Last download date is inaccurate

Once a week I do a bulk update of all accounts that can be updated. I do get the latest transactions, however the last download date is an old date, not today. I can fix this by individually opening each account and then click "update transactions."

So the problem seems to be with the bulk update process pulling in the new transactions but not updating the last download date en masse.

This has proven true for different bank accounts but not every single one. Capital One Bank and Bank of the West have the issue as does Barclay cards but other brokers or banks don't.

Answers

  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 25
    Hello @Jeffrey Wilens,

    Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

    First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not this is caused by an issue within your current data file.

    Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to add an account you are experiencing this issue with in your original file.

    After adding an account, see if you experience the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

    Follow the steps below to switch files:

    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 


    Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

    Let us know how it goes!

    -Quicken Anja
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect what you're experiencing is considered normal behavior when using the Express Web Connect connection method: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    I suspect what you're experiencing is considered normal behavior when using the Express Web Connect connection method: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    I believe there is more to this than just that.

    I'm seeing a more "can't reconcile" complaints, with some of them being that they start a reconcile to the online balance and are told that their aren't any unreconciled transactions because the online balance date is in the past.  So  they are getting transactions, but not the updated online balance/date.  Clearly if they are getting transactions they should also be getting a current online balance/date.

    This seems to be a problem caused by switching to the QCS connection method.
    Here is a recent thread with this problem:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20175541
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Sherlock said:
    I suspect what you're experiencing is considered normal behavior when using the Express Web Connect connection method: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    I believe there is more to this than just that.

    I'm seeing a more "can't reconcile" complaints, with some of them being that they start a reconcile to the online balance and are told that their aren't any unreconciled transactions because the online balance date is in the past.  So  they are getting transactions, but not the updated online balance/date.  Clearly if they are getting transactions they should also be getting a current online balance/date.

    This seems to be a problem caused by switching to the QCS connection method.
    Here is a recent thread with this problem:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20175541
    In my experience, the online balance and date has always been unreliable.  Regarding reconciling, I suggest reconciling using a statement obtained from the financial institution. 

    I certainly don't think Quicken decision to switch from FDS to QCS a year ago improved Express Web Connect.  Sticking yet another point of failure in an unreliable system is rarely a good thing.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the online balance/date can be unreliable, but I think it is even more so with the new QCS connection.

    Personally I only have one Express Web Connect account setup and it is with FDS I Macy’s credit card (and when that goes away I will go to manual entry for it.  I can’t close it because my Wife likes the discounts, but it is a low activity account.  And who knows I might even get her to do the entries.   ;) ).  Anyways I have no problem reconciling that one to the online balance.  And my Direct Connect Chase credit cards, savings account, Cit Cards/Costco credit card, and my USAA checking and savings accounts all reconcile to online balances with no problems at all.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I agree that the online balance/date can be unreliable, but I think it is even more so with the new QCS connection.

    Personally I only have one Express Web Connect account setup and it is with FDS I Macy’s credit card (and when that goes away I will go to manual entry for it.  I can’t close it because my Wife likes the discounts, but it is a low activity account.  And who knows I might even get her to do the entries.   ;) ).  Anyways I have no problem reconciling that one to the online balance.  And my Direct Connect Chase credit cards, savings account, Cit Cards/Costco credit card, and my USAA checking and savings accounts all reconcile to online balances with no problems at all.
    For any accounts we have that don't support Direct Connect, we use Web Connect.  We only have one active account that doesn't support Direct Connect that we download daily For the other accounts that don't support Direct Connect, we usually only download once a month.  We only reconcile once a month to statements obtained from our financial institutions.


  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the Macy's credit card doesn't support Web Connect.  And that goes for the Synchrony Bank savings account, but that one is mostly just one interest payment so I do it manually.

    In general what see is a "pure Express Web Connect" accounts almost never supports Web Connect.
    As in why would a financial institution go to the trouble of generating such a file when they have already made an agreement with Intuit to download transactions in a different form like say CSV?

    Once I loose the FDS connection, I might consider converting the CSV file to QIF (or maybe even QFX) and import it that way.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Unfortunately the Macy's credit card doesn't support Web Connect.  And that goes for the Synchrony Bank savings account, but that one is mostly just one interest payment so I do it manually.

    In general what see is a "pure Express Web Connect" accounts almost never supports Web Connect.
    As in why would a financial institution go to the trouble of generating such a file when they have already made an agreement with Intuit to download transactions in a different form like say CSV?

    Once I loose the FDS connection, I might consider converting the CSV file to QIF (or maybe even QFX) and import it that way.
    And yet right now 5506 financial institutions that do not support Direct Connect support both Express Web Connect and Web Connect.  Note: QFX is mostly OFX and Intuit or the financial institution's service provider may charge the financial institution significantly more for the Direct Connect server.

    Regarding Macy's, you may want to consider using an American Express Blue Cash Preferred instead.
  • Jeffrey Wilens
    Jeffrey Wilens Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suspect what you're experiencing is considered normal behavior when using the Express Web Connect connection method: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

    That's right. Today after bulk import, the accounts that use Express Web Connection including Capital One Bank, Bank of the West and SFGI Direct bank all show last download last week. The accounts that use Direct Connect (like American Express, Chase Bank and Ameritrade) show the correct last download date.
Sign In or Register to comment.