Corrupted categories bug

pureharm
pureharm Windows Beta, Canada Beta Beta

Every time there is an update, or a reinstall, QW creates its own vacation category "Vacation:Vacation", and or sometimes it shows up as Vacation2.  Per the screen shot, many moons ago I created subcategories of my own as shown in the screen shot.  If I delete the vacation:vacation, and or Vacation2 category, then everything looks fine, until I do a OSU for quicken cloud, at which point all but one of  my sub categories disappear leaving 100's of transactions uncategorized.

 

validate prior or post does not detect any db inconsistencies.

 

Very weird indeed, and this has been a problem for at least the last 2-3 years.

 

I have attached screen shots.

Steps to Reproduce.

open qw and look at categories, filter for "vacation"

delete Vacation:Vacation

Run OSU

open categories again

 

 

This is STILL a problem several builds later, and I would really appreciate someone taking a look at it.    I think it may have something to do with making a copy of a file for testing/sandbox and that file syncing to quicken cloud, then syncing again with production.  Either that, or as I suggested earlier with build updates, which I notice also puts back many unused categories I've previously deleted.   I also created a category called "Holiday" some time ago in an effort to eliminate "Vacation" thinking it was just a problem with that category.  I moved all subs to holiday.   The problem still happened, but with "Holiday:Holiday", and that "Holiday:Holiday" still comes back each time the "Vacation:Vacation" one does.   This just happened a couple of days ago, and in addition to those two, there was "Sick Pay:Sick Pay" which I have NEVER used for anything.  Again, it would be MARVELOUS to have a database editor so I could look in the tables directly to see where the cobwebs are.   Seems like a messed up index in a table, or more likely all these "categories" are kept in a table, even after deleted, and flagged with a field that makes them active or not.  There is likely duplicate entries in the table in this case.   Let me know if you need anything else.  I will def upload my current file the next time it happens.   The ones I did upload on this report do have the problem though.  Thank you .

 

 

This is still going on.  I had a thought it might be related to syncing with quicken web, but I completely disabled this since the last time this bug happened, and it still happened regardless.  I figure it happens after small incremental updates.   Its a HUGE pain, and I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this.   When I try to rename/delete vacation:vacation it wipes out ALL my transactions that are categorized under my existing vacation category and all subs under that.   I would really appreciate someone looking into this.  Thanks.


Comments

  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

    Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

    If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file. And it is suspected of messing up your data file under certain conditions (looks to me like your situation is one of them)

    If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

    Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

    How to reset Sync to Cloud

    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

    How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

This discussion has been closed.