Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

The Water Cooler is a space for the community to discuss things other than Quicken and get to know each other better.

The ice breaker today is:

Please comment and share your experiences below!
~~~***~~~

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm ... "Put brain in gear BEFORE you open your mouth."
    and 2nd: "Don't assume that it will work, because that makes an **** out of yoU and ME." said my boss once after I messed up a simple computer configuration change without having prepared a fallback option.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    A junior, and not very skilled, programmer once tried that "assume" statement on  me.
    I asked her if she ASSUMED that she had a job tomorrow.
    She quit shortly thereafter.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    From a boss a long time ago: "It is tough enough trying to keep the truth straight, adding lies to it makes it even harder."
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    @UKR

I've learned to have a backup the hard way when it comes to a majority of computer troubleshooting. My wallet also has had to pay for it on occasion too.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3
    Carpenters used to use the expression "Measure twice, cut once".  I think that can be used in a lot of aspects of our lives... agreed?
    Current Windows 10, Current Qkn Deluxe Win Subscription, Sync turned OFF
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is not an act but a habit" ... Aristotle.   (IBM preached this to all it's employees)
    Current Windows 10, Current Qkn Deluxe Win Subscription, Sync turned OFF
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3
    Favorite advice by a former boss: When in doubt, dress up.
    Favorite quote by a former boss: They say location, location, location - I say backup, backup, backup in three locations!
    Favorite quote: Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. (Erastus Wiman)
    Why is it called common sense when it is so rare?
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 20H2
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Be brief, or be brilliant.
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭
    If u can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For the life of me, I can't remember any "best piece of advise" given to me.
    Maybe I just wasn't listening.   :)
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Micawber Principle, from David Copperfield:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    - "The best mistakes are the ones we repeat over and over again." --- Unknown

• The Hollow Stoat
    The Hollow Stoat Member ✭✭
    "Never put anything in your mouth unless it's been thoroughly boiled" — my Mother
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    I'm still waiting for my best piece of advice. In the meantime, my favorite aphorism is
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    I've gotten a lot of best advice over the years. What is best is based on what fits in the current context. 

But if I had to pick one it's my Dad's advice that you never know who your boss is going to be.  I've definitely had some unexpected people end up as my boss. Luckily it always turned out to be a good fit. Could definitely have gone the other way...
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one has always appealed to me:

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.”

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    The Micawber Principle, from David Copperfield:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

One may want to consider the fact that this advice dates back to the 1850s when the Pound Sterling was traded as a non-decimal currency. One pound was equal to 20 shillings (s), 1 shilling was equal to 12 pence (d), with the Farthing (1/4 penny) the smallest denomination.
    So we need to rewrite this quote to make it easier to read for modern readers:
    • Annual income £ 20, annual expenditure £19 19s 6d, result happiness.
    • Annual income £ 20, annual expenditure £20   0s 6d, result misery.
    In 1971 the Pound Sterling "went decimal", one pound = 100 pence and we need to rewrite it again:
    • Annual income £ 20.00, annual expenditure £19.97½, result happiness.
    • Annual income £ 20.00, annual expenditure £20.02½, result misery.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkins_Micawber

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait - Quicken doesn't support pounds, shillings, and pence as a currency?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    Wait - Quicken doesn't support pounds, shillings, and pence as a currency?
    Only if you can find a Quicken version that predates 1971.  :smiley:
    or one of these old adding machines
    Sterling Slide Adders
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A former professor once gave this advice to the class "Illegitimi non carborundum"  - basically "Don't let the bas...ds wear you down".

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭
    "Silence is your best friend, it'll never betray you."
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.19 on Windows 10)
  • Hendie
    Hendie Member
    "Best way to save money? Stay out of the stores!" Amazon included.
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭
    My mom always said "Never put all your eggs in one basket", a lesson she learned during the Great Depression, long before Jack Bogle. My investing and flying life have been enhanced by Vernon Sanders' quote: “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    from mom: "don't shop with champagne tastes when all you've got is beer pockets"
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile

Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)