why can't I download data for 2 separate fidelity 401k accounts at the same time?

I have 2 401k accounts both at fidelity and 2 roth's at capital group buyt quicken only allows me to have one account at each of those places to be activated for online downloading. if i want to down load data for the other account I have to deactivate the one account and reactivate the other one and vice versa.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @am7315,

Are the accounts in the same "name"  - i.e. are they owned by the same person or 2 different people?  Are the "usernames" that have been setup with Fidelity the same or different?  What error code are you getting when you try to update both accounts at once?  Are you using One Step Update or are you downloading through the account register?

Get back to me and we'll go from there?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are both of those 401k accounts with the same employer?  Do you own both, or perhaps, does your spouse own one?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • am7315
    am7315 Member ✭✭
    Yes both 401ks are with the same employer. The accounts are under each of our names respectively. I also have this issue with our Roth IRA accounts.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @am7315,

There are some questions that you didn't answer:

1) Is the "username" the same for the both accounts at each financial institution, or do you have separate and distinct user names - one for you and another for your spouse?

2) What error code (or codes) or messages do you get from Quicken when the downloads fail?

3) When you try to update the accounts - are you using "One Step Update" or do you try to update these accounts one at a time from the account register instead?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• am7315
    am7315 Member ✭✭
    Answers to questions.
    1. I have 2 distinct usernames at my brokerage. This also happens with another brokerage two distinct accounts but will only download one and at times its the wrong info. If i do get an error code its ol-362-a
    2. I don't necessarily get a error code it just that it only downloads one account even though both are setup for online services.
    3. I tried downloading accounts both ways still same issue.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI again @am7315

You said "and at times its the wrong info" - that is likely because you indicated that you "deactivate the one account and reactivate the other one and vice versa".  I've actually never heard of anyone doing that more than one time, and it is very likely contributing to your problems rather than helping. I would strongly suggest that you stop doing that.  Keep in mind that each account within Quicken should stand on its own and, if properly setup, one account should never affect the ability to download transactions from any other account.

Otherwise, I am also not sure I understand all that you've told us above.  For example, you said "it just that it only downloads one account even though both are setup for online services." - this could be some type of error, or it very well could be that there are no current transactions to be downloaded.

Just to make absolutely sure that I understand how these are setup - can you confirm that there are 4 separate and distinct Quicken accounts in your data file?  Quicken clearly permits having more than one "connected account" at a particular financial institution, so you should be able to download transactions from each of the 4 accounts.  I strongly suspect that the problems lie with how you've setup these accounts in Quicken. 

You might want to contact Quicken Support so that they can work with you directly to determine what is wrong with your setup.  Otherwise I can only suggest that you consider disconnecting all accounts and then - one at a time - you connect each account separately from the others, and take care that you select the correct account when that screen is presented during Quicken's new account connection process.

Let us know how you make out.

Frankx

• am7315
    am7315 Member ✭✭
    I will give Quicken Support a call. But to be clear I’ve deleted the accounts numerous times added them back individually one at a time set him up for online services and when I go to download my transactions only one of the Roth IRA‘s downloads the other doesn’t only one of the 401(k) account downloads