So this apparently is not a related issue.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Do you think reloading the application may help? Since this is a new computer, I only just reregistered it less than a year ago on this platform.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12
    Medesse said:
    Do you think reloading the application may help? Since this is a new computer, I only just reregistered it less than a year ago on this platform.
    I don't think reloading the application will correct a DNS service issue over a tethered connection.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @medesse, you did NOT "buy Quicken".  You bought a LICENSE to run Quicken subject to the "Terms of Use", found on the HELP Menu.
    You agreed to these when you installed Q (Q would not have installed should you have refused to agree).  These Terms clearly state that certain services (downloads and product updates) will no longer be available when your Membership ends.  Your's ended on 3/31/2020.
    Downloading, and maintaining the product cost money ... and unless you've paid for these service (thru renewing your membership/upgrading) you're not contributing any funds to maintain these services.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Ok I found a workaround. I still don't know what the current issue is with this installation. However, I pulled out an old laptop on which the same program was loaded 3 years ago, and it will open fine without any internet connection at all even and will let me continue. I unplugged the internet from my new computer and attempted to do the same with the newer installation, and it does not. With or without the internet connection, it will not run.

But it does still run as usual in the older installation.

This leads me to the conclusion this may have to do with some sort of patch or update that was applied to the newer installation which the older installation does not yet have. However, I can also try reloading the application again to see if it still hangs on an error page.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @medesse, you did NOT "buy Quicken".  You bought a LICENSE to run Quicken subject to the "Terms of Use", found on the HELP Menu.You agreed to these when you installed Q (Q would not have installed should you have refused to agree).  These Terms clearly state that certain services (downloads and product updates) will no longer be available when your Membership ends.  Your's ended on 3/31/2020.Downloading, and maintaining the product cost money ... and unless you've paid for these service (thru renewing your membership/upgrading) you're not contributing any funds to maintain these services.

That would be true except none of the language used in the product help file states the term of use is limited by time. Therefore, barring substantial changes in hardware and software running the software, it's use would be indefinite as-is.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @medesse, you did NOT "buy Quicken".  You bought a LICENSE to run Quicken subject to the "Terms of Use", found on the HELP Menu.You agreed to these when you installed Q (Q would not have installed should you have refused to agree).  These Terms clearly state that certain services (downloads and product updates) will no longer be available when your Membership ends.  Your's ended on 3/31/2020.Downloading, and maintaining the product cost money ... and unless you've paid for these service (thru renewing your membership/upgrading) you're not contributing any funds to maintain these services.

And actually, I just did a search of the included Quicken 2017 help file and TOS, and neither even has the word "membership" or "member" in it, (except if you are "member" of a legal dispute, etc.). There was never an indication this product was limited by some time-based or fee-based intent. I have no clue where you are getting this idea. It may be that other versions destined for other countries may be so limited, but this does not appear to be the case here.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medesse said:
    Flushing the cache on the proxy server app did not help. This means I will likely have do spend several days at Starbucks just to do taxes. Why do a couple apps like Quicken and Fitbit fail so miserably with this kind of internet connection?
    There are a few different APIs applications may use to resolve hostnames to IP addresses.  It's plausible the tethered configuration does not support them all.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Well I did some research on this, and indeed, I was right, this is a country by country thing, and subscriptions exist primarily for downloading online transactions (which I never do). According to one news source:
    "Quicken had long used a similar "sunset" policy, as after three years a licensed version of the software would stop downloading transactions from online sources or letting users pay bills electronically. Even then, though, customers could add transactions manually....Quicken declined to comment when asked whether it planned to expand the subscription model to U.S. customers, and if so, whether that would be their only option."

Manual entry of transactions certainly at the time of Q2017 was never blocked. Whatever this glitch is, it is not affecting my prior installation of Q2017 on my old laptop from 2017. I can still enter data manually on that installation.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    > @Sherlock said:
    > There are a few different APIs applications may use to resolve hostnames to IP addresses.  It's plausible the tethered configuration does not support them all.

That is sort of what I was thinking since most apps work just fine. The problem is, my old installation of Q2017 does not bomb out when there is no internet....it simply drops me in the ledger where I can manually enter data. The behavior of the installation on my new computer is just perplexing. It may be that during the setup of the new computer I downloaded various patches for Quicken which may have altered its behavior, forcing it to seek internet approval before allowing manual entry. Based on my research of the different country variations of Q2017, I am thinking this may be the case. I may have downloaded a Canadian patch for my US installation. Apparently Intuit ramrodded subscriptions more heavily in Canada before the US. But other articles I read from the time indicated that manual data entry would not be blocked. But somehow, here, it is.
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    Frankly I have always used manual data entry because when I first tried their downloading from online sources back in the early 2000s it was a big mess. Categorizations were all off, the ability to convert categorizations was limited, and downloading sources ended up taking longer than just entering data direct because:

(1) downloading inevitably required editing categorization mistakes
    (2) online data is skeletal, meaning, you have reedit each transaction anyway to add the additional data you want for each transaction. Memos, time stamps, etc.

All of this makes downloading online data much more time intensive than just manually entering data in the first place. That's why all of these subscription based forays by Intuit are really irrelevant to my use of Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medesse said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > There are a few different APIs applications may use to resolve hostnames to IP addresses.  It's plausible the tethered configuration does not support them all.

That is sort of what I was thinking since most apps work just fine. The problem is, my old installation of Q2017 does not bomb out when there is no internet....it simply drops me in the ledger where I can manually enter data. The behavior of the installation on my new computer is just perplexing. It may be that during the setup of the new computer I downloaded various patches for Quicken which may have altered its behavior, forcing it to seek internet approval before allowing manual entry. Based on my research of the different country variations of Q2017, I am thinking this may be the case. I may have downloaded a Canadian patch for my US installation. Apparently Intuit ramrodded subscriptions more heavily in Canada before the US. But other articles I read from the time indicated that manual data entry would not be blocked. But somehow, here, it is.
    So, it's possible an update to Quicken 2017 depends on the ability to resolve a hostname to an IP address.

You could perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, and update Quicken 2017 to an earlier release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  You should be able find the patches at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Medesse
    Medesse Member
    > @Sherlock said:
    > So, it's possible an update to Quicken 2017 depends on the ability to resolve a hostname to an IP address.
    >
    > You could perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, and update Quicken 2017 to an earlier release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  You should be able find the patches at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

I will try this, but I probably won't be able to retrieve and reinstall it prior to the weekend. I am hoping for the best since I have Turbo Tax 2020 on my new computer and it would be so much easier if I had quicken there too. But at least I have a temporary work-around for data entry in the meantime. Thanks all for your ideas.

I had forgotten Quicken 2017 had started to push subscriptions at that time and didn't realize they would be throttling some countries more severely than others. As I pointed out, online data could never work for me as it was too skeletal and required individual transaction editing anyway....something that takes longer than just typing it all in to begin with. Since that was the main "subscription" thrust at that time, I totally ignored it as it didn't affect my manual data entry.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth and to clear up some confusion even though the online services have been deactivated supposedly Quicken even very old versions still try to connect.

And it is the server that denies access and sometimes it's because the server is not there anymore that is denied.

The reason why I mentioned this is because I can tell you that if you install Quicken 2017 it will download the latest patch release.

So for whatever reason they haven't cut that part off.

This comes under the same line so people finding out that after years of downloading security quotes and the server being decommissioned that they were never entitled to download quotes years past the license agreement.

I attribute this to sloppy server management/licensing enforcing.

And I will mention something about what I have noticed about the way the login/checklicense whatever it is works.

It is some kind of periodic check because you can be disconnected and it will work fine.

But once it gets into a mode that it thinks it needs to check you have to make that internet connection and let it check.

The big problem here is all of this licensing checking is secret they don't tell us how it works and as such we have no idea when it's going to pop up like this.

I can tell you that if you install again it will definitely pop up.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.