Quicken Canada Subscription Release Notes once again need to be updated when a new release drops

The https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes page, under the section Quicken Canada Subscription Release Notes, hasn't been updated to reflect the recently released Version R32.10 (April 2021).

I've raised this issue many times previously, but once again my Quicken Canada version asks if I want to update to a new version, but I cannot find any information about what the update contains on the Quicken website. It is only after I agree to update that Quicken displays a window with 'What's new'. That's a bit late in the process.

Comments

• Peculiar_Investor
    Peculiar_Investor Member ✭✭
    I'll save others some searching. Here is what's new in Version R32.10 (April, 2021)

IMPORTANT :
    Before you take this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud and also make a backup of your data file.
    Version R32.10 (April, 2021)
    What's new

• Added a QR code that can be scanned to help download Quicken Mobile. Also added instructions and additional information about Quicken Mobile.
    • Made improvements to investment tools in Quicken Premier and above.
    • Added the ability to define custom asset classes, in addition to the asset classes that are predefined in Quicken.
    • Added ability to create ten more customized Portfolio views, for a total of nineteen Portfolio views.
    • The Add Account screens have been improved to make the process of linking accounts to financial institutions easier. The new design emphasizes that users add accounts by financial institution rather than account type. For example, a user may have several accounts (chequing, savings, credit card, etc.) with the same institution and those can be added via a single search rather than searching for each account type separately. The improved process also uses tabs to delineate adding connected accounts from adding offline accounts or other assets and liabilities. As before, you can add an account by selecting the + icon on your Account Bar. Quicken Home & Business users will see an additional tab with business options. We've also improved the financial institution search. As part of this process, the search results page was redesigned to make results more informative and the popular financial institutions list includes a greater variety of financial services.
    • Added new feature, Simple Investing. With Simple Investing, Quicken only keeps track of the positions (number of shares for each security) over time, and your cash balances. Quicken’s tracking is based on information provided by your broker. You portfolio value, net worth, and investment returns over time will be available, but Quicken will not be able to calculate capital gains and losses or investment income. Quicken will display an account summary rather than an investment transaction register when the account is selected.
    • When you add a category to a transaction, Quicken now gives you the option to update past transactions for the same payee.
    Improvements

• To decrease the chances of losing data, the active customer data file will now be now backed up automatically before an update is installed.
    • Improved CTRL+F search by adding a register preference to choose a default of either Any Field or Currently Selected Field. This preference will be maintained for subsequent searches.
    • Modernized look and feel of register filters. Setup preferences now includes the preference Use new subscriber settings for new files, accounts, features.
    • Updates to look and feel of some menu elements.
    • Updated and fixed issues with process for resolving lost data file passwords.
    • Updated online text for Account list and Account details screens.
    • Cloud synchronization has improved error handling and transaction processing.
    • Added the Contact Quicken Support menu item under Help.
    • Added a Release Notes menu item to the Help menu. Use Release Notes to view information about the latest release and to go to the Update screen if you are not on the current version of Quicken.
    • Added a Support button to the toolbar as a default for new users. Selecting the Support button opens the Contact Support web page.
    • Added a Quicken on the Web button to the toolbar. Selecting the button will open the web version of Quicken.
    • Added flyover security price information to the “Top Movers” section of the Investment Dashboard.
    • Added a Select option to the Investments register so multiple entries can be modified as a group. To use this feature, select the gear icon and choose Edit multiple transactions. Use the check box in the Select column for each item you want to edit, then choose one of the options at the bottom of the screen.
    • For bill tracking commands, changed term Ignore to Skip.
    • Added the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+X for the command Go To matching transfer. This is used only when a transfer is selected.
    • For users of our investment level products, changes made to Register preferences, appearance, and fonts will now apply to both the banking Register and the investment Register.
    • Added verification process for email addresses used when sending reports. This also applies to invoices sent by Quicken Home & Business users.
    What's fixed

• Issues with entering dates and terms in the register search.
    • Issue with One Step Update requesting passwords when user stores passwords for some but not all financial institutions.
    • Resolved a crash that occurred during patch downloads.
    • Resolved an issue in which the application crashed during One Step Update when the user was syncing with Quicken Cloud Services (Mobile & Web).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The release is currently in "staged release/paused".  When it is released to everyone, they should update this page:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Claude Blouin
    Claude Blouin Member ✭✭✭
    Is this release (32.10) really a Quicken CANADA release ? The last one was 28.15
    Using Quicken Deluxe Canada 2020 Subscription Release R32.10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Signature:
  • rickpwilson
    rickpwilson Member ✭✭
    Has quicken changed the revision numbering scheme? My current release is 28.15. The new release is labeled 32.10 which is the US version.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    Has quicken changed the revision numbering scheme? My current release is 28.15. The new release is labeled 32.10 which is the US version.
    Normally I think they try to keep the version numbers different to avoid confusion, but for some reason they reused the same one that the US version is (not very good really!).  But you will notice that since the start of Quicken subscription they haven’t really given the Canadian versions the own set of numbers.  If you look at the old version numbers Quicken US had 28.10, 28.16, 28.18, 28.23, 28.24, and 28.28.

EDIT, just to be clear even though the version numbers are the same you can be sure these are completely different releases between the US one and the Canadian one.
    Signature:
  • Peculiar_Investor
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The release is currently in "staged release/paused".  When it is released to everyone, they should update this page:
    > Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

That makes no sense to me. Why should users like myself that are offered the update have no means to check what's new and changed? Take it on blind faith? Sorry but that's not how I operate, as with most things, trust but verify.
  • Peculiar_Investor
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Looks like people missed this announcement:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7892730/windows-canada-r32-xx-release

Yes I missed it. If I had seen the announcement that would have been helpful. But I don't follow this community on a day to day basis. I suspect a significant percentage of Quicken users don't use this community but some subset do periodically check the https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes page.

US versions seem to update regularly (monthly) but Canada versions don't seem to have a pattern, so as a Canada subscriber who knows when to expect the next update. I thought one of the main points of switching to a subscription service was 'regular' maintenance updates. That seems to be the case in the US but clearly not for Canadian subscribers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The release is currently in "staged release/paused".  When it is released to everyone, they should update this page:
    > Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

That makes no sense to me. Why should users like myself that are offered the update have no means to check what's new and changed? Take it on blind faith? Sorry but that's not how I operate, as with most things, trust but verify.
    When you got the update there should have been a "What's in the release" link/button.  If that wasn't there it is certainly wrong.

I personally do think there is another problem with how they do this.  I think there should be a warning that this is a staged release that the person is getting, so that they understand that ramification.  But I don't have any say in this and clearly Quicken Inc feels differently.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    US versions seem to update regularly (monthly) but Canada versions don't seem to have a pattern, so as a Canada subscriber who knows when to expect the next update. I thought one of the main points of switching to a subscription service was 'regular' maintenance updates. That seems to be the case in the US but clearly not for Canadian subscribers.
    I personally think that Quicken Inc (and Intuit before them) treat the Canadian users like (Oh do we really have to support them!)

As in they would have like to cutoff the support long ago like they did for all the other countries, but because the code was "in house/a branch" and the support has been there almost from the beginning they don't feel that they can do that.

As I understand it there isn't an Canadian development team, and the code is on a branch.  So what is going on is that every once in a while when the think they can "pause some of the US work" they then put some developer(s) to work on porting over changes that they think might apply (and MAYBE fix some problems that are Canadian only).  So the "timing" has more to do with when they feel that the US side is "stable" and has a good amount of changes for the Canadian side.

This does have its pluses and minuses.  Clearly the minus is the long waits for an update.  On the plus side it really isn't any fun going through three patch releases in two weeks because there is some major problem with what they released that has to be fixed right away.  In a way you might say that the US users are the beta testers for the Canadian users.
    Signature: