Quicken 2016 Deluxe not opening

When I go to open Quicken 2016 Deluxe, it starts to open then suddenly stops with a flash. I did some online checking for solutions and don't find the qw.exe file. I've had this program a number of years, originally downloaded from Quicken, so I don't have any way to reinstall. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to fix this, or am I just stuck buying a new subscription version?
Thanks in advance to any and all for your help!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stops with a flash?

First, lets determine if you're able to launch Quicken without a Quicken file.  To do this, press and hold the Ctrl key when you open Quicken.

If the program does not start or appear in the task bar, the installation is corrupt.  If, as you've said, you don't have the Quicken 2016 installation program, you could still try downloading and applying the Quicken 2016 Release 19.5 Mondo patch from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

If the program does appear in the task bar, hover the mouse cursor over the Quicken icon until the mini-view window appears. Then, right-click on the mini-view window and select Restore or Maximize.

If the program opens, the next step is to attempt to open the Quicken file.  There are few ways you can do that.  One way is to press Alt + F and then 1.  

If the Quicken program terminates when you open the Quicken file, the Quicken file is corrupt.  I suggest restoring a good recent backup of the Quicken file.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • chrisnn
    chrisnn Member
    Thanks Sherlock, I appreciate your input very much.
    By a flash, I mean a quick flash of a gray screen after the Quicken logo window pops up when trying to open. I'll double click on the icon to start Quicken, the logo box pops up as usually happens when the program starts to load, then the quick "flash" and nothing. No mini-view in the task bar and trying the Ctrl key when opening does nothing. I've had this program installed a number of years and never had any issues until several months ago. what started happening is when I would open it, I would get an error message about not being able to connect to Quicken (I don't use any of the online services). That would close and I could try again to open, with no trouble. Yesterday was the first time I could not get it to open at all. Best I can figure, something got corrupted, maybe the exe file? I do use anti-virus and anti-malware on my PC. Wish there was a way to reinstall. It may not be fixable, but any suggestions are appreciated.