Why doesn't Quicken recognize my internet connection - PDANET tether from my phone?

I use PDANET to tether my phone to my computer for internet service.

How do I get Quicken to recognize it as my internet connection?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please check this:
    Ensure that TLS 1.2 is enabled in Control Panel / Internet Options.
    In Windows Control Panel select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
    Click Apply.
    Click the Content tab.
    Click the "Clear SSL State" button under Certificates.
    Click Apply, then OK.
    Close IE. Close and restart Quicken.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30
    I use PDANET to tether my phone to my computer for internet service.
    What exactly are you doing ?
    Are you creating a local WiFi hotspot from your phone -
    or using a USB cable to wire them together ?
    If Win10 - what icons are showing on the bottom task bar ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    The TLS  options for 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 were already checked.  I checked 1.3.  Then cleared the SSL Cache.

No change.  Quicken still doesn't recognize the internet connection.
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    t's a USB cable connection.

There are two icons in the task bar: One showing PDANET connected USB; the other (a square version of
    the Internet Connection Icon) show PDANET broadband connection Internet Access.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the connection error message, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    Here are the printscreens.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this before -
    where whatever internal software routine or API Quicken is using the Checking The Internet -
    is not recognizing these kind of USB wired tethered adapter solutions....
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30
    Just curious -
    wonder if you open (right click on Internet icon on toolbar) the Windows "Open Network & Internet Settings" -
    what you see as you walk down the left side and review each of the displays ?
    Trying to see where or how your PDANET shows up in this area - or maybe it doesnt -

• Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure what you wanted me to see by "what you see as you walk down the left side and review each of the displays ?".

I attached a copy of my connections page if it might help.
  • rempe54
    rempe54 Member
    I also have this issue when trying to do a one-step update using PdaNet. Has anyone come up with a solution?
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    I received a couple of user suggestions but none solved the problem.

No responses from Quicken.
  • rempe54
    rempe54 Member
    Rob, somehow I was able to fix this last year but, I'll be darned if I can remember how. At least, I know it can be done! My guess is that it got switched back during some software update? If I can find a solution, I will certainly record it and post it back here.
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I look forward to hearing your solution.
  • rempe54
    rempe54 Member
    For years I have successfully used the PdaNet app with Quicken on various laptops. I can still use it with my older Asus but not on my year-old Dell. Quicken is the only program that will not recognize the PdaNet internet connection. I just got off the phone after spending a considerable amount of time with a Quicken rep. She was unable to resolve it but, told me that this issue will be reported. However, she couldn't say that they would ever address this or get back to me if they did. Frustrating customer service in light of having to pay the yearly fee for what we were told would be for improvements in that area.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    On a practical level I think you have to understand something.  Quicken Inc isn't in the "network business".

As in Quicken calls Windows functions that connect it to your network connection.  It doesn't do different things for different kinds of network connections.  That is left up to the low level routines.  Now it is quite possible that Quicken is using some old Windows functions which somehow don't recognize your network.

But the chances of Quicken developers tracing back and changing how they make the network connection based on the fact that only PdaNet doesn't work (and only on some machines) is lightly unlikely.

In other words, Quicken Inc provides support for their product, not for the whole Windows system.  Sure there is some overlap, especially in a case where it is only Quicken showing a given problem.  But at its core your network connection shouldn't "look different" to Quicken, and as such it is as much (or one might say is even more) a PdaNet problem as it is a Quicken problem, no matter if other applications have the problem or not.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18
    Rob Silver said:  I attached a copy of my connections page if it might help.
    just adding instream images for the 2 "connected" network entries you are using -
    Wonder why your Windows Connections shows two "connected" entries - your PDANET and also your Intel WiFi card ?

• Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    Chris, I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your "tail wagging the dog" response! I run dozens of programs of all types and myriad vendors. Only Quicken fails to recognize PdaNet as a valid internet connection. I also have no sympathy for Quicken not fixing a flawed product when they are forcing us to pay an annual fee to put up with these flaws. If you are knowingly not using the latest interfaces to core programs, update them! Don't expect other vendors to provide work-arounds for your errors.

Does anyone know what changes were made to rempe54's machine to make PdaNet work?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18
    It would appear that PDANET is used to tether to an Android phone and create a local WiFi hotspot -
    and I'm guessing also appear as a local hardwired Internet connect....
    SO... if PDANET is using your Android phone, with it's downloaded APP -
    and it can create a "connection" - why not just use your phone as a native WiFi hotspot ?
    It would be nice to have all the details of this special connection, and all the bits being used -
    ---

What does PDA Net do?
    PdaNet (current version: 3.50) is designed to turn an Android device into a personal Wi-Fi hotspot when combined with the free download FoxFi program and without having to root your device. The app also promises to get you online via a Bluetooth DUN connection to your smartphone.Apr 4, 2012

Does PdaNet really hide tethering?
    PDANet hides tethering by changing the user agent of every HTTP request passed through, and also blocking OS-specific ports and features (Windows Update, Mac App Store, etc). This in turn has the smartphone route each request, and then replicate the data back to the device.

• Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    PDANet presents as a hardwire connection, which is why I can have two connections showing up. My cellular plan with T-Mobile has a limit on "Shared Hotspot Data". That is why I go with PDANet's USB tethering & "Hide Tethered Usage".
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris, I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your "tail wagging the dog" response! I run dozens of programs of all types and myriad vendors. Only Quicken fails to recognize PdaNet as a valid internet connection. I also have no sympathy for Quicken not fixing a flawed product when they are forcing us to pay an annual fee to put up with these flaws. If you are knowingly not using the latest interfaces to core programs, update them! Don't expect other vendors to provide work-arounds for your errors.

Does anyone know what changes were made to rempe54's machine to make PdaNet work?
    I think you misunderstood what my point is.  Basically it is that it is highly unlikely that Quicken Inc is going to do anything about this problem given the few number of people impacted, and the amount of time/work it would take to resolve it.  It is going to be in your camp to fix it, or just not use Quicken.

That is what I mean on a "practical level".  You can "expect" anything you like, but I would be extremely surprised if that changes Quicken Inc's position on it in the slightest.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Ps56k2 I believe the key part of why not just using tethering is in this statement "It also does not require a tether plan, that will save you $20/month from most carriers."

As in some carriers will detect that you are tethering and charge for that.  So this is basically about saving money by bypassing their carrier's policy.

Basically you have the people that don't want to pay for WiFi and instead just use their phone services.  On the other hand you have the phone services don't really want to support such services on their limited bandwidth cell towers, or at least they want to charge more for it.
    Signature:
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    We live full time in a motor home so paying for Wi-Fi is not a great option. It's either satellite or cell phone.
    I already pay for the maximum number of shared data gigs I can, but if we watch any amount of streamed content I will blow buy that limit way before the end of the month. Hence the need for PDANet to hide some of the reporting.
  • rempe54
    rempe54 Member
    Rob, we also have full-time RVed in our motor home. I've successfully used PdaNet with Quicken downloads for years with no issues. Like you, there are situations where tethering is our only access to the net. Not trying to beat the system. Just can't understand what Quicken did to their program that I can no longer use it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I see has never been asked, do you know what version of Quicken this broke in?
    Also have you tried installing an older Mondo patch to take your version back before that version so that you can at least confirm that is what broke it?

You can get older versions from my website:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One more thought based on this statement:
    but if we watch any amount of streamed content I will blow buy that limit way before the end of the month. Hence the need for PDANet to hide some of the reporting.
    Why not switch to tethering to use Quicken, and switch back for all other usage?
    Sure its not ideal, but in fact Quicken really shouldn't be transferring much data as long as your not trying to sync to Mobile/Web (and even then I don't think it is too much).
    Signature:
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    I've only been using PDANet for a few months. I went back and installed patches from a few months before I started PDANet and none of them worked.

I do logon to another network when I need to download transactions or other data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've only been using PDANet for a few months. I went back and installed patches from a few months before I started PDANet and none of them worked.
    I had a feeling that would be the case.  So in fact it isn't a change in Quicken.  Given that, and both of you have the same problem at the same time, I suspect they changed something on the Quicken servers.

One thing that is been popping up lately is people having problems using VPN.  Changes for security reasons like financial institutions blocking IP addresses from foreign countries or other security measures can impact such things.
    Signature:
  • Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    I just tried to update with my VPN disconnected and that didn't make a difference. For some reason, when the no internet message came up, I just hit Ignore twice. Imagine how foolish and embarrassed I felt when the darn program went and updated perfectly. I tried it a few more times on different accounts. Sometimes it worked with 2 ignores, sometimes just 1. I have no idea what is going on but "If it ain't fixed, don't break it" (which makes as much sense as what Quicken is doing).
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Can Microsoft Edge, see and connect to the Internet through PDANet?

Can Google Chrome or Firefox?

As long as the Browsers can, then Quicken should be able to.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R33.24  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21390.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1052

Note: Holding Down the Shift Key or Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when clicking About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Rob Silver
    Rob Silver Member ✭✭
    PDANet does work with all of those browsers which is why I was surprised by Quicken's rejection. Now I know that Quicken will work if I ignore it's false error messages