QWin on Mac (Parallels) - Will Not Load Data File - Thinks It Is Remote File

I am a Quicken Window user since 1995. I use this version on Paralells on a MAC. As of yesterday Quicken will not load my data file. I says it is a remote (IE Dropbox, Google Drive) version and will not load it. It is not. It is in the documents folder on my MAC.

Yesterday I tried to restore a backup and it wouldn't even accept my password. I finally got around this by copying my data file and giving it a new name. Now today it will not accept this new file. Am I going to have to do this daily. Ridiculous

What is Quicken doing here? How to I stop this?

[Removed - Rant]

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this Documents folder accessed? Using a Windows drive letter (E:\Documents\...) or using network syntax (\\servername\...)? Check the drive mapping in Windows and Parallels. Quicken does not support network-mapped drives.
    Alternatively, move the Quicken data file to the Windows C: - drive, C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken. Change Quicken Preferences settings to create a Manual Backup every time you close Quicken and send this backup file to the Mac documents folder
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    I don't really understand exactly what is going on here.  Yes, Quicken will "warn" you not to use a network drive, but it shouldn't prevent the loading of a data file because of it.  Because of the way Parallels is going to be mounting the Mac's drive I can certainly see Quicken detecting that as a "network drive", but here is what I get when I use a share and Quicken detects it as a network drive:

I can just select "Don't show this message again" and then Continue.

What are you seeing?  (A screenshot would help)

EDIT I'm not on a Mac so that might be different, but above is what should happen for when Quicken "detects the data file on a network drive.".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trying moving the Quicken file under Microsoft OneDrive. That is how I access my version with Parallels and I get no warning.
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭
    edited April 26
    Hello UKR
    It is mapped as a drive letter from Windows to the MAC. Not as a network share

I already had to move these files from Google Drive, where I encrypted it myself before uploading (Boxcryptor/my encryption key), to my MAC Documents folder which is backed up in the Cloud (Apple/their encryption key) since Quicken would not open it due to this restriction. Maybe 6-9 mos ago. This is bad because my financial data now is subject to hacking Apple servers.
    Now Quicken does not appear to like any file uploaded to the Apple Cloud.

In all cases you are accessing a local file and it is just being backed up in some cloud so this stance by Quicken is ridiculous

Hi Chris_QPW
    When I selected Don't show this again/Continue Quicken created a brand new file in my Quicken directory. When I mapped to it all I could see was this new file (no other Quicken files). When I restored from a backup from DropBox it would not accept my password/would not open.
    The only way around this I found was copying my Quicken file to a new name. At that point it opened.

One thing I am noticing today is any file without the Cloud logo on it is available to me/the others aren't (see attached). Quicken11 is the file I can currently access. If I go File Open I can only see that file although others are there. However I'm sure once this fule is uploaded I won't be able to access it

Hi jfclague - why would OneDrive be fine but Google Drive/Apple Cloud not be?

Thank you guys
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In all cases you are accessing a local file and it is just being backed up in some cloud so this stance by Quicken is ridiculous
    Quicken can't tell the difference, and it is only a warning.
    There has always been a policy that Quicken data files shouldn't be stored on a network drive.
    Well recently someone decided that maybe they should warn people "in the program" and as such they went looking for a way to detect a "network drive".  The thing is that Windows will report any "share" as a "network drive".  They aren't taking the trouble to find out if that share is in fact on the same machine.

OK not a perfect way to detect this, granted, but that warning isn't what is stopping you from opening your data file.

And unfortunately that is about all I can say on the subject because whatever the problem is, it is going to be related to how Parallels works on a Mac, which I know nothing about.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭
    edited May 8
    Hello - thanks for the replies
    This is much more than a warning. It literally won't see the file it if it thinks it is a cloud file.
    Again the files are all locally stored. Whether or not it is backed up to some cloud should have no bearing on this or how Quicken should handle it.
    If Quicken for MAC was as good as Quicken for Windows (another issue) I wouldn't need Parallels.

Another in a long line of questionable Quicken decisions that make life difficult for their customers

And I won't get started on Quicken requiring 2-factor app authentication in One Step Updates. Luckily at this time I only have 1 site with an authenticator app but I plan to use many more as they become avail for security reasons.
    But to have a Quicken password, a One Step Update password and then require a 2-factor entry on every account every time you update is truly a mind numbing decision by Quicken.

[Removed - Speculation/Rant]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "locally stored" on your internal Mac drive doesn't matter. You're running a virtual environment with Parallels, so to Windows, your mapped Mac-documents drive is, in effect, a network drive, even though they are sitting side by side on the same physical hard drive.
    I repeat my earlier suggestion, move the Quicken data file to the Windows C: - drive, C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken.
    And I add, configure the Quicken Backup settings in Edit / Preferences to create a Manual Backup every [1] times you close Quicken and direct it to a \Quicken\Backup folder on your mapped Mac-documents drive. That should solve your problems.