Cancel a Payment

I paid a bill to a vendor using Check Pay. The Vendor returned the check to me with a note that their invoice was in error. Now I cannot Void or Delete the check. Quicken says I must first cancel the payment before I can change it. How do I cancel it, as HELP provides no instructions that can be followed?

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @JamesChristian and @jmerel

Thank you for the response and the additional details. Are you able to right-click on the check-in register and see if there is an option to cancel or void the payment?

If not, you will need to contact support directly to have this escalated to our service providers for correction. We do not have the necessary tools to resolve this issue in the Community.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Please let me know what you find.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni mod
    Hello @JamesChristian

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you navigate to the Bills & Income tab and select the link the "Last Payment" column, you will then be taken to the Payment Status screen.

Do you have an option to select "Cancel Payment" as shown in the image above?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • No, I do not have a "Cancel Payment" option. The window says, "Status Not Available"
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @JamesChristian

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here if we're able to fix the issue potentially by deleting the payment inside of the register. I'll leave an article down below explaining how to do so.

https://www.quicken.com/support/cannot-delete-online-payment-or-payee

Once you've had the chance let us know if you're able to delete and remake the payment.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Edit => Transaction => THERE IS NO CANCEL PAYMENT offered, When I void or delete the transaction the following messasge appears: “The Payment must be canceled before you can change it”
    This was a CheckPay item and not online.
    The bank account does not have the transaction sicne the check was not cashed by the vendor, but mailed to me. I destroyed it.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    @JamesChristian

Thanks for the update. In your case I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so, to have the matter looked at and hopefully fixed promptly. This will allow us to see exactly what's causing the issue you're having. I'll leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

• chute
    chute Member
    I have exactly the same problem. Payee returned the check, I now want to VOID it and cannot without "canceling". Checkpay already sent the check (which was returned) so canceling the payment is not really what a want to do. quicken has to allow us to void or delete transactions, even those made with checkpay. Not sure what a support session would do other than establish these issues.
  • chute
    chute Member
    BTW, the Payment status window does show, but not surprisingly does not offer a "Cancel Payment" option since the check has already been sent.
  • Thank you chute. Perhaps someone will explain how to void this transaction since I find nothing that allows me to CANCEL it. There seem to be so many other problems with online and check payments as well, I wonder if Quick Books works better?
  • jmerel
    jmerel Member
    I am having the exact same problem. I haven't been able for find any answers in any HELP entries.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @JamesChristian and @jmerel

Thank you for the response and the additional details. Are you able to right-click on the check-in register and see if there is an option to cancel or void the payment?

If not, you will need to contact support directly to have this escalated to our service providers for correction. We do not have the necessary tools to resolve this issue in the Community.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Please let me know what you find.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    I came here with the same problem. Vendor returned the check and I just need to void it. There is no cancel option anywhere. Is there any resolution to this?
  • PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    Is there any workaround to this? Has it been escalated? I have no way to zero out this transaction
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PeterK said:
    I came here with the same problem. Vendor returned the check and I just need to void it. There is no cancel option anywhere. Is there any resolution to this?

Let me see if I understand you correctly:
    • You made a Check Pay payment for a vendor.
    • The paper check was made out in your name, with your bank account and bank name on it.
    • The bank never took the money out of your account. Some Check Pay systems take the money out of your account, put it into a holding account and then draw the paper check against this holding account.
    • The paper check was mailed, processed by the vendor and physically returned to you.
    Am I correct so far?
    The online transaction, as far as Check Pay is concerned was correctly completed.
    That there's no "Void" option available ... well, IMHO, there should be ... maybe someone at Quicken can discuss this with the programmers
    If you want to fix your account, you may want to try a reversal transaction, to deposit the money back into your account register as a local transaction (not an online one), to get your balance back. For example,
    Date = date of check transaction, Payee = vendor name, Category = category used by the check transaction, Amount = Deposit of check amount