Can't get bank balance to agree with quicken register, even after restoring from backup

I'm not sure how to get my register back in sync with my bank. I have tried restoring from a backup several times and each time as soon as I connect back to my bank with express web connect, (after deactivating, doing the file repair tool and reactivating) I get wildly different balances. And transactions from 2016 , 2017 show as uncleared. There are missing and duplicate transactions. It's a complete mess. I've done it multiple times with varying results each time, none of them correct.

I called quicken support and was told that my problem is that I let too many years of data pile up without archiving and starting a new file. Is this correct? Where is this procedure documented. Great way to reward you long-time loyal customers...

Answers

• rhinmass
    rhinmass Member
    Wanted to add this is Quicken Starter Edition Version R32.12 Build 27.1.32.12
    Windows 10 Home.
  • rhinmass
    rhinmass Member
    I manually cleared all the old transactions that had mysteriously became uncleared. (There were 40 of them.) Then I ran a reconciliation and entered a very large adjustment. Everything is in pretty good shape, but for how long? Will I have another surprise download in the future that modifies my old cleared transactions and keeps me up till 2am again? Will reconciling protect these transactions from getting corrupted in the future? Do I need to do the archive and start-a-new file that the quicken support rep told me to do?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @rhinmass

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. It sounds like the account has been giving you quite a bit of trouble. Ultimately it's up to you to decide what you'd like to do with the account and if you'd like to continue using it. I would recommend making sure that the account reconciles correctly each month or week depending on your preference. Additionally the next time you update as well if you're able to replicate the issue you're having we can also take a look at the connection itself potentially causing the issue.

The other option could be that we could try to download transactions from the bank as far back as they let us go from the website. FI's generally let you go back a couple of years but it varies by FI. This option likely won't go back as far as your history but could get a very good amount of transactions. 

Either option is available if you'd like. Ultimately the choice is up to you and what you'd feel more comfortable with. If you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    rhinmass said:
    I called quicken support and was told that my problem is that I let too many years of data pile up without archiving and starting a new file. Is this correct? Where is this procedure documented. Great way to reward you long-time loyal customers...
    This statement by Quicken support is garbage, and nothing more than a cop out for a problem they don't know how to deal with.

If you are switching from manual entry to downloading there is always going to be "overlap" and such that you have to resolve before going forward.  Here is an FAQ to help out on that:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7179327
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rhinmass
    rhinmass Member
    I had done what Francisco had suggested and downloaded all transactions from by bank which went back to Jan 2018. I cross referenced them with the quicken data and everything was accounted for. So the corruption must be in older transactions for which I don't have bank data. I was never able to find or fix the corrupted or deleted transanctions.

I was not switching from manual entry. I've always only downloaded the transactions. It's still a mystery where the problem was and why on that day, every time I reverted to the backup and did an update from the bank I got wildly different results.

Eventually I did a reconciliation and put in an $8k adjustment. Updates since then have gone fine. But it is unsettling to have my data corrupted this badly, and even having a good backup could not prevent it.

I had not been reconciling regularly, or at all actually, so maybe this left my transactions vulnerable to getting deleted. Hopefully reconciling occasionally will provide some protection against this in the future.

I'm still at a loss as to the mysterious archive-and-start-over-with-a-new-file procedure that the quicken support rep advised me to do. I hate to call out someone for not being able to do their job, but this was terrible, baseless advice. I called support in my hour of need and was completely blown off and told to do something that isn't even documented or recommended as far as I can tell.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just note that whereas the idea that you have to archive your data to "prevent corruption" is garbage, reconciling periodically is something that you should do if for no other reason than what you just stated, finding if something went wrong sooner.  Quicken reconcile calculates the starting/Cleared Balance by totaling up all the reconciled and cleared transactions in the register.  So if any transaction is changed in the whole history of the account the next reconcile will fail to balance.  And like you said you might not have the historical statements to reconcile to, so your only recourse would be to restore from a backup where you know it reconciled, and then download/enter transaction to bring it up to date.

Note that in general you can only download about 90 days of transactions, so you should certainly be reconciling more often than that.

Also to prove one way or another where the problem is one could un-reconcile all the transactions in the register, and then reconcile to the first date/balance that they do have.  If it doesn't reconcile you know the problem is before that date.

If you find that it does reconcile you can speed up the reconciling by splitting what's left to reconcile in half each time.
    So say you have 4 years of transactions to reconcile, you reconcile to about 2 years ago, if that fails you know the problem is between 4 and 2 years and you split again at 3 years back.  But if it does reconcile you split again at 1 year back.  And continue that.

But one thing to be aware of Quicken's reconcile "Cleared Balance" includes all reconciled transactions, even if they are after the ending date you have entered.  So for any given reconcile you have to make sure there isn't any reconciled transactions after that ending date for the reconcile.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S.  Just to clarify.  Quicken's reconcile totals up all the reconciled transactions even if they are after the ending date entered, but it doesn't include the cleared/uncleared transaction after the ending date entered.
    Signature: